Ilyushin Il-76 At Orlando Sanford

Wed Aug 08, 2001 3:43 am

Just in case anyone in the Orlando area was interested , I happened upon a very peculiar sight for Florida today on the southwest ramp at Orlando Sanford (SFB). A beautiful Il-76 registered to Gats Airlines of the United Arab Emirates came in sometime recently. I wonder if anyone knows what it is doing there? I hope it sticks around so I can get a couple shots. Happy spotting.

RE: Ilyushin Il-76 At Orlando Sanford

Wed Aug 08, 2001 4:08 am

Now that I've investigated some more, it looks like the same bird was in Cleveland a year ago according to the pics on this site. Other than that, it doesn't make it over the pond very often.

Dazed767

Wed Aug 08, 2001 8:29 am

Dude, thanks for the heads up.....can you get a clean shot of it? I just might run up there tomorrow morning to nail it.

Justin

P.S. Can you post the pic of it from the database?

Thu Aug 09, 2001 7:58 am

Hey Justin,

I hope it is still there. Didn't get a chance to go back today. It was right down the ramp from Orlando Jet. If you search under "Gats" in the database, the Il-76 will show up. A few Cleveland shots, the rest from Europe.

Hope someone got it here.

Scott

Dazed767

Thu Aug 09, 2001 9:52 am

I might run out tomorrow but if not, Friday then (my day off). Thanks again for the heads up.