Big Boys Vs. Regionals

Thu Mar 01, 2001 11:10 pm

Is it my amagination or are regionals alot harder to get a really good shot of.
I really like the look of the regionals but they are always hidden in one way in one way or another at the major airports like Chicago O'hare. I'm now shooting regionals at Appleton,Wi(KATW), Green Bay,Wi(KGRB) and Oshkosh,Wi(KOSH). These three airports are very close to each other and seem to have alot of differant regional at them from 1900's to MD-80's. The problem I seem to have now is do to there size its alot easier to get rejected as it is alot easier to pick up on errors (ie: out of focus tail numbers. dirty aircraft and vehicle blocking). When I take pics of 747 or 777 there near perfect every time however thats not where I want to be while the big boys are neat to look at my feeling is the regionals have real class. Can anybody give me some clues on photographing regionals.

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Dan Vanevenhoven

Click for large version

Photo © Dan Vanevenhoven

Thank you  Smokin cool
Dan

chris28_17

RE: Big Boys Vs. Regionals

Fri Mar 02, 2001 1:06 am

You are right, to get a small aircraft accepted it definetely needs to be a sharper image. I work here in Fort Wayne, (another AWAC city like the ones you mentioned).

In order to get a clear shot of say, a CRJ, you do need to be closer. (obviously, the plane is smaller) that is probably the most important tip.

Also i think its more important to make a regional picture more "artsy". Ramp shots of RJ's are kinda bland... probably 1/3 to 1/2 of all my shots are the regional carriers...

Click for large version

Photo © Chris weldy

Click for large version

Photo © Chris weldy

These next two are probably my favorite angle to take of smaller planes, i'll sacrifice the wingspan to fill up the picture with the rest.......

Click for large version

Photo © Chris weldy

Click for large version

Photo © Chris weldy

here are just some others...

Click for large version

Photo © Chris weldy

Click for large version

Photo © Chris weldy

i like this angle..

Click for large version

Photo © Chris weldy

I think that there is more (or should i say easier) artistic opportunity with these smaller regionals, but the trick is getting close to them... (make sense?)

if you have any other questions let me know... im off to hawaii tonite  Big thumbs up

CHRIS