BA
Topic Author

Is Infinite Best For Approaches/take-offs?

Sun Mar 25, 2001 6:56 am

I'm going spotting tommorow, and I'll be using my 80-320MM lens again. My lens is infinite past 50ft. Do you recommend I use infinite the whole time? I am almost positive that I will NEVER be any closer than 70 feet of the plane. Would infinite be the best choice?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards.
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

FastGlass

RE: Is Infinite Best For Approaches/take-offs?

Sun Mar 25, 2001 7:04 am

If you trust your 80-320 as much as you say you do, why not use AF and let the camera/lens decide? The tolerances on ALL lenses do not guarantee that infinity is what is depicted on the lens. Many lenses will actually focus PAST infinity and then you might find yourself in trouble...

BA
Topic Author

Sun Mar 25, 2001 7:08 am

Okay I'll use AF. Although most photographers don't trust AFs at all, and recommend I use MF. But I get your point.

By the way, my camera isn't like Canon SLRs, the AF is in the body, not the lens. (which is a good thing)

Thanks for your help.
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

BA
Topic Author

Sun Mar 25, 2001 7:11 am

By the way, earlier you were saying that the reason my photos aren't sharp is because of my lens. Well it can't be my lens, or else all of my photos would have turned out blurry. A majority of them turned out REALLY sharp. I am 98% sure the reason my photos turned out blurry is because of Camera Shake.
Anyways, when I go spotting tommorow, I will be sure to have a steadier hand.

Thanks again.

P.S. Do you recommend a Tripod?

ckw

Mon Mar 26, 2001 6:09 pm

Used properly, a tripod is an assett in some situations - eg. where you know pretty well where the aircraft is going to be in easch shot, and you won't be swinging the camera around trying to get shots at different angles. But a cheap, lightweight tripod is a liability, lulling you into a false sense of security. To provide stability you need rigidity and weight, esp. if there's a wind blowing. You also need a very smooth operating head, otherwise panning will result in a jerky movement of the camera.

Cheers,

Colin
Colin K. Work, Pixstel