Fly-K
Topic Author

Have You Been Yelled At?

Sun Apr 29, 2001 6:21 am

Has anyone ever written to you to complain about some comments you wrote under your photos?
It's happened to me a couple of times now...
Sometimes I try to write funny or witty comments under my photos to make it a bit more interesting, but some don't seem to understand and write me, even using obscene language...
The most recent one was for my photo of the Libyan A300, which is ex-Egypt Air, with a Jordanian registration, so I made a comment on "Arab solidarity" and presto, some smart guy thought he needed to yell at me.
I've nothing against constructive feedback, don't get me wrong.
Please share your experiences if you want to.

Konstantin
Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been...

Dazed767

RE: Have You Been Yelled At?

Sun Apr 29, 2001 6:31 am

I'd yell right back! I had like 4 people email be about my remark on an ERJ. I had "jet powered puddle jumper", and a few pilots got on me about that, and that it can fly far etc. I finally removed it.

thomasphoto60

Sun Apr 29, 2001 6:52 am

Same here, with the comments I made about DL's current livery. I said something to the effect "Deltaflot's horrible new livery! " well, needless to say that got a lot of DL employees and supporters a little irrated, I was receiving e-mail after e-mail....and none were supportive of my comments. Well I caved and finally deleted the comments. I still stand by my opinions though...That is one ugly livery!

Sorry DL guys!

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

mirage

Sun Apr 29, 2001 7:45 am

You can't pleasure everybody so if you don't like to receive that comments just don't comment your photos. If you like to comment your photos that way, you better be prepared to receive opinions.

Luis

AndyEastMids

Sun Apr 29, 2001 7:56 am

Round our way, we call ERJ-145s "Jungle Jets" because, well, in our imagination they're made in the Brasilian jungle. Next time I upload a picture of one I might add a comment to that effect... Wonder what sort of reaction that will invoke  Big grin

Then again, maybe I won't!!!  Big grin

Andy

Cathay111

Sun Apr 29, 2001 7:59 am

Andy,

Jungle Jets, I like that one alot!!!!!!

CM

thomasphoto60

Sun Apr 29, 2001 8:06 am

Yeah, CO calls them Jungle Jets as well, in addition to 'Flying Pencils'.

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

Night Hawk

Sun Apr 29, 2001 9:53 am

Flying Pencils somehow found its way to the Metro's here in Perth WA. It made me laugh when I first heard it.

rindt

Sun Apr 29, 2001 10:54 am

One time I got an e-mail from some guy who didn't like the fact that I wrote positive remarks about the beautiful backdrop here in Vancouver...
Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Rob Rindt

Whatever comment he made, it always had to include how something similar in the US was simply better (he listed many mundane examples), not because it actually was, but only based on the fact that it was in the US that made it better. I felt sorry for the guy... he was born in Halifax, and then moved to New Jersey... he was a jealous s.o.b, I think. When you have this
Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Rob Rindt

, who wouldn't be jealous ?  Laugh out loud

Regards,
Rob

What other people think of you is none of your business!

FastGlass

Sun Apr 29, 2001 11:06 am

I always appreciate technical comments; but comments such as "Isn't this beautiful", "See the pure thrust and power of these engines", "Climbing into a deep blue sky", "Rotating", "Landing", "Another departure to Europe", are a waste of bandwidth.

mirage

Sun Apr 29, 2001 11:28 am

FastGlass, at this exact moment I'm uploading photos with that kind of comments "Landing on rwy 28". Prepare yourself...

Luis
P.S. My english doesn't allow me for great technical comments.

psa188

Sun Apr 29, 2001 11:49 am

It's too bad that some folks have nothing better to do than complain about lighthearted comments like Fly-K made. And, the Deltaflot paint scheme sucks. I say, get over it and don't flame someone for making an offhand comment.

RE: nicknames for Metros-the best one I've ever heard is "San Antonio Sewer Pipe".

jasonm

Sun Apr 29, 2001 1:21 pm

Hi,

As Fastglass metioned, I think comments like 'Isn't it beautiful' and 'I've been on this one a few times' are really un-professional and some are downright emabarraing!!! OK, I may have been guilty of this too but I only enter what is necessary in the remark field now.

But it's interesting that some people actually really getting offended in some parts of the world. Maybe we should be aware of the cultural differences of airliners.net viewers?!?!

Thats my 2 cents worth anyway!

Cheers,
Jason Milligan
Melbourne Australia

chris28_17

Sun Apr 29, 2001 1:35 pm

Screw em, its your picture, say what you want...

tell em to take thier own pictures and do what they please w/ them

Cathay111

Sun Apr 29, 2001 4:39 pm

Rotating.....

Landing......

Airborne....

Climbing....

so what you would like to see is just the registration?

Johan, delete the remarks field IMMEDIATELY  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Guys, get real..... you wouldn't believe the e-mails that come in commenting on how enjoyable it is to read the stories behind this shot, and I know Frank will second this.....

Be warned, I am about to upload some more shot.... might put in a few special dedications I think!!

Fly-K
Topic Author

Sun Apr 29, 2001 6:59 pm

Fastglass, Jason, please ignore my comments then. But you know, some amateurs even have asked me if that plane is landing, taking off, which runway, or time of the day, so why not mention it once in a while.
Once in a while, a few more words then the plain registration make it more personal in my opinion, after all, isn't this like "our homepage", and not just merely a database?

Konstantin
Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been...

Blackened

Sun Apr 29, 2001 7:40 pm

"Landing" or "taking-off" is a must as a comment. So is the runway so that people who watch it know where it is. A little story sometimes isn't too bad.
Some people comment to much especially when there is nothing to tell cause it's a standard picture. But you don't have to read - who cares?
Bring it back, bring it back, bring it back

philb

Sun Apr 29, 2001 11:47 pm

If you wrote "This is a photo", there'd be someone here who would contradict you  Smile.

Its your work, you can type what you want

mirage

Mon Apr 30, 2001 12:16 am

PhilB, you can't write what you want just because it's your work. If must respect other cultures, if we could do whatever we want, our society would became an anarchy.

Luis

mirage

Mon Apr 30, 2001 12:29 am

Were I wrote "If must...", you should read "You must..."

EGGD

Mon Apr 30, 2001 12:46 am

Flying Pencils somehow found its way to the Metro's here in Perth WA. It made me laugh when I first heard it.

You mean the Metro 23's owned by Skippers Aviation?

They sure do!

EGGD

btw. Who cares what some photographer writes about his photograph. Someone goes out and critisize it they must be pretty sad. ITS A BLOODY PHOTO.

philb

Mon Apr 30, 2001 1:00 am

Mirage,

An artist, photographer, author can write exactly what they want about their own work. Its called freedom.

Respect for other cultures is a totally different issue. There was nothing wrong with the comment highlighted in the post at the start of this thread, it summed up the subject quite well.

Attempted censorship of this nature is anathema.

mirage

Mon Apr 30, 2001 1:24 am

ok, I think this is the kind of discussion where we're just going in circles. Art is subjective, so what you think can be well accepted comments, I may not have the same opinion. But I still think we should not make comments regarding relations between other countries such as "Arab solidarity" as these can touch politic sensible issues that we may not be aware of.

Luis

chris28_17

Mon Apr 30, 2001 3:13 am

Mirage & Phil

i see both sides but im a bit more with Phil on this one.

I agree, if i post a picture of a UA 737 and say in the remarks "I HATE STUPID PURPLE ESKIMOS" then thats just stupid; but i have a right to say that, even if it offends purple eskimos...

We cant avoid offending people, thats not to say we shouldnt try not to, but people need to quit crying about stupid things; political correctness is a spoke in the wheel of societal choas.

Im offended when people are forced not to say what they feel... whattya think of that??

CHRIS

PS. i dont really hate purple eskimos  Innocent

mirage

Mon Apr 30, 2001 3:33 am

Well Chris, I was educated to learn that if I want to be respected, I must respect the others. I don't say everything that goes through my mind, I try to be moderate, reasonable and not offending.

If you don't think this way, that's fine with me but be prepared for a life of conflicts.

Luis

chris28_17

Mon Apr 30, 2001 5:01 am

I've had more than my share of conflicts, but i find it better than being a fake person...

i have learned there is certainly a time to hold the tongue as well! so your point is taken!

CHRIS

EGGD

Mon Apr 30, 2001 5:13 am

Good points, i think the simplest point to be proved here has been said before 'You can't please all of the people all of the time'. If you write something funny, some will laugh, some will be offended. Simple as that.

EGGD

BO__einG

Mon Apr 30, 2001 10:01 am

Honesty is everything..
Well not quite but thats how I see most things as.
YOu express what you feel Verbally with words.
Ya some peeps will boot at yoou meh,.
its their life.

With Delta all bad,. Well I think its okay.. firstly I never seen it at my airport be4.
I have to critic Air Canada for their baffling livery that ketchup colored leaf with a what GREEn or BLACK>???> Background.
I rather hang that leaf on a tree and stick a goose or Robert Miltons face on it.. tehe that would be something of a sight.,

Bo
Follow @kimbo_snaps on Instagram or bokimon- on Flickr to see more pics of me and my travels.

Aussie

Mon Apr 30, 2001 11:58 am

Guys,

i had a very few onces .... one was about a Singapore 744 going home to Stinkypore ...

The other one i just received today from some Mr. Wise guy ....

Quote;

> >From: bob didder
> >To: frankinoz@hotmail.com
> >Subject: Your stupidity
> >Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 01:44:00 +0200
> >
> >You should learn how to spell.

> >Message was sent using the mail interface on Airliners.net
> >http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?id=158655

Despite living in Australia my mother language is not English (German in fact) - but the Subject did tick me off and he got a reply for it, too !

Rude bastard !!

Kindest regards from cloudy & windy Sydney,

Frank

high_flyr69

The Theory Of Being Yelled At

Tue May 01, 2001 5:33 pm

there is one major rule in trying to keep everyone happy
YOU CANT !!!!!!!!!!!
IF YOU TRY TO PLEASE EVERYONE ... YOU WILL PLEASE NO-ONE!
this is something I was taught at a very young age and it still applies to everyday life
and if someone does yell at you dont worry you can not be sure their opinion is correct either!
Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice Doggy' until you find the shot gun