ake0404ar

Show Me The Money, But How Much?

Thu Feb 08, 2001 12:38 am

Hello,

I know that Chris just asked that question not too long ago, now I will bother you guys with mine.

This is the photo

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Vasco Garcia

Company who wants to use it is
http://www.sensis.com

and this is the e-mail, looks like they want to purchase the whole thing.

That is my initial e-mail:
Hello Dana,

thank you for your interest in using one of my pictures. Are you working
for the Sensis Corporation ( www.sensis.com) ?

As much as I would like to give you a price for the usage right now it all
depends on how you would use the picture?

Brochures? What would be the circulation / publication?
Ads? Where would these ads be seen? National, International?

Poster? Who would be the end user of the poster.

Would you like to use it in an ad, brochure, poster, or all the above?
What happens to the copyright? This will stay with me or would you like to
buy the copyright of the picture?
Would it be a one time use only?

Let me know and we can certainly work out a price which suits both of us.

and this is her answer:

She wrote:
the use would be exactly as I described, all kinds of things.
We'd like it to be unlimited. We are not big advertisers and our usual
brochure run is under 2000. But we want flexibility to use the image for
anything we want. Unlimited usage.

I guess the magic word here is unlimited usage and that pinpoints the price. But how much?

Are USD 250.00 in a range you would think is ok?

Thanks for the input.

Vasco

Thom@s

RE: Show Me The Money, But How Much?

Thu Feb 08, 2001 12:43 am

Have you suggested that price to those who wish to use it?

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

Jan Mogren

Thu Feb 08, 2001 12:49 am

Vasco,
You should get way more than that.
In a Swedish brochure from the branch I read
prices like $1000 for this, $700 for that and so on.
Those are all one off. And you still have the copyright in those cases I read.

In your case they want it all!
LOTS MORE $$$$$$$$$$$$$
Very hard to say just *how* much ...
/JM
AeroPresentation - Airline DVD's filmed in High Definition

Granite

Thu Feb 08, 2001 12:51 am

Hi Vasco

I don't really have an answer for this one.

I did sell a shot for unlimited useage a few years ago for 65.00GBP.

Possibly Lawrence Feir, Joe Pries or Jan Morgen might have a better idea on this as they have a lot of dealings with companies etc.

Whatever happens and whatever you get, save some of the money to buy me a drink if I ever come over to Boston  Smile

Regards
Gary Watt
Aberdeen, Scotland

Scooter

Thu Feb 08, 2001 1:05 am

I'm a graphic designer, and here is what one of our suppliers usually charges for a "royalty free" image (an image that we buy the rights to and are free to use as we wish):

600K 72dpi:
US$29.95

10MB 300dpi:
US$99.95

28MB 300dpi:
US$179.95

Note that these prices are for stock photography. You might be able to get a little more...but I wouldn't think a smaller company would pay up to 1k(US) for an image. But who knows. Throw a price at them, and if they balk, negotiate a little.

Good luck!
My name is Scott, and I am addicted to writing trip reports.

joe pries

Thu Feb 08, 2001 1:34 am

Vasco,
She also contacted me for usage yesterday for one of my photos (similar to your photo but a day shot) and i gave her a price- but she didnt bite. btw 250 is nuts- unlimited means they can use the photo for what they want whenever they want forever- worth more than 250 no?

This is a message to ALL of you out there- DONT GIVE YOUR PHOTOS AWAY for just a few bucks. If they really want your photo they'll pay. I've been doing this for 12 years, i know.

ake0404ar

Thu Feb 08, 2001 1:43 am

Joe,

I know what unlimited means and I guess USD250 are a joke, but how high can I go........similar what Jan said.........750USD range?

Vasco

brownphoto

Thu Feb 08, 2001 1:48 am

Hello All -

Concerning an amount of money to charge for the release of all rights to a photo you must consider what you are giving away.

If I were in Vasco's position, I would be starting at $2500, and maybe accept $1500. I would also state that the photo can remain in the A-Net database. Remember, if you sell the copyright, you would have to remove it from the database, as it is not yours anymore.

As an aside, one of the photos I took of the USS Constitution sold to a military helicopter manufacturer, all rights and usage, and I got $5000. I'd show you the photo, but since I don't own it anymore...  Smile

Anyway, hold out for big bucks if they want the copyright. If they only want SOME usage rights, then negotiate in good faith for what you feel is reasonable.

If you need more help with this, please e-mail me directly, and I can help you out.

Joe Brown

joe pries

Thu Feb 08, 2001 1:51 am

because it is a small company that is not widely recognized like a GE or Honeywell i'd go in the 500-750 range Vasco. If it was GE or Honeywell the number would be around 10 times that.

joe pries

Thu Feb 08, 2001 2:41 am

to Joe Brown- you have to take the shot into consideration too when pricing- my shot and vasco's shot can be taken again any day- for Vasco's you need a rainy night, mine was a sunny day. If it was a shot that is hard to replicate or required travel to a far away (expensive) place then that figures in too.
This should be a lesson to all of you though that a company such as this is shopping around airliners.net with the different photographers hoping to grab someone who doesnt know any better and will sell them an image for 50 bucks. Dont be a fool and give things away for nothing.

Scooter

Thu Feb 08, 2001 2:55 am

Joe just hit it smack on the head. If they don't like your price, they'll pick another photo from another photographer in search of something lower. After all, there are nearly 140,000 photos on this site alone to choose from.

Competition is a bitch, so you need to be considerate when you state your price. Throwing out a highball number without much thought to the actual VALUE of the photo will kill the sale.

I agree too that if this were a major corporation, you could get some big $$ out of it...but since this is a smaller company, don't expect a large amount. Even the fortune 500 company I work for would simply laugh at a quote of $1500 for a stock photo. Surely we could find something cheaper...

mikephotos

Thu Feb 08, 2001 3:00 am

Unlimited can mean different things and you should have full terms agreed upon before proceeding. You can license (you retain copyright) the image for unlimited use but still set length restrictions. For example, one-year unlimited. Even for a one-year unlimited, I would say $250 to be on the (very) low end. Take Joe's (Pries) advice and ask nothing lower than $750. However, I would suggest going higher. I recently licensed a photo with very restricted one-year usage for several times that amount. Now, if they are asking for full unlimited length/usage and copyright release you'd be nuts to accept $250.

Good luck and hope it works out...

Michael

TomH

Thu Feb 08, 2001 3:29 am

Vasco,
This appears to be a shot you could replicate without too much trouble-or at least take a similar shot with similar subjects. The subjects are current, so it isn't an historic image. I would unhesitatingly jump at $250.00. That's 20 rolls of slides purchased, developed and mounted. Go for it now, before they settle on lesser quality for $25.00. And they will.
TomH

ake0404ar

Thu Feb 08, 2001 3:50 am

I had nothing before and it seems that I have nothing now. I gained some experience though and that is priceless.

I took Joe Pries figure USD750, added USD 150 to have a range I can play with and it seems that I lost as they could not do it or did not want to do it.

Nevertheless I e-mail back and asked for the price they want to pay. Let's see what happens.

If they don't reply anymore, at least I have an idea now for any future requests.

Thanks to all for the immediate input.

Vasco Garcia

Thom@s

Thu Feb 08, 2001 5:34 am

Tell us how it ends.  Smile
This could be of help to others who wish to sell pictures, without knowing how much to charge.

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

ake0404ar

Thu Feb 08, 2001 5:44 am

that was already the end of it. Did not sell it.

Vasco

p.s. Garry, don't worry about the beer. I still have some money left even w/o the deal.

Thu Feb 08, 2001 6:15 am

Hi Vasco,

Dean here, a friend of Gary's...

Have you seen Gary drink before...?

You'll need a few deals to keep this boy in beers  Wink/being sarcastic

Sorry Gary, am I exagerating again? (Don't worry though...I am saving for the Heathrow trip...lots of film and lots of beers  Big thumbs up)

Cheers (hic) all,
Dean

joe pries

Thu Feb 08, 2001 9:27 am

Vasco,
They didnt get back to me either- but i wasnt really holding my breath. I've been doing this for a while now and i know that when they want it, they WANT it and they want it yesterday and want to know how soon they can ge me to go fedex them the slide. when they want to play the "we cant afford to spend alot" games, i already know that im probably wasting time.

BO__einG

Thu Feb 08, 2001 9:42 am

Sorry to hear about the bust deal Vasco.
Your shot truly deserves the applaude by many,
Damm, this kinda surprises me that a cost of such an amount [5000] is recommended for a deal.
Wow.
But how do companies approach you to propose a deal to buy a photo?
is airliners.net the only resource companies use to get a photo they need? what are other ways?

Bo
Follow @kimbo_snaps on Instagram or bokimon- on Flickr to see more pics of me and my travels.

mirage

Thu Feb 08, 2001 9:48 am

I agree with Joe, when they really want something they want it fast. Recently I received an email from some advertising agency requesting a photo and the deadline was very tight for me as I received the email at 00:00 local time and they wanted the photo in the next morning but the problem is that I could not be waken more time and next morning I didn't have acess to internet so I couldn't discuss prices with them.

This is part of the email:

"...The ad itself is 5 inches square, but the jet would only occupy about 2 inches of that space. The bottom half of the ad is all text. I will need a digital file(300 dpi, approximately 6 inches wide) and you must be able to send it to me through email by tomorrow(Tuesday)morning. This is a very tight deadline, please let me know as soon as possible how much you want for the image and when you can deliver it."

I've send the picture but next day they replied to me saying that they have got another photo before mine.

Luis, Faro, Portugal

tappan

Thu Feb 08, 2001 10:19 am

This Economic downturn has hit some pretty good. I would have asked for $500.00 USD...Ihave been going for quantity...In other words, trying to get 4 or 5 "hits" (sails) a month...
Cheers
MG

tappan

Thu Feb 08, 2001 10:25 am

Also, In addition to asking for $500.00 I would have tried to get her to just take in a high res scan that I would e-mail her. That is all....No exclusive rights....I would still own it. I would get $500.00 She would get a web site photo a poster and a brochure...Nothing else...
Mark G

Thu Feb 08, 2001 10:32 am

I'm still learning the aspect of "money-for-photos" in the hobby, but I can definitely back up what Joe P, Mike M and some others have said. If a company wants your specific photo, they'll pay good money for it.
First of all, try and make any serious deals over the phone and not via emails. If they are serious enough, they'll want to talk details with you over the phone. That's a sign sometimes if they are serious or not...

I sold this photo here
Click for large version

Photo © Carlos Borda

a couple months ago to an ad agency. They found it here @ airliners.net. I gave the guy a price and he said he couldn't do it. I nicely told him OK thank you, bye. He ended up calling me back two weeks later to try and negotiate some more. We agreed to a price and "a contract." To me, the contract was very important because I sold them the photo for a little cheaper than the original price I quoted them. But in return, the contract states that my full name will be credited, I retain ownership and copyright of my slide and the photo cannot be on display for more than a year. This photo will be on a large display in Terminal C @ EWR airport starting this week or next. The moral of the story... hang in there and try and get what you feel you deserve. Camera's, film and countless hours at the airport cost a lot of money too. Many ad agency's and companies cry poverty when it comes to paying you a fair price.... but after all, your photo is an ad for them so THEY can make money off of it! They have the big money to play, so hang in there and negotiate what you feel is fair for you.

Carlos Borda

tappan

Thu Feb 08, 2001 11:10 am

Nice photos you all have posted on this thread...good stuff to you Vasco....You know, I wonder how many legitimate big company aviation sites have posted airliners.net stuff and have not asked to....I wonder.....
Cheers
Mark G
I wonder if any of mine are out there without my knowledge...HMMMMM

Dazed767

Thu Feb 08, 2001 11:28 am

Damn, maybe I got ripped (I thought I got a good deal). I had eyeticket corp. use my Saudi Arabian 744 coach class photo. They were going to blow it up, and crop some of it down, so they could actually play a movie on the movie screen. They gave me a range on what they paid, and I figured $150USD was fine. I probably could have gotten a lot more. ARG!!! Lesson learned there!

"We have bought several photos from various online sources for this project and the prices have ranged from $89 - $200 per picture. I am not sure if that
is inline with what you have charged for the rights to use photos in the past or not. Please let me know.
We can FedEx you a check if you could FedEx (using our account info) us the photo ASAP.

joe pries

Thu Feb 08, 2001 12:53 pm

i love it when a company says they're "prepared" to pay you x amount of dollars (usually not much of em)- you have the product and YOU make the price, not them. Dont be scared when they tell you that they have 5 other pics to choose from- its usually bullshit- they contacted you because they probably really want YOUR picture or its between you and maybe one other person.
One of my long time clients (a multi-billion dollar publicly traded company) who i've done business with for 4 years recently ended the relationship- you know why? he told me that why should they pay me $200 a hit when he can get the pics from Corbis.com for 39 bucks each- i told him that he's right and that he should go ahead and use Corbis, its a great deal if you can get the pics you need for 39 bucks. What he was probably trying to do was try to scare me into lowering prices substantially but there was just no way i was gonna do that. And this is a company with a market cap of about
$20 billion. Sad.

ake0404ar

Thu Feb 08, 2001 1:52 pm

What Joe just described this is excactly where the market is headed in every field of business.

It starts here or somewhere else and it ends at the deli aisle at your local supermarket.

The cheaper the better.......

They are trying to get away with the cheap product, but is that really the way to go?

From a business owners standpoint it absolutley makes sense but sometimes you get what you paid for.

And what was said earlier is true: If they want it, they'll pay, whatever the amount will be.

Bottom line, quality costs money.

Vasco

Scooter

RE: Joe

Thu Feb 08, 2001 2:00 pm

Hmm...

There is simply too much competition out there to be asking for more than $200 for just a picture of a modern airliner. I've said it a couple times before already in this thread: as someone who deals with stock photography on a daily basis, it's absurd to be charging people this kind of money when, as Joe just mentioned above, the client can simply go to Corbis or Photodisc to get what they want for 50 bucks. (Though I do agree that when it comes to a historic or rare shot, things are different).

Joe, because most of us here are newbies at selling our work, and knowing that you have many years of experience with this, I ask you this: why do you feel so strongly about charging more for your work than a stock photographer would? If you are claiming that you have expenses and time to cover, well, surely those other stock photographers have those same expenses too...

Aviation photography (hell, ALL types of photography) is extremely competitive. With so many shots to choose from, the client is almost always going to choose the best deal.

Forgive me if I sound ignorant (or if I'm totally off base)...I just really want to understand all this so I know how to defend my price when I sell my next photo.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Thanks Joe!

tappan

Thu Feb 08, 2001 2:16 pm

Are you sure that Corbis/Sigma is only $50.00.....I don't think so
MG

mikephotos

RE: Joe

Thu Feb 08, 2001 3:46 pm

Scott,

Why charge more than $200? Because there ARE companies willing to pay what we all deserve. Of course it depends on usage. I just received a PO in the mail today that I have to return with my invoice that is well over 20x that amount for a 1-year restricted usage license. True, it is for a major advertising agency for a major account but I wouldn't even consider charging only $200. Heck, I spend close to that much in film/developing/parking in one weekend of quality shooting. I consider what I (we) do more along the lines of assignment work (in advance) than stock photography. I don't think every job will warant a $5,000+ fee, some might even be worth only $200, but it's crazy to say you should not charge more than $200. That's just nuts...

Michael

Granite

Russian Mag

Thu Feb 08, 2001 5:47 pm

Hi all

I have just 'sold' a shot to a Russian aviation mag.

Not sold as such. They said that they cannot pay real money for the shot(?) so I am happy with a copy of the mag that the shot and article appears in.

I am happy doing it this way, but if it was for a big company I want the hard cash.

I am still upset and the well known BBC for pinching one of my shots for it's website. They never even contacted me. Someone pointed it out to me.

I did get an apology and they withdrew the shot. Should I have left it there?

And Dean..............I cannot remember the last time alcohol passed my lips. Not really a beer drinker and I have my six-pack to vouch for that! Stomach six-pack and not beer six pack!

Regards
Gary Watt
Aberdeen, Scotland

Thom@s

Thu Feb 08, 2001 11:24 pm

To bad they didn't buy your picture Vasco. Oh well, Their loss.  Smile

Thom@s

TomH

Thu Feb 08, 2001 11:32 pm

A little information for you to consider regarding profit. I had my first photo published in print around 1976. The majority of the 4000+ photos I have had published since were in magazines. (I am not talking here about internet publication.) Probably half of those photos were in publications many would call enthusiast or hobby oriented. These are not publications found on the newsstand. There was no payment for the photo in these cases, and often there was no payment for the article I wrote. That is the nature of these publications. They are low-budget (no budget) organizations that don’t particularly have a long life-span.

Of the other 2000 photos that wound up in “more significant” publications, I have received payment for perhaps 100. This includes publications found on newsstands and in bookstores. Where I have had the occasional article published, of course I tried to primarily use my own photos. I think it works well in that if you submit high quality photos along with an article, you are more likely to be published. (I can’t prove that last statement by the way, because I have never asked an editor why he took my article).
I cannot tell what I was paid for these photos that accompanied articles, because I have never seen the payment broken down. When I receive payment for an article in one of these “more significant” publications I have received about $50 USD per page.

So what about the other 1900 photos, you ask? Quite simply, I wasn’t paid at all. In a lot of cases I wasn’t even told the photo had been published. This includes hardbound books. I had a number of photos in Putnam’s US Military Aircraft and didn’t even know about them until 8 years after the book was published. Most of the aviation photographers I know have been in this position most of the time. I personally don’t expect it to be any different for most of you. If I am wrong, and you truly are making money with your camera selling aircraft photos, you have my hearty congratulations (and envy)!

Those few times I have received payment for publication of photos that did not accompany an article, I think the average payment has been in the $25 USD range per image. In many cases, these were older images that were of an “historical” nature. I have never been involved in an aviation image sale in the hundreds of dollars, and have never even heard of an aviation image sale in the thousands of dollars.
I suggest you will not realize figures like that with a sale to the aviation print press unless you have some sort of “photo of a lifetime.” An exclusive image where you are the only person who has it. In other words, not a Mig-29 crash at an airshow on the continent.

It appears to me that there are photographers on this forum who are very much more in control of the profit they make, and have in some cases been able to make professional contract agreements with their customers. It’s no coincidence they are the same people talking the bigger bucks. I would like to know how they stay in control of a sale and not scare away the prospective user of their images. My experience so far has been that most (not all) customers will go elsewhere if you attempt to control the conditions of the sale. Not that you shouldn’t, as Joe Pries has suggested, get the highest money for your images. I agree with this philosophy, but it will result in many customers simply vaporizing after their initial contact with you. That’s OK, if money was really what you were after.

That’s all I got.

TomH

mikephotos

Fri Feb 09, 2001 5:06 am

I have never been involved in an aviation image sale in the hundreds of dollars, and have never even heard of an aviation image sale in the thousands of dollars.

TomH -- it all depends on usage, usage, usage. While you're not going to get the "big bucks" with books, enthusiast magazine, etc.. you can with large ad agencies/corporations. While I don't sell to many images for "thousands of dollars" I do get plenty of "hunders of dollars". These are usually corporate brochures, small ads, etc. I also get my share of enthusiast magazine that sorta thing for small payments/free books. And, yes I get plenty of rejections or no replies. The rejections don't bother me like they used to, I know it's tough at first.

My experience so far has been that most (not all) customers will go elsewhere if you attempt to control the conditions of the sale.

Most of my "real" sells are usually done/confirmed/neg. over the phone. 9 out of 10 times they want the photo yesterday and you not only have to control the conditions but be ready to ship/deliver immediately. You can usually judge by the email if it's a serious (ie. willing to pay) client or one looking for a freebie.

I agree with this philosophy, but it will result in many customers simply vaporizing after their initial contact with you.

Can you consider it a "customer" if he/she/they weren't willing to pay (enough) for your services? One of the toughest part of this business is the initial "quote" and it takes time to acutally feel comfortable with quoting high fees. I know it took me a while.

Michael

skyliner

RE: Russian Mag

Fri Feb 09, 2001 11:27 am

Gary:
Even though the BBC subsequently removed the image at your request, in point of fact they did use it for their commercial purposes. You might want to consider sending them an invoice. Imagine what they would do if you wanted to use a tape of one of their programs to advertise your business!
George

Granite

Fri Feb 09, 2001 5:06 pm

Hi George

Thanks for your reply.

I actually worded my e-mail to the BBC along similar lines to your post  Smile

It would have been a good idea to invoice them but as I did not know how long the shot was on the website I thought best to accept the apology.

Thanks again.

Regards
Gary Watt
Aberdeen, Scotland

skyliner

Fri Feb 09, 2001 11:26 pm

Gary:
A reasonable approach. While it's annoying to have a shot "pinched", it's also useful to consider both how much real damage has been done, and if the error is acknowledged and rectified. Still amazing that a staffer working in a company producing copyrighted product could ignore the rather obvious notices about rights on the airliners.net site, however!
George

Invader

Sat Feb 10, 2001 5:51 am

A look at the recommended prices ("richtprijzen") of the Dutch Photographers Federation ("Fotografenfederatie") might be of some help. Look at http://www.fotografenfederatie.nl/rp/RP.pdf where you can find prices, specified for all uses imaginable. The first pages are giving prices in guilders (with the big "f" through the text), but from page 23 in Euro's (with the "e"). The Euro is at the moment around USD 0.92. The text is in Dutch, but I think you can nevertheless deduct a lot from it.

When I got a few requests for photo use, I stated the prices from above brochure : I got or no answer, or an answer saying that the price was too high. Next I tried half of those prices, and got the same results. Then I went to the other extreme to see what would happen and I asked only USD15 cash by registered mail (cashing a check costs around USD10 here !). It was accepted.

I'm glad I'm not a pro who has to live from it !

Peter

ake0404ar

Fri Feb 16, 2001 6:05 am

I guess patience and hard work pays off:

Finally sold this one for a good price (if you consider the time and effort I put in to take that pic)
to an advertsising agency who are producing posters for Pratt & Whitney.

Not a spectacular photo and one of my first additions to a.net. That one was even shot with KR64.

Click for large version

Photo © Vasco Garcia

Vasco

mikephotos

Fri Feb 16, 2001 6:41 am

Congrats Vasco, seems like a nice going away present.

Michael

thomasphoto60

Fri Feb 16, 2001 7:10 am

Say Vasco, this agency wasn't a London based agency by chance ?

Again Congrats.

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

ake0404ar

Fri Feb 16, 2001 1:44 pm

Thomas,

No it is based in Massachusetts.

KD

Sat Feb 17, 2001 1:55 pm

guys, just make it easy for you: sell them royality free to them but tell them that the right remains with you, that they may not resell it and that they may not use it for calendars. that's all. orientate with your prices around tonystone.com 's . that's stock, yeah. but they are at the upper end of the royality free range and that's what I would pay as a max if I asked for an image from a non-prof. photographer. it's as easy as that.

mail me if you need more information.

Cheers,
Christian Petersen-Clausen
Art Center College Of Design, graphics student
clausen@artcenter.edu

thomasphoto60

Sat Feb 17, 2001 2:10 pm

In essence what you are referring to is also know as 'one time rights'. Most stock houses sell only one time rights, only in rare cases will a stock house sell 'All rights' and that is when a client offers a sizable sum for a given image as well as the copyright, and only with the photographers permission.

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

Thom@s

Sat Feb 17, 2001 9:27 pm

Nice photo Vasco, nice to hear you got a sale.
btw. are you taking pictures for a living or just for fun?

Regards
Thom@s

ake0404ar

Sat Feb 17, 2001 9:33 pm

Just for the fun of it, but a lot of friends and fellow photographers here asked me the same question as you did Thom@s. They suggested I should do it full time, but this is really a hard business and there are so many good one out there. I guess I will keep it as a hobby until I take "the shot" and get famous ...................dreaming is ok, or?

Vasco

Thom@s

Mon Feb 19, 2001 1:55 am

Vasco, in my humble opinion, you have alot of "the shot"s in here. They just have to be discovered by the right person, and ta-daa; You have a full time job with photographing.  Smile

Keep up the good work.  Big thumbs up

Thom@s