Topic Author

Slide Trading And Copyright?

Thu Jun 07, 2001 8:48 am

I've just been reading the other post about the upload rules here and a lot has been said about slide trading there.
One thing came to my mind: What about copyright when a slide is traded. I mean there some people here (Joe, Michael) that seem to sell their slides. How can you make sure you still own the copyright of the picture. You're still the photographer but how can you prove it? So someone could buy a slide taken by a pro somewhere, scan it and upload it here. Has this ever happened to anyone? What can you do then? Is it legal?
Bring it back, bring it back, bring it back

RE: Slide Trading And Copyright?

Thu Jun 07, 2001 12:43 pm

Yes, someone could do that but most people who trade seriously are honest people that wouldn't even consider pulling a stunt like that. While there is no guarantee, I feel very confident that the people, make that friends, I trade with can be trusted. I've been trading for several years and never had a problem.

Thu Jun 07, 2001 2:12 pm

You must also consider the terms of the trade. Does a trade involve transferral of copyright? Selling photos for publication can do so (especially if you're a lowly amateur and the other guys a large publishing house that feels you should be honoured they even consider using your work).
I wish I were flying

Thu Jun 07, 2001 9:15 pm

As a point of information, under UK law copyright is retained by the photographer unless explicitly transferred to another party - doesn't matter who actually possesses the image, even if they paid for it.

But other countries may have different variations on this.

Colin K. Work, Pixstel

Thu Jun 07, 2001 9:42 pm

Further to Colin's comment, U.S. law is essentially the same--copyright remains with the original photographer unless transferred, in writing, or for the specific exception of "work for hire", which covers employees (such as a news photographer) or other situations agreed to in advance by the buyer and photographer.