Topic Author

Night Shooting...

Sun Jul 22, 2001 11:32 am

When shooting aircraft at night, what's the best speed of film to use? Obviously flash is not an option. I've never tried shooting at night and would much appreciate some tips from those who have. I might start experimenting with some long exposure shots at night as well.
Thanks for your help!!

Kris  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

RE: Night Shooting...

Sun Jul 22, 2001 9:29 pm

Mon Jul 23, 2001 1:38 am

Well, if you are trying to photograph a stationary object at night, then the faster the film speed the better. I've found that 400 is fast enough for that type of thing. Even with a fast film, you are still going to have to use a slow shutter speed like 1/25, or 1/5 (- sometimes your light meter won't even tell you, so you'll just have to guess), so a tripod is definitely a must, and I'd strongly suggest a cable shutter release.

Now, if you are trying for a time exposure, then film speed doesn't matter much. I've taken good time exposure stuff at night with 100 speed film. You'd still need a tripod though, and I'd still get a cable release. I think the bulb setting would be a good shutter speed. Try a 5 minute exposure time. It's really cool to get streaks from approaching planes flying through the frame.

I've seen some really neat photographs from twilight time - the photographer pans the camera, or follows the moving object. The result is that the background is blurred, while the subject is in fairly sharp focus. I love those types of photos...

Another option is what is called fill-flash. I don't really have any experience working with this, but I know it's done. You might want to check it out.
Jack @ AUS

Wed Jul 25, 2001 1:25 am

When I do night photography, I use the light that is provided to me. I use Kodachrome 64 slide film and have never had a problem. If you look me up in the data base, you can see some examples.

Stephen Tornblom