Scooter
Topic Author

Attn: ATL Photographers

Sun May 13, 2001 2:31 am

Look out folks...here I come! I'm real close to taking a job that would require me to be in ATL two weeks out of the month (commuting back and forth from SAN).

SO...I'm just curious to know what the 'scene' is like out there. Is there a large group of photographers? Can anybody give me a good list (or source) for approach/liftoff shots? I've done lots of terminal shooting out there, but am really looking forward to getting outside and exploring the airport fully. How is security?

Thanks for any help!

-Scott
SAN/ATL (soon to be, anyway)
My name is Scott, and I am addicted to writing trip reports.

lindy field

RE: Attn: ATL Photographers

Sun May 13, 2001 5:01 am

Scott, I don't know anything about photography at ATL, but let me at least congratulate you on your job offer. Assuming you take the job, take your camera with you when you're at SAN. Please see my wish list for airlines/aircraft photo uploads on the Photo Requests page. Any photos uploaded to airliners are appreciated as always.

Lindy Field

PS--Did you do a web search for planespotting at Atlanta? There are some good sites for California's airports. I don't know if there are any for ATL.

ake0404ar

Mon May 14, 2001 12:38 am

Scott,

take a look at my latest upload from ATL. Even though a lot of people say ATL is boring you have to find the right spots and there are lot's of them.........

Vasco

Scooter
Topic Author

Mon May 14, 2001 2:20 am

Lindy field:

Actually, I live in San Diego now...and I've been doing a fair bit of shooting in the past couple weeks. I've got a handfull of pics from SAN in the queue (SY 738, ATA L-10, BA 777, etc), so look for those soon.

Vasco:

Yeah, your shots from ATL are great!! Hopefully, I can do better!  Wink/being sarcastic I doubt that...

Anyway, what is the attitude towards photography down there? I'm used to southern California "who cares" security, and I'm hoping it's the same out there.

ake0404ar

Thu May 17, 2001 12:15 am

Scott,

Security is ok, southern hospitality!
Drive around the loop road and towards Northern Cargo area and you will find some spots to capture arrivals or departures.
Another good spot is the Renaissance Hotel.

Hope this helps
Vasco

rm-11

Thu May 17, 2001 12:17 am

The only place where I have seen a crowd is off loop road in front of 27L. This place is supposed to be closed off, but I always see people there. I have been told about a group that meets in a restaurant parking lot during the weekends, but I have not been able to found any of them.

I have found several spots in surrounding areas for spotting. Send me an email for directions to these locations.

Riz

Scooter
Topic Author

Thu May 17, 2001 12:43 am

Thanks, guys. I'll probably be heading out to ATL for a couple days next week, so I'll check those areas out (if I have time).

Much appreciated,

-Scott

G-CIVP

Thu May 17, 2001 5:09 am

Question. How come we get positive replies for photography locations at ATL, when asking about shots at Newark precipitates negative answers? Whats the difference?

brian_ga

Fri May 18, 2001 8:05 pm

Hi Scott,
I live in the ATL area and have found a couple of good places for photography around the north loop road area. Been lucky so far and never ran off by security. Let me know if I can help you out.

Brian
Keep looking up, that's the secret to life....Snoopy