cfalk
Topic Author

DFW Spotter Locations

Thu Mar 08, 2001 4:42 am

I'm heading to DFW tomorrow, and was wondering if anyone can point me to a map of the airport with spotting points marked. Call me stupid, but I find it almost impossible to find spots without a map, or addresses that I could find on a map. Whenever someone tells me "take a right, then left..." I end up in the next state.  Confused

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

jderden777

RE: DFW Spotter Locations

Thu Mar 08, 2001 6:14 am

you could e-mail josh rawlin at jrawlin@hotmail.com...otherwise known as "jr" on this forum...he could probably help you out with directions, but Founder's Plaza is good in the morning, and also the old general aviation area. founder's is located off of east airfield drive near runway 35C...if you follow E. Airfield drive around to the taxiway bridge near the threshold of 35R, there is a road that runs parallel to that taxiway and turns off of East Airfield drive. follow that road until you reach a curve and that is where airfield drive is....also on the other side (for afternoon) you might want to try the Lufthansa cargo building, and you can get pretty close to aircraft taxiing right by here, and the light is good in the evenings. you can get there by following West Airfield Drive around on that side. Also over there is the spot near the American Eagle hangar. you can get there by turning into the road that leads to the West control tower, the huge AA hangars, and the American Eagle hangar. follow the road until you reach the fence...you might want to stand in the trunk or something, because there are no holes (or at least there weren't) when i was there...expect a LOT of AA..:-P and some other cool interesting stuff...watch for the AA retrojet 757.

good luck!

jonathan d.

p.s...here's a pic from the spot near the AE hangar

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Jonathan Derden

and from the LH cargo building...

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Jonathan Derden

"my soul is in the sky" - shakespeare

JayDavis

DFW Locations For Spotting

Thu Mar 08, 2001 11:07 am

Jonathan is correct with the information he gave you. I was just out there with Josh. The sun was shining so brightly ! We waited until the LH Cargo MD-11F came in, but it was already too dark. We were right by the LH Cargo facility. I really feel that is the best spot at the entire airport and yes, you can stand in your trunk and avoid the fence. I get great shots from this location. I think you'll like it over there, but I've heard it is supposed to rain tomorrow. If you want my cell phone number, send me an e-mail and I might try to meet you over there.....

jderden777

Thu Mar 08, 2001 11:20 am

whew..i was worried about all that..wasn't sure if it was correct or not...i haven't been down there since last..june...
as a matter of fact i'll be heading down that way again soon...and jay: maybe my friend Jonathan Birdwell and I can meet up with you and Josh! we can have a big party! anyone else want to join in? sometime in the summer. anytime works for me!

peace
jonathan d.
"my soul is in the sky" - shakespeare

BO__einG

Thu Mar 08, 2001 12:25 pm

Sure I'lk join you folks at DFW..
When ?? Tomorrow??

I'll be in Calgary.. Probably we can chat thru a laptop or somethin/./ bwahh!

Bo
Follow @kimbo_snaps on Instagram or bokimon- on Flickr to see more pics of me and my travels.

cfalk
Topic Author

Thu Mar 08, 2001 1:36 pm

I'm getting on my plane to DFW in about an hour.

Hey, Could anyone take a picture of my arrival in DFW? I'm arriving on Sabena at 2:10pm. I keep a little collection of pics where either I or someone in the family is on board at the time.

JayDavis, It'd be cool to meet up. Can you send me your cell phone # to c_falk@yahoo.com (don't use my other e-mail - I won't access it until next week).

Cheers

Charles

classic707

Sat Mar 10, 2001 12:26 am

Is anyone going to DFW on 3/11 or 3/12? I'll be there. I know the weather won't be the best but I made the reservations way in advance.

cfalk
Topic Author

Sat Mar 10, 2001 8:51 pm

I might be, but it depends on how early I can get away from my relatives (I'm here for a funeral). I did manage to go to DFW on Friday for a little while, and met up with Brian Peters (by accident), another shutterbug on a.net.

Small world.

Charles

classic707

Sun Mar 11, 2001 1:42 pm

if any one wants to meet up with me I'll be arriving on American Airlines Flight 536 at around 11:30am