hkg_clk

What Camera Can You Recommend For A Beginner?

Fri Apr 20, 2001 2:49 am

I would like to start taking some good photos of planes. What is the equipment I will need. Can someone recommend what camera I should get, and what kind of lens I would need?

Please don't suggest something too expensive, I need to keep the cost down, although I don't really have a specific budget.
See my homepage for a comprehensive guide to spotting and photography at HKG

hkg_clk

RE: What Camera Can You Recommend For A Beginner?

Fri Apr 20, 2001 3:56 pm

Anyone can help?
See my homepage for a comprehensive guide to spotting and photography at HKG

LGW

Canon

Fri Apr 20, 2001 4:31 pm

Canon EOS I would say, with a 300mm lens

LGW

RE: What Camera...

Fri Apr 20, 2001 6:38 pm

Apologies to all for resurrecting this thread...or indeed adding to it...but...

My only advice would be this...

If you have a good spot where you can shoot aircraft on the ground then start with a cheap (but quality - there are lots around from Canon / Pentax / Nikon) used SLR with just manual focus - this will also allow you to get a modest selection of lenses for not big money. You will get shots good enough with this setup.

If you are limited to shooting moving aircraft (approach/takeoff shots) then consider autofocus, but still look for a nice used body and maybe get a good 70-210 zoom as this will tend to be smaller, lighter, and faster (larger maximum aperture) than a 300mm zoom.

After that you need really to learn and understand the scan techniques for your chosen film (print/slide) as this will be where you might find it gets difficult.

But remember, you do not need to spend lots of money on camera gear - there are thousands of perfectly good used bodies and lenses out there.

Good luck,
Dean

lewis

RE: What Camera...

Fri Apr 20, 2001 6:46 pm

Don't do the same mistake I did! Do you have a tight budget? Even if you do, don't buy a cheapo camera with a bad lens. I did the same mistake and after a year, I discovered it wasn't sufficient enough. At least buy a Canon EOS Rebel 2000 (or EOS 300 in Europe). If you can afford it buy a Canon EOS 33 or 30. The 30 has Eye control focus (not very important) and the 33 doesn't. In HK, you might find all these cheaper. And buy a good lens. For Canon cameras, make sure your lens is USM, it will be faster and quieter and there wont be a huge difference in price. Ask for prices for these models and make your choice.