Topic Author

Reality Vs. Perfectionism

Thu Jun 28, 2001 4:09 am

Recently I had the opportunity to try my luck at Faro Airport in Portugal (thanks to Luis for the spotting guide btw!).

I only sent 4 pics of the bunch of 200 to - and to my surprise, even the 4th got accepted w/out warning:

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Ingo Richardt

Am I just a lucky dog or is there something in the blur?

Ingo Richardt

RE: Reality Vs. Perfectionism

Thu Jun 28, 2001 5:50 am

#1 Great shot. I like that angle. #2. I think it is blury only because of the daytime heating there in Faro. That happens sometimes in some U.S. Cities as well.

#3 I think it got accepted because it was a nice shot besides the blur and its a great angle for the picture. Overall it looks neat!

Aaron Mandolesi
Denver, Colorado

Thu Jun 28, 2001 8:44 am

Hi Ingo,

I hope you have enjoyed your trip here. In late May the temperatures were extremly high for the season, now it's not so hot.

I like the photo, the blur was caused because of the very high temperatures on the runway and the use of 400mm I guess.

all the best from sunny Algarve

Luis, Faro, Portugal
P.S. Do you have 200 photos taken here? I would like to see.

Thu Jun 28, 2001 12:04 pm

Hello Ingo,

You are a "lucky dog" !!!! However, I must say you are very good in what you do. You captured a nice photo here. The human eye does not have ZOOM capabilities as do the cameras we all like to use. Had you captured this image from the vantage point it suggests - it would have looked different. I realize I am stating the obvious, maybe I have TOO MUCH TIME on my hands. However, one thing is certain, ZOOM is a true gift that should not be taken for granted - and you have used it well in this instance by capturing the energy of an airliner...

Thu Jun 28, 2001 5:14 pm

That's a pretty cool photo. It might have been better without the surface heat distortion, but hey, it's a different flavor, and the tire smoke looks good, and the fact that the cockpit area looks good compared to the rest of the plane.

I'm glad Johan accepted it. I would class it as an "artsey" photo.

The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

Fri Jun 29, 2001 5:57 pm

Actually I like the heat refections on the aircraft.

Good job.

Fri Jun 29, 2001 6:33 pm

Normally, I hate heat haze in a picture as it distracts from the image of the aircraft and makes the aircraft appear soft. However, in this case the heat haze makes the picture - it is different and rather imposing. Obviously, the photo would not have worked without the long-lens view.

Topic Author

Sat Jun 30, 2001 2:11 am

I think that makes the bottom line, Andy. I thought about uploading this candidate too, cause it shows half of the runway on the lower fuselage, including Rwy number, stripes, wing reflection and some more details (sorry Gary  Wink/being sarcastic), but that just makes not up for the overall (lack of?) quality.

Thank to all,