Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Lucanus
Topic Author

Bad Picture Quality After Upload

Sun Aug 05, 2001 1:00 am

Dear friends,
after spending my first days with some trials to get a few of my picture into the database, I faced a problem with the picture quality after upload. After scanning and a bit of sharpening, the pictures are looking quite OK, but that changes dramatically after uploading them. The pictures are looking blurry, and I guess this has to to with the jpeg compression. I followed the advice given in the FAQ section (jpeg compression as low as possible, keeping an exact width of 1024x768 pixel) - but no avail.
Before continuing this try-and-error game I appreciate any help from experienced users of this website. Thanks in advance!

cfalk

RE: Bad Picture Quality After Upload

Sun Aug 05, 2001 4:31 am

What is the size of the file you are uploading? Can you post a link so we can see it?

Charles

Sonic99

Sun Aug 05, 2001 4:50 am

I've noticed that as well. The images, both thumbnail and full-scale, are more compressed now than before. I recently re-submitted a picture because the initial DB photo seemed a bit too blurry. In certain cases some images look rather odd as thumbnails (compression) and I see noticeable colour differentiation in the large image. Others are not affected. Oddly enough both are roughly the same size, therefore, I can only conclude that image size is not a factor.

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Stephan Curkowskyj

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Stephan Curkowskyj

Cheers,

Stephan

Sun Aug 05, 2001 8:36 am

That's simple. You need to crop your original to a maximum height of 728 pixels. If you upload anything larger than that, it becomes bigger than 768 pixels by the time the Airliners.Net banner is added at the bottom of the pic. And if this happens, it is resized down, with a subsequent reduction in quality. Specifically, you will find that the pic in the database is not as sharp.

You can check if this has happened to your shots by downloading the pic in the database, and then comparing the size with that of the original. In fact, if you use Internet Explorer, simply open the large version, right click it and select properties and it will tell you the size of the file in pixels.

I would suggest that if this happens to you, and you are not satisfied with the quality of the pic in the database, then you should do the following:

1. make a note of the pic number in the database
2. crop the pic on your hard disk to a size of 1024x728 pixels (or smaller).
3. go to "add photos"
4. click on "re-upload page"
5. enter the pic number you want to update, your email address, and browse to the cropped version on your hard disk

This has caught me out a few times. I always resize/crop to 1024x728 max. but on odd occasions I have forgotten to crop the vertical size of a pic, and have only discovered it much later by accident. It's most annoying, as there's no feedback from A.N to let you know a pic has been resized.

Hope this answers your question and helps you fix it.

S4

Jan Mogren

Sun Aug 05, 2001 7:14 pm

The FAQ *used* to say 728, but now it says
>Please note: If your photo is wider than 1024 pixels or higher than 768 pixels it will be downsized and that might lower the picture quality<

What is correct??!!??!!

/JM

Craigy

Mon Aug 06, 2001 2:36 am

Hi,
I always submit my photos @ 1024x750. I checked some of the last ones to be accepted and they are 1024x762 after A.net processing. I then looked at the banner which is 12 pixels high, so I guess that these have not been re-sized.
Craig.