planespotter

Is Airliners.net Creating A New Hobby

Fri May 11, 2001 8:15 pm

It seems to me that there are photographers, that started taking pictures of airplanes just for airliners.net. Perhaps they dont even "collect" paperphotos or slides - exclusivly upload them to airliners.net.

Do you think there is a new kind of hobby, which originated from Airliners.net? Are you such a Airliners.net-Spotter? What would happen if Airliners.Net stops existing sometime?

Stefan.

aerorobnz

RE: Is Airliners.net Creating A New Hobby

Fri May 11, 2001 8:34 pm

an interesting point, and also quite valid....I know I have found myself wanting to get my photo collection onto Airliners.net,in fact I have deliberately gone about getting the type of photos that Airliners.net usually accept, but the scan quality of my pics isn't good enough. When it comes down to it though, I just like having my albums & registration records, it is after all for my enjoyment.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

tappan

Fri May 11, 2001 9:23 pm

I have learned alot from you guys (and gals) that shoot for registration. I think it is a nice hobby to see w if you can shoot that jet twice or where and who has shot it before. Sometimes I get so caught up and excited about "framing" the photo (in the viewfinder), that I forget to shoot the reg. But I am trying to concentrate more to do that.
I have always enjoyed watching then photographing jets. This is not a hobby for me to (just to try to satisfy viewers here). It is to satify myself..It is a stress buster to hang out at runway's edge and wait for nice light or nice moon or whatever!!! But, a.net is a great way to share my work with friends who have the same passion.
Mark Garfinkel

Fly-K

Fri May 11, 2001 11:14 pm

Well, the least I can say is that a.net has given my long time hobby a new boost, with a great way to share my work and make new contacts. It's also kind of a sport to get my photos uploaded, and striving to do so, I've discovered new ways to improve my quality.

Konstantin
Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been...

Scooter

Sat May 12, 2001 1:12 am

Funny, I was just thinking about this yesterday. Anyway, if it wasn't for airliners.net, there is a very good chance that I would have never started photographing airplanes...

My love of commercial aviation has always been there, but I just didn't know that so many people really saw this as a hobby!
My name is Scott, and I am addicted to writing trip reports.

EGGD

Sat May 12, 2001 2:37 am

I suppose it is a hobby, in a weird way. Some people do shoot for Airliners.net but it is only a hobby, and they do it because they love it not because they want photo's on the site.

Its an interesting point but people wouldn't bother if they didn't like doing it.

EGGD
Save the TWFirst Volumes!!!

bodobodo

Sat May 12, 2001 5:21 am

I'm sure that I wouldn't have started if I hadn't discovered Airliners.net but I'm hooked now and couldn't see myself stopping if anything ever happened to Airliners.net. It's certainly a lot more fun, however, when you can share your photographs with others.

Cheers,
Felix

EGNV

Sat May 12, 2001 8:16 am

Yes, I think Airliners.net have created this hobby. I started out wanting to get my photos accepted by them and had no idea of the quality required! After a lot of rejections, I took some more practice and found some excellent spots. After jumping over the viewing are fence and pointing the lens through the ridicoulous mesh fence, I took some great shots and eventually got them accepted here! However, I'm now addicted to aviation photography and have set up my own site featuring all my photos! I'm off to Teesside tomorrow for some more.......JMC!