fox1

Am I The World's Worst Photographer?

Thu Apr 26, 2001 8:07 pm

Is it a question of the 'eyes of the beholder' or that the
'beholder' has no eyes? I claim the Airliners Net rejection record of 17 rejections out of 17!

On a score of 1 out of 4 acceptance rates, I must rate
ZILCH1 };-(

cfalk

RE: Am I The World's Worst Photographer?

Thu Apr 26, 2001 8:49 pm

Keep trying. I think we ALL started out like that. I know I did, anyway.

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

fox1

Thu Apr 26, 2001 9:28 pm

>>Keep trying. I think we ALL started out like that.
I know I did anyway.>>

I'm running out of time age-wise and location-wise.
Edinburgh isn't exactly one of the World's sunniest
places. We have had 8 sun-less daysin the last ten! :-(

Thu Apr 26, 2001 9:35 pm

Ok then...no sun...don't take pictures!!!

Many people will tell you, if the sun don't shine, don't waste yer time...

I know how you must feel...I live close to EMA and the traffic there isn't exactly busy...and the weather here sucks too.

So...spend the time honing your scanning and post scan manipulation skills...ideally using a good, sharp, sunny shot...hey, if you don't have one, beg steal or borrow one...just to practise with.

Then, once you have that sussed, when the sun shines go take some shots...keeping it simple...maybe starting with stationary stuff...and see how you get on.

Good luck,
Dean

PUnmuth@VIE

Thu Apr 26, 2001 9:48 pm

I'm sorry but I have to disagree about the "no sun no pictures" point of view. I've been recently in Zurich two times, and each time it was raining and the results where not that bad (I think at least) because I had only 5 rejections out of 131. Sometimes wet concrete produces nice reflections.
About rejections: I don't think that you've got the record. Mine was 125 out of 129 because I added my URL to the copyright. So the whole sunday was spent with editing the photos again and resubmitting them.
Peter
-

cfalk

Thu Apr 26, 2001 10:07 pm

Peter,

I saw your pics, and they are remarkably similar to ones I took in december. Same weather and everything. Frustrating, isn't it  Angry. At least you got lucky with a little bit of sun and some reflections.

I agree that you can take some interesting pics in poor weather, but they are more difficult. Color balances are wrong, exposure is a bit messy, and you have to play a little bit with the picture to get it into good shape (At least I do.) For a beginner like Fox1, that would be like jumping into the deep end before learning to swim at the shallow end of the pool. Good-weather pics need much less work.

Here are the pics I took that day, if you are interested. See the simularities?

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?nr_of_rows=81&keywords=Charles%20Falk%20December%2022%2C%202000&first_this_page=0&page_limit=60&sort_order=photo_id+desc&thumbnails=photos&engine_version=3.5&nr_pages=6&page=

Cheers,

Charles

fox1

Thu Apr 26, 2001 10:58 pm

>>So...spend the time honing your scanning and post scan manipulation skills>>

I don't have an expensive scanner! I use a Canon EOS 300 c/w Canon 28-105 and Canon 75-300mm
Plus a 2.11 mil pixel digital.

Seems to me that success is down to a top-notch
mega-bucks scanner and slide film.

Is there an senior citizens Airliners.Net? :-((((((((((

Maybe my lottery numbers will come-up this weekend?

AndyEastMids

Thu Apr 26, 2001 11:17 pm

Hi Fox1,

I doubt whether you're the worlds worst photographer. We can't see your photographs, so we can only speculate on why they are being rejected. However, my tuppence worth is as follows:

My impression is that rejections fall broadly into three categories:

1. Bad original picture - too grainy (wrong film), out of focus, blurred, incorrectly exposed, etc.
2. Bad composition - bits chopped off, subject too small, things in the way, sloping horizons, etc.
3. Bad scan - contrast or exposure wrong, too grainy, etc.

You need to consider why your pictures are being rejected and sort out that particular problem.

If your rejections fall into group (1) above, the pictures are probably mostly unrecoverable and you need to go shoot some more pictures. Take note of the comments about sunny days and static shots to start with. But I doubt (1) is the problem as I doubt you are the world's worst photographer!

If its (2) that is the problem, there may be something you can do post-scanning to correct the problems - you can't bring back bits that were chopped off when the photo was taken, but you can correct horizons and you may even be able to crop out distracting stuff in the foreground etc. But if it is this that's the problem, next time you take some pictures, you need to pay more attention to the composition - don't rush your pictures and make sure everythings OK before you press the button.

However, seems to me that most people, when they have a problem, have a problem with (3). If this is the case, you need to practice and experiment with your scanning and post-scanning technique. Read the FAQs to make sure you're not falling foul of the image size, resolution or other rules that apply to uploads. Read the threads on scaning technique on this forum and try some of them. Have a look at other scanning sites like scantips. Look critically at your end result through a browser so you see it as it will be seen on airliners.net. Look carefully at the large versions of images on airliners.net to see if the sharpness, contrast, grain etc on your pictures are equivalent to the pictures that are already on airliners.net. If they're not, adjust your scanning technique and try again.

Whatever you do, give yourself a fighting chance. Start off with what you regard as your better / best pictures, or pictures of something interesting that isn't already on airliners.net - don't choose the stuff you shot most recently or stuff that's close to hand unless these are your best.

Finally, whatever the reason for your rejections, be honest with yourself - if what you see through a browser after you have scanned, cropped, retouched and saved as a jpeg is not as good as the majority of stuff already on this web-site, I'd honestly suggest that you don't upload the end result but instead start again with the scanning, etc. If you upload stuff that you know in your heart of hearts is not as good as what's already on this site, you know what will happen - don't subject yourself to that until you are as close as you can get to being 100% happy with what you are uploading. And if at the end of the day you can't make it work, ask some specific questions about the problem as you see it - there's people here who will try to help.

Andy

AndyEastMids

Thu Apr 26, 2001 11:32 pm

Fox1,

> I use a Canon EOS 300 c/w Canon 28-105 and Canon 75-300mm

Sounds like your camera gear is fine then  Smile

> I don't have an expensive scanner!

When I decided I wanted to start scanning slides and negatives (not specifically for airliners.net), I decided to buy a film scanner. It cost a bob or two, although no more than a new 35mm camera body I'd also have liked but now cannot justify. Buying the film scanner was a painful decision given the low cost of some flat bed scanners. However, I do know that the results have, even in three months I have owned it, justified the price - I'm pleased with the scanner.

I have no idea what problems can arise if you use a flat bed scanner, as I have never possessed such a device, although pretty much everyone here will recommend you use a film scanner. There are some relatively cheap ones around, even in the UK, which may be worth a little bit of research.

Andy

USAir_757

Fri Apr 27, 2001 12:04 am

>Seems to me that success is down to a top-notch
>mega-bucks scanner and slide film.

Ahem...I use an OLD Pentax ME-Super and a Pentax 80-200 zoom just as old...and a CHEAPO $190 slidescanner...

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © C. Wassell

Click for large version

Photo © C. Wassell

Hey, we all started somewhere...
http://www.geocities.com/aviationspotter/0008.jpg

Cullen
-Cullen Wassell @ MLI | Pentax K5 + DA18-55WR + Sigma 70-300 DL Macro Super

cfalk

Fri Apr 27, 2001 12:13 am

Fox,

Andy's comments are right on. I concur completely. I would add that your equipment is fine. I had excactly the same equipment until last fall, and got plenty of pics accepted, even with a flatbed scanner. Here are a couple of examples with that gear.

Click for large version

Photo © Charles Falk

Click for large version

Photo © Charles Falk

Click for large version

Photo © Charles Falk

And there are a number of senior photogs here who still use prints on flatbeds, I believe, so it can be done.

But a film scanner is definately worth it, if you can manage it.

Cheers,

Charles

Fri Apr 27, 2001 12:19 am

Hi Andy

>>>If you upload stuff that you know in your heart of hearts is not as good as what's already on this site>>>

Andy, I've been checking out the new uploads into this site for months
there's are still numbers of really poor scans (in my opinion).
I feel I can say this because I get weekly e-mails from Johan with his
acceptance/rejection opinions which I use to help me look harder at what I'm doing. But I'm still shocked by the number of low quality (current aircraft, not old) shots being accepted. I would never reveal these shots on this forum, but I do keep a track of them for comparisons.

To Fox1

Don't worry. I was getting replies as bad as that when I
was first venturing into this website. I think that trying to get
the "house" style is what you should aiming for.
These rejection e-mails allow you to see what's gone wrong
and have a second look.
It's worked for me and generally, it's accurate.

Cheer

EDIpic

AndyEastMids

Fri Apr 27, 2001 12:54 am

EDIpic,

I agree with you, but only to a limited extent. In my opinion there are very few "really poor" scans that have been accepted recently, except perhaps one or two where the subject is of exceptional interest, maybe historically, in which case I fully concur with the decision to accept the photo. In the end, is this site about photography or about airliners? I think its about airliners, and if a lesser quality (note I say lesser quality, not poor) picture is the only one available of something different, unique or interesting, I believe it should get accepted. But in the end, its up to Johan of course, not us.

I'm probably as guilty as the next person of having a few pictures here that might be described as "marginal" in quality terms. There's been one or two occasions when I've finished work on a picture and thought "well that's not brilliant", but I've still uploaded it. However, I only do that when I think the subject is particularly interesting or something new. I wouldn't do that if the subject was ten-a-penny on the site already.

The point I was trying to make was this: If anyone has done the best they feel they can do with an image and they think that it is of interest to the airliners.net community in general - if they think it will contribute something to the site overall - then I suggest they upload it and leave it to Johan to decide whether its worthy of inclusion. If a photographer hasn't done the best they personally think they can do with an image, they should really try again.

Surprisingly perhaps, I'd find rejection easier to take if I knew I'd done the best I could - the loss would not be mine as I'd still have the original picture. If I knew deep down I could have done better and I got a rejection, it'd be like being found out after doing a sloppy job, and I'd hate that!!!  Smile

Andy

chris28_17

Fri Apr 27, 2001 1:09 am

hey i havent read any other posts, but i know i've gotten FAR more rejects than 17!!! my acceptance percentage at first was about 0.000001%

but keep at it, my last 50 pics have been all accepted w/o warnings, (100%) its not as hard as i thought it was!

Smile

CHRIS

Thom@s

Fri Apr 27, 2001 1:25 am

Are you the world's worst photographer? No that would be me. Big grin

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

fox1

Fri Apr 27, 2001 1:38 am

<>

Your reply was very informative and borne out by the fact that some of my worst shots at Schipol were
accepted! :-( Check-out my April 2001 shots on
www.edinburghairport.org.uk - photo gallery.
Shots on airliners are under Joe Curry.

The earlier standard shots I'm not particularly proud
of. :-( Yes I will perserve even if it means lying on
the runway for approach and take-off shots.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy)

fox1

Fri Apr 27, 2001 1:45 am

>>Sounds like your camera gear is fine then <<

I use an Olympus 2100 digital most days. Images are
easier to retrieve and compare to a 35mm image
when blown-up to 10x8.

I think the same old 'furniture' at EDI is part of my
problem. Perhaps I should take that trip to BFS
after all? ;-O

fox1

Fri Apr 27, 2001 1:51 am

>>Ahem...I use an OLD Pentax ME-Super and a Pentax 80-200 zoom just as old...and a CHEAPO $190 slidescanner... <<

I think I'll perserve with the Oly and trade-up next year
to a G1.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

thomasphoto60

Fri Apr 27, 2001 1:52 am

No Thom@s...I am the world's worst photographer! Smile/happy/getting dizzy

"Show me the Braniffs"

fox1

Fri Apr 27, 2001 1:53 am

>>To Fox1

Don't worry. I was getting replies as bad as that when I
was first venturing into this website. I think that trying to get
the "house" style is what you should aiming for.
These rejection e-mails allow you to see what's gone wrong
and have a second look.
It's worked for me and generally, it's accurate. <<

Is there room for two of us at ABZ? } Wink/being sarcastic

fox1

Fri Apr 27, 2001 1:57 am

>>hey i havent read any other posts, but i know i've gotten FAR more rejects than 17!!! my acceptance percentage at first was about 0.000001%<<

The 17 on this 'round' are to be added to a few dozen
on previous 'rounds'. :-(

Thom@s

Fri Apr 27, 2001 1:58 am

thomasphoto60, we should have a company called "Thomas and Thomas, crappy photos while you wait." Big grin

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

ckw

Fri Apr 27, 2001 1:59 am

Joe,

I see you have one big advantage over me and many of the rest of us ... I your profile says you're retired! I hope this means that you have a little more time than some of us, and best of all the luxury of being able to get all those shots I'm missing while stuck at my 9-5!

I've said this before in this forum, but its worth saying again - if you live in the UK, you can't afford to let weather put you off - try and use it to advantage (clouds, reflections etc.) Try using Reala for good results when the weather stinks.

Cheers,

Colin

Colin K. Work, Pixstel

fox1

Fri Apr 27, 2001 1:59 am

>>but keep at it, my last 50 pics have been all accepted w/o warnings, (100%) its not as hard as i thought it was! <<

Alright if I submit the pics to you instead?  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Fri Apr 27, 2001 2:28 am

>>> Is there room for two of us at ABZ?

Surely you know who I am Joe?
I don't visit ABZ, you must be thinking of someone else.
I'll probably see you at the Ingliston fence next week!
(a Micra isn't it?)
The EDI furniture is okay. You just need time to get the best ones
in good daylight.

EDIpic

USAir_757

Fri Apr 27, 2001 3:26 am

Thomas, Thomas, you guys are NOT the world's worst photographers, stop rating yourselves so low!!

Cullen

fox1

Fri Apr 27, 2001 4:09 am

<I don't visit ABZ, you must be thinking of someone
else>>

Gerry! I was thinking of Granite.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy I'll be manning the
fence tomorrow, the forecast is reasonable.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Fri Apr 27, 2001 7:59 am

I know it is hard to get your start at A.net.

But belive me if you get one accepted you will going
to scan scan scan and more it was a dream come true for me to see how many people looked at my photgraphs and I have only seven online now.

You have to practice ad your scan skills it took me weeks before my Pictures got accepted.

And rain, sun, snow or any other wheater any photographer will shoot a couple for the collections
and I could know hen it's raining in the The Netherland there are many photographers at schiphol Airport why? it's the most awesome way to take shots from airplanes who are drinking lots of watter into the engines when they pull full reverse throttle. wow  Smile

I hope you go on with sending in pictures don't be afraid when you are on you can't stop  Smile

Cheers and good luck offcourse please by the way let
me know when some pictures of you are online so I will view them and give you credit.

Cheers,

Jeffrey van Beek EHAM The Netherlands

thomasphoto60

Fri Apr 27, 2001 8:03 am

Cullen,

We were only kidding around.

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

USAir_757

Fri Apr 27, 2001 8:48 am

lol Thomas ok then i dont mind  Smile

Cullen

BO__einG

Fri Apr 27, 2001 1:55 pm

Ive been suffering the Klumps too.
Recently Ive been gettin emails from fellow spotters at my airport who use this site and they say that they really love my photos.
I am basically the only person who photos at Calgary.
Compared to say Boston or JFK as theyre are many who shoots and uploads at this site.
I find my being the only one representing my city to be quite unique but harsh and tough.
My acceptance has been on the low run still.
I have ya.. 47 or so.. but thats after like 2 pictures beign accepted out of 10 for a period of months.

I blame the grain for the lowness but what do I do to get rid of that during scan or to make it finer.
Theyre conkin huge!
I use ISO100Film negatives and Boof! crappy by all!
If Im lucky Im goin to airport tomorrow after sschool and take some shots using my (ya Provia I loaded which was incomplete) Hopefully Prince Charles will stop by and Ill be a korean papparazi snapping at him. Big grin
I guess I will keep trying uploads.. even though I wait for like a month to get liek 1-2 pictures accepted.. lota warnings thou..  Sad

Bo
Bo
Follow @kimbo_snaps on Instagram or bokimon- on Flickr to see more pics of me and my travels.

LGW

Fri Apr 27, 2001 4:04 pm

My advise to you is this. I know the weather isnt amazing but, search around on the web for cheap flights and book a flight from EDI (taht was your local wasnt it?) to LHR. You can if your lucky fly for around 70 quid retun, fly down here in the summer stay the night and spot till u drop at LHR! Loads of amazing airlines/aircraft good spottin areas and more chance of sun than scotland!

LGW

PS If you do do what I suggest and visit LHR, take a look at my website http://www.intoplanes.co.uk for info on spotting there, good luck

Granite

Joe & Gerry

Fri Apr 27, 2001 4:22 pm

Hi

What's all this talk about me Big grin

I was actually thinking about visiting EDI this comming weekend but:

1. Mail order films from MX2 have not arrived yet.
2. Weather forecast is so-so.

How are the queues on the Forth Bridge??

Regards
Gary Watt
ABZ

fox1

Fri Apr 27, 2001 9:20 pm

>>How are the queues on the Forth Bridge?? <<

Keep away from the rush-hour periods and you will be
fine. The best time - if you can manage the early rise
is 6am-10am. something like 80 + movements.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Granite

Joe

Fri Apr 27, 2001 9:52 pm

Hi

Unfortunately, my film did not arrive in the lunchtime post so no EDI for me this weekend  Sad

If I plan a photography trip to EDI or GLA I usually leave ABZ around 5.00am for the 2 hour drive down.

I will keep watching the weather forecast and plan a trip soon.

Regards
Gary Watt
Aberdeen, Scotland

Fri Apr 27, 2001 11:50 pm

Ahem..... The "Forth Bridge" is a railway bridge.
Suggest to drive over the "Forth Road Bridge"  Wink/being sarcastic when you decide
to come down Gary.

Take care

Gerry/EDI

fox1

Sat Apr 28, 2001 12:42 am

>>My impression is that rejections fall broadly into three categories:

1. Bad original picture - too grainy (wrong film), out of focus, blurred, incorrectly exposed, etc.
2. Bad composition - bits chopped off, subject too small, things in the way, sloping horizons, etc.
3. Bad scan - contrast or exposure wrong, too grainy, etc. >>

My impressions are:

1. I am not using Linux?

2. The 1024x728 rule that allows 'untouched' photos
is rubbish!

3. Bang goes my chances of getting any acceptances
ever again!

4. I'm an old man and cynicism is part of the ageing
process. :-(

fox1

Sat Apr 28, 2001 12:45 am

>>If I plan a photography trip to EDI or GLA I usually leave ABZ around 5.00am for the 2 hour drive down. <<

Remember the Excel on May 1st!

b757300

Sat Apr 28, 2001 1:18 am

Hey Fox1, I can fully understand how you feel. I've uploaded about 150 photos and had every single one rejected. The truth of the matter is that it is almost impossible to get any picture accepted unless you are one of the established photographers.
I am still annoyed over the rejection of one particular picture. It is of a Continental 777 landing in Houston after it had been raining all morning. When it touches down, it creates a massive spray of water. Now I figured this would get accepted since it was somewhat unique but I got the typical "low quality" e-mail a few days latter.
I still find it funny how the "established" photographers can upload a really crappy picture that isn't unique or special and it gets accepted. Then a nobody like me uploads a picture that is clear, sharp, and bright enough where you can read every number on the aircraft and it is rejected.

If I were you Fox, I'd give up on it. It takes more time and money then most people want to spend and even then the chances of acceptance are almost ZERO.
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

fox1

Sat Apr 28, 2001 1:47 am

>>Hey Fox1, I can fully understand how you feel. I've uploaded about 150 photos and had every single one rejected. The truth of the matter is that it is almost impossible to get any picture accepted unless you are one of the established photographers.>>

You have put me into my cynical mode! :-( How on
earth can any mortal process manually, some 2.5K
photo's in 7 days.? There has to be a auto selection
process somewhere.

I am hard pushed to answer my 150 plus emails per day. (But then I do not have Linux.) :-(

I get glowing appraisals of my web-page pics and that
satifies my ego. Its great to discover that one's
rejections are appreciated elsewhere.

One of my rejections was snapped-up (no pun intended)
by a UK airline who viewed it on the undermentioned
binaries newsgroup.

The binaries newsgroup is free.uk.binaries.edinburgh-airport. Its worldwide, lets
see your pics there.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

I'm not attempting to divert submissions, just
rejections  Wink/being sarcastic

thomasphoto60

Sat Apr 28, 2001 3:16 am

Hello Eric (B757300)

I would like to see the CO 777 photo that you described in your post. As I have a few pics taken at IAH. If you don't want to post it here, you can e-meil me the pic. My e-mail addres is in my profile.

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

Sat Apr 28, 2001 4:17 am

Funny, I have noticed one strange thing.

At what time did you get your e-mail Fox1?
I seem to get a higher rejection rate when the photographs
are all manually examined in the early hours of the morning
(replies back around 2am-4am UK time)
Has anyone else noticed?
I just can't help thinking that tiredness plays a part.
I get more conciliatory e-mails when replied during
European daylight hours.
This may account for some of my more "mediocre" acceptances
in the past. Everybody who has shots in here must know what I mean.

No offence, just a human observation.

Gerry/EDI

Ikarus

Sat Apr 28, 2001 4:39 am

"If I were you Fox, I'd give up on it. It takes more time and money then most people want to spend and even then the chances of acceptance are almost ZERO."

That is not good advice. I am not a good photographer, and my 20 pictures on this site don't put me anywhere near being a respected photographer. I have a rejection rate of somewhat around 80-90% - often, no pictures at all get accepted.

And yet, I still believe it is important NOT to give up. My scanner is crap (it takes 20 minutes or more per print, about a third of the area cannot be used because it always gets this odd yellow-tones, it is a parallel scanner, and the scan control software is a nightmare) - and still I sometimes manage to get one picture or two accepted. I feel the few hundred views these pictures generate make it worthwhile... (well, not exactly those of my pictures that refuse to be viewed more than 50 times by anyone....  Big grin )

If your photography is good, then the scanning and processing bit is probably the easier part...

Regards

Ikarus

PS: No reason to get disillusioned and accuse all the good photographers in here of only being successful because of their software.... I'd guess that 90% of uploaded pictures are not interfered with much.

Jan Mogren

Sat Apr 28, 2001 5:56 am

>My impressions are:

1. I am not using Linux?

2. The 1024x728 rule that allows 'untouched' photos
is rubbish!

1. What has this got to do with anything?

2. What is wrong with this?

Just wondering

/JM
AeroPresentation - Airline DVD's filmed in High Definition

Scotty

Sat Apr 28, 2001 6:52 am

Joe

A bit off topic - I agree with your website comments re BAA's monopoly on Scotlands airports. I would like to see EDI operated by an independent operator who will really put some serious investment in a la Manchester

Think Ive probably seen you at the fence.

Cheers

Scotty

fox1

Sat Apr 28, 2001 6:49 pm

>>A bit off topic - I agree with your website comments re BAA's monopoly on Scotlands airports. I would like to see EDI operated by an independent operator who will really put some serious investment in a la
Manchester <<

BAA categorise routes and traffic to certain airports
and its only the insistence of airlines and tour
operators - probably the threat of using PIK - that
challenges their decision not to allow them into EDI.

BAA have BIG plans for GLA but thats their choice and
not the choice of the pax. EDI is the most accessible
Scottish Airport. A fact highlighted by EDI outperforming
GLA on every route they compete on.

>>Think Ive probably seen you at the fence. <<

Everybody has seen me at the fence! I was there at
0745 this morning.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

fox1

Sat Apr 28, 2001 6:54 pm

>>At what time did you get your email<<

I think a backlog of some 2,500 photos is a reason
for a 'cull'.?

aerorobnz

Sun Apr 29, 2001 1:06 pm

my first couple have been rejected, it seems to be the scan quality, because the actual photos look as good as most of the photos that make it here, so I will get them scanned better and try again.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.