CO777-200ER
Topic Author

Digital Cameras

Thu Jul 12, 2001 8:42 am

Hello I was wondering are digital cameras good cameras to use of taking planes or would i be better with a camera. Also on digital cameras they say like 3x optical/6x digital what does that mean and what zoom is that really like 100mm or 70mm zoom.

iflycoach

RE: Digital Cameras

Thu Jul 12, 2001 8:59 am

Yes and no, digital cameras are good at taking pictures of aircraft if you can get fairly close to them like Granite & AirNikon can, they aren't the best how ever if you need to shoot over a fence where the only thing that would cut it would be 400mm. When they talk about zoom FORGET ABOUT THE DIGITAL ZOOM this is one of the most worthless features the camera makers throw on there, and I think it is just for the less educated consumer. You want to look at the optical zoom, a 3x optical zoom on my C-3000 works out 32mm - 96mm lens

CO777-200ER
Topic Author

Thu Jul 12, 2001 9:01 am

Thanks you very much for replying and for the information, would you think a digital camera would work at ORD

nscaler

Thu Jul 12, 2001 10:20 am

Why wouldn't it?

phxairfan

Thu Jul 12, 2001 11:19 am

Ive never shot there, but from what I've heard, there are lots of fences that are very tall which would make it hard to shoot. Don't take my post as fact, I have not shot there. I have seen some pictures taken from the hilton, but you probably have to get a room.

jasonm

Iflycoach

Thu Jul 12, 2001 12:12 pm

Iflycoach,

Could you please send me some of your digital pics? Thanks  Smile

Regards,
Jason Milligan
Melbourne Australia

iflycoach

Thu Jul 12, 2001 12:16 pm

I don't have any aircraft photos (I'm not going to PHX in the summer!) But if you just want to see some of my backyard shots your more than welcome!
http://members.nbci.com/_XMCM/kukowsk/61801.html

PUnmuth@VIE

Thu Jul 12, 2001 2:48 pm

I have to disagree with Iflycoach about digital cameras being useless for shooting over or through the fence. In my humble opinion they are very useful also for this. On My camera the inbuilt 3* optical zoom plus the 3* teleconverters lens equals to about 354 mm on a conventional system and that works fine for me.
Peter Unmuth
-

jwenting

Thu Jul 12, 2001 3:07 pm

Digicams can work as long as the optical zoom alone is enough to do the trick. Digital zoom is the same process as taking a crop in Photoshop and enlarging that to the full framesize: the camera will have to think up pixels. The higher the digizoom factor, the more pixels will have to be guestimated. This costs a lot in image quality, especially in edges (lines, text, etc).
The next important factor is the CCD. A normal camera loaded with slide or printfilm will have an optical density of about 20MP, a very good scanner can get most of that (a cheap one maybe 7 or 8). As yet there are no digicams that can match that (or if there are I've never heard of them).
I wish I were flying

Thu Jul 12, 2001 3:09 pm

If you need to shoot over fences with a digital camera, I would personally get a Nikon Coolpix 995. The resolution is 3.34 megapixels, which is good quality for 8 1/2 X 11 printouts or less. It has a 4X optical zoom, and definitely get the add-on 3X zoom lens (TC-E3ED) for it. This will boost the camera's zoom to 12X, which is pretty good, and will get you fairly close to the action. The camera itself is about $900, and the lens is about $280 ($260 if you buy it online). Hope this helps.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy -BentleyAzure

iflycoach

Thu Jul 12, 2001 4:03 pm

PUnmuth@VIE, I was talking without any addons, BTW: What kind of camera do you own, do you get any vignetting with the addon, & what kind did you get?

If you need to shoot over a fence / long distance you should get the Olympus 2100UZ, this thing has build in image stabilization so you don't have to worry about camera shake and it comes with a whopping 10x zoom! Or if you need to shoot aircraft / other fast stuff get the Rapid Shot addition.

PUnmuth@VIE

Thu Jul 12, 2001 4:12 pm

Iflycoach: As stated in my profile I use a NIKON Coolpix 990 with the NIKON add on lenses.
Peter
-

iflycoach

Thu Jul 12, 2001 4:17 pm

Sorry, didn't look there. Embarrassment