joe pries

Rejected But Thought You Guys Might Like To See It

Tue Aug 14, 2001 10:54 pm

a different way to view a ramp shot taken at PHL I'ntl.....

http://www.geocities.com/hotshotsjp1/photos1/ge90us76.jpg

Joe

PUnmuth@VIE

RE: Rejected But Thought You Guys Might Like To See It

Tue Aug 14, 2001 10:57 pm

Great shot! I like it
By the way what was the reason? Part of aircraft not visible? I didn't think that you get rejections too.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Peter
-

Sukhoi

Tue Aug 14, 2001 11:18 pm

Joe,

Thats a great shot simply stunning and like Peter I wouldnt have thought you would have got rejections.

Its a shame shots of that quality dont make the grade, can i ask was it the "Boss" or his "boys" that rejected it? Who ever it was sure doesnt know a good shot when they see it.

Regards

Paul

joe pries

Tue Aug 14, 2001 11:28 pm

Peter, I deleted the upload message, sorry, maybe one of the screeners can enlighten us as i'm assuming one of them rejected it- I really cannot remember the reason off the top of my head though.

And yes, I do get rejections at times- usually stuff thats real artsy but I guess doesnt fit the mold for some reason- what can you do, for the most part I never really have a problem.

Joe

Thom@s

Tue Aug 14, 2001 11:31 pm

It certainly is artistic, but not quite airliners.net material in my mind. Nice pic though.

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

joe pries

Tue Aug 14, 2001 11:31 pm

Hey Paul,
I didnt understand either but like i said for the most part theres never a problem except sometimes i put in some real off the wall stuff (like the photo in question) and last month i uploaded an interesting shot of an AF A321 tail section with the Daimler Chrysler sign on the Airbus plant in Hamburg (a tough shot to get as you have to be in the production ramp) and it was rejected- so you never know.

Joe

Granite

Wed Aug 15, 2001 12:16 am

Hi all

I think Joe is on the 'travel list' so it would have been Johan himself that rejected it.

Regards
Gary Watt
Aberdeen, Scotland

Sukhoi

Wed Aug 15, 2001 12:34 am

Johan

Where's your imagination gone?

Regards

Paul

DSMav8r

Wed Aug 15, 2001 12:55 am

I think that is a fantastic shot! I guess the screeners couldn't see the artistic and creative quality of the shot.

Aric Thalman
Omaha, USA
To most people, the sky is the limit. To those who love aviation, the sky is home

Sukhoi

Wed Aug 15, 2001 1:03 am

Maybe time for an artistic / creative section?

Im sure there are a few people who could contribute some nice shots.

What about it Johan?

Regards

Paul

ake0404ar

Wed Aug 15, 2001 1:05 am

See, that is what I am talking about....sometimes there is no place for creativity. Sad but true....

Joe, maybe you can convince Johan to rethink his action and upload that shot anyway........

If not I guess it has a great place in your personal portfolio.

I personally like it......but then again, taste is different.

Vasco

DSMav8r

Wed Aug 15, 2001 1:06 am

Amen to that, Paul... I think Mark and Vasco's shots alone are excuse enough for one.  Smile

Aric Thalman
Omaha, USA
To most people, the sky is the limit. To those who love aviation, the sky is home

EGGD

Wed Aug 15, 2001 1:07 am

That shot is great, its a shame that such imagination is not greated with so much enthusiasm by the Boss  Sad

talking about artistic, take a look at this shot that i found whilst browsing the net:

Oh well, nice pic anyway!

Cheers

Dan

ckw

Wed Aug 15, 2001 1:07 am

It really is a shame that this kind of shot can't get in - done well an "artsy" shot can tell us more about an aircraft and its environment than the perfect profile shot. Futhermore, it is what many people (esp. commercial orgs.) are looking for - something "special" that will leap off the page.

Personally I'm beginning to get much more interested in capturing something "different" - standard shots are becoming a tad boring ... and when the photographer's bored, the audience won't be long behind. Do I have to abandon A.net to venture into new creative pastures? I know I'm not the only one who feels this way.

I see today's slogan is "a breath of fresh jet blast" - a bit ironic really!

Now I see that this opens up a potential nightmare for Johan - what is acceptable as an "artsy shot"? We've all seen crap hanging on the walls of art galleries!
But frankly, I think A.net is gonna have to face this one - there are some great pics around which will never get onto A.net as things stand, and that seems to be a pity.

Now we have screeners perhaps this can be addressed ... we could for instance, allow for a shot to be labelled as "artsy". It would then have to be voted on by a majority of screeners - if all or most agree it belongs on A.net, it gets in, otherwise not. By selecting the artsy option, the submitter would be accepting a) a longer waiting period and b) no discussion on acceptance/rejection! Most will choose to use the normal route and stick to the conventions ... which in fact could even be tightened up with the advent of an "artsy" option.

Cheers

Colin

Colin K. Work, Pixstel

joe pries

Wed Aug 15, 2001 1:25 am

Dan,
that b&w shot is outrageous- something about it makes me just stare and stare.

Joe

ake0404ar

Wed Aug 15, 2001 1:26 am

Speaking of "artsy" or creative shot ......

I have been trying to upload this shot for years and cannot succeed......not everyone may like it but I like it....I know it could have been a little brighter but....

http://www.hofheim.homestead.com/files/NWDC10_dark.JPG

PUnmuth@VIE

Wed Aug 15, 2001 1:26 am

Great idea Colin and Paul. I thought about posting the same.
Anyway I've learned that ideas for new categorys and forums and so on should be mailed directly to "J".
Peter
-

DSMav8r

Wed Aug 15, 2001 1:27 am

I agree with you also, Colin. The problem with a.net is, there is an abundance of truly talented photographers, but the majority still shoots the ramp-profile, approach, and action subjects. This is great, it has been my preferred style for many years now, but I too get a bit bored of the repitition that happens from time to time. Every once and awhile a little artistry needs to be thrown into the mix as well.

Aric Thalman
Omaha, USA

Sukhoi

Wed Aug 15, 2001 1:33 am

Peter,

I would mail the "Boss" but he's not talking to me at the moment  Wink/being sarcastic Well he doesnt return my mail Big grin

Cheers

Paul

LGW

Wed Aug 15, 2001 1:34 am

I personally dont really like either of the shots by Joe or Vasco, no offence I just dont and I can see why Johan rejected them

LGW

Bruce

Wed Aug 15, 2001 1:48 am

Nice shot Joe! I think if someone had gone over the painted engine cowl with Zaino car polish you'd be able to see the plane's reflection much better.

FYI, Zaino is a high quality polish that makes the car paint like a mirror. I know - I use it.

Bruce
Bruce Leibowitz - Jackson, MS (KJAN) - Canon 50D/100-400L IS lens

ake0404ar

Wed Aug 15, 2001 1:50 am

Here is another one of the more artsy shots, also rejected......I guess this is life and I should move on....

http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/big/Unknown733_DRS_nightappr_June2001.JPG

Aric wrote:
"The problem with a.net is, there is an abundance of truly talented photographers, but the majority still shoots the ramp-profile, approach, and action subjects"

I am sure that there are enough talented photographers on a.net or even out there who could add their share.....

Vasco

ckw

Wed Aug 15, 2001 1:55 am

I think LGW highlights the problem - artsy shots provoke extreme reactions, hence some form of concensus view is the only way to approach this. Key question - how would screeners feel about taking on this sort of role?

I would envision that for any given "artsy" pic, at least 5 of 8 screeners would need to view it and approve/disapprove. For any shot to get passed would need 50% or greater approval (ie. a minimum of 3 out of 5 votes or at least 4 votes form all 8. I wouldn't think the concenus should be higher as arguably a really strong shot could generate very polarised views (this is a GOOD thing).

Cheers,

Colin
Colin K. Work, Pixstel

AIRCANON

Wed Aug 15, 2001 1:55 am

Fantasic shot you have there Joe!

It´s a pleasure to view the great photos from Joe, Mark, Vasco and others....

As many of you i also like artistic and creativity photos more than the standard side on shots. Now and then (and lately more often) i try to take photos out of normal, hence artistic and creative.

Since there seem to be a lot of you guys wanting more of that kind why not give us the chance to vote. On the main page of a.net there could be (after the one at present) a new voting insert like:

What do you think about a artistic photo section at a.net?

1) must have it
2) very good idea
3) quite neat
4) don´t need it
5) no good. forget it

or something simular than the above....

Maybe we don´t even need to vote and Johan does us a favor!

Would be awful nice if you could do that for us Johan.

Kind Regards

Edwin

Granite

Wed Aug 15, 2001 1:58 am

Hi all

I am going to put my head on the block and agree with LGW......I don't like Joe's or Vasco's pics either  Sad

No offence to you guys as we all have our preferences.

Let's all keep on shooting  Smile

Regards
Gary Watt
Aberdeen, Scotland

Sasha

Wed Aug 15, 2001 2:12 am

Yes those shots do look artistic, in my opinion.

BUT, let's not confuse "artistic" with "different". What if everyone starts shooting those "engine" shots? Wouldn't be so much of an "artisitic section", would it? I can see that Johan's decision wasn't unjustified.

But those are still great shots!
An2/24/28,Yak42,Tu154/134,IL18/62/96,B737/757/767,A310/320/319,F100,BAe146,EMB-145,CRJ,A340-600,B747-400,A-330-300,A-340

Wed Aug 15, 2001 2:53 am

I also have to agree with Gary. While Joe and Vasco's do some of the best "artsy" shots, the examples posted here just do not do anything for me either. I love artsy shots and they are very hard to do. Probably the hardest to get them convey the feeling that you are trying to get across. While the artist (photographer) may see it one way the viewer does not always have the same feelings that the photographer had when they were taking the shot. Just because the photographer was trying to be artistic when they took the shot, does it automatically mean the finished procuct is is "good art".

Richard Silagi

PS: Vasco and Joe, keep up the good work. I strive to get my shots as good as yours!

mirage

Wed Aug 15, 2001 3:05 am

Here's my attempt, one month ago, also rejected. No problem, I can accept this rejection.

It's Faro ATC tower.

Luis

Wed Aug 15, 2001 3:15 am

Luis,

Where is the tower??? The only thing I see in the nose is a white car.

Richard

mirage

Wed Aug 15, 2001 3:24 am

hey Richard  Smile

I think I should have said: "It's a white car at Faro apron"

I see what you mean, that's why I accepted the rejection very easily. Next time I'll go there on my foot and then I can tell: "It's Luis at Faro apron" he he he.

Luis

LGW

Wed Aug 15, 2001 3:42 am

Cheers Gary for agreeing with me, I thought I would be the only one and everyone would ave a go @ me
 Smile/happy/getting dizzy

LGW

mirage

Wed Aug 15, 2001 3:48 am

If everybody always agreed on something it would be a very boring life. I don't like Gary's photo inside LHR terminal and I think those comments about Johan being on the photo are just a way to get views.

Luis

Wed Aug 15, 2001 3:55 am

Hey Luis

Are Fernando M and Pedro T still at Faro taking photos. I used to trade with them but I have not heard from either of them in quite awhile. If you know them, please tell them I said hi.

Richard Silagi

mirage

Wed Aug 15, 2001 4:14 am

Richard,

Fernando Mesquita is still taking photos and trading. We work at the same service but with different functions and by the way, he's on duty right now, I'll talk with him and give your "Hi". About Pedro T, I'm not sure who is. I know Pedro Aragão and Pedro Fernandes, both are photographers at Faro but Pedro T. I'm not sure, maybe I know him using other name.

best regards
Luis

Wed Aug 15, 2001 4:20 am

I meant Pedro Aragao.

BO__einG

Wed Aug 15, 2001 4:45 am

Heres mine!

Im having a pain in getting this one added as well.

http://home.talkcity.com/KidsKorner/bokimon/crop0007.jpg

You'll Have to Copy and Paste the URL.
Its the best I could take in this cheesy city of mine.
At least one screener really like this shot thou..
I shot this using Provia 100F in basically the worse time of day. 90 shutter speed as best I could do and I took this shot while I was in a Moving Car back seat going bout 40miles an hour!!!! Some luck! I didnt even see the plane cuz the roof was blocking my view but thanx to my instincts!! KAZAM!
Oh and I scanned it using Vuescan as that improved the quality of it by 70% compared to my package program..

Bo

enjoy..

Follow @kimbo_snaps on Instagram or bokimon- on Flickr to see more pics of me and my travels.

Jan Mogren

Wed Aug 15, 2001 4:50 am

Nice shot Bo!
/JM
AeroPresentation - Airline DVD's filmed in High Definition

Wed Aug 15, 2001 4:52 am

Bo, bad link.

Aer Lingus

Wed Aug 15, 2001 5:29 am

Bo that shot bloody well rocks !!!!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy Definitely beats Joe's and Vasco's !! (no offence guys, just my humble opinion). What was the rejection reason, lack of sharpness (although I hardly would have thought that)

CYKA: No offence but can you read ? The guy said, "you'll have to cut and paste the link"

Cheers,
Martin

BO__einG

Wed Aug 15, 2001 5:46 am

Thanks Jan and Martin for your thoughts on my picture!

hehe It is a beauty eh..
YKA, try again ..

When the screeners saw this they passed it but..
Yeah, the rejection unfortuneatly for final processing was lack of sharpness.
I tried to deepen contrast a little bit to help and sharp as well but it lead to excessive noise and even then it was still rejected [at final] when I uploaded again so, Im going to keep this photo to myself.. Its artsy alright!! Pure DUSK! Its probably the greatest 767300 shot Ive ever taken in my life.
:D I also have another shot lile this but its a 737200 and its not as good as this beauty..!!

Bo
Follow @kimbo_snaps on Instagram or bokimon- on Flickr to see more pics of me and my travels.

Wed Aug 15, 2001 5:47 am

Ok, I thought it didnt make anydiffrence. Nice pic, better then alot of dusk shots regularly accepted here.

gocaps16

Wed Aug 15, 2001 8:43 am

Hi Joe,

I really wanted to see your "artistic" shot that poeple has telling you. However, screw geocities because that link is bad. I tried 10 times and getting a message saying "Whoops, We cannot find your page."

Anyways, screw geocities.

Kevin/DCA

cicadajet

Wed Aug 15, 2001 8:59 am

Nice shot Joe!! (and *some* of the other "artistic" ones - past & present threads). Shame there's not a place here to see that type of thing. I could see where hundreds (thousands?) of these types of shots might DILUTE the house standards & style that have worked so well....perhaps a separate stand-alone section that would have to be specifically accessed on A.Net - would address that.. (ie: not have these images come up under most recent/most popular/& general search engine functions [unless it was possible to designate inclusion of that section - like the military is set up] )...of course, its Johan's site -- "just my 2 cents"
tom

joe pries

Wed Aug 15, 2001 10:24 am

For the guys that say that it is a bad geocities link, i tried it several times today and it worked every single time- im not sure what the problem is.

As for the guys that suggested an "artsy" section- heck im all for it- i am usually known for my favorite 50mm ramp shots but i have tons of artsy shots, alot of em i dont really bother even trying to upload because i figure they won't fit the mold of ainet but maybe Johan can make a special section as some suggest- i would bet it would be pretty popular and only enhance the site.

Joe

Wed Aug 15, 2001 12:36 pm

First off, it was a Johan rejection. I looked at the rejections page, and it showed up as "badcentered Final" meaning the reason was: "Aircraft was not centered" and it was rejected by Johan.

Now, I personally think that this should be a low esthetic quality shot. If the engine was all there, and full frame, then maybe it would have been added. But I think Johan's reason was good, and justified. Joe, the shot is fine quality wise, but it's a "stinker" for angles. It's not an Airliners shot...IMO

S3

AirUtopia

Wed Aug 15, 2001 1:25 pm

Gooday,

Joe,
The Geocities link is not working for me either - any chance of putting another link for those of us who are left out... thanks.

BO - great shot considering you were in a moving car... that's the great thing about photography, no one will know how difficult the shot may be if it looks good!

dave
Ambassadors to Aviation

Granite

Mirage

Wed Aug 15, 2001 4:09 pm

Hi all

Mirage, whay are you always so negative with your posts?

Sorry but I don't like your pic either.

Maybe one day that kind of shot will make it onto the site but you will have to be a little more creative with your future submissions Big grin

Regards
Gary Watt
(LHR Terminal 1 Big Shot)
Aberdeen, Scotland

Granite

FAO Joe

Wed Aug 15, 2001 4:11 pm

Hi Joe

I am pretty sure you will have tons of pics if an 'Arty' section was established.

I will have a word with Johan direct on this and ask for his comments. Possibly he might reply on this thread.

I will let you know.

Regards
Gary Watt
Aberdeen, Scotland

srbmod

Wed Aug 15, 2001 4:42 pm

Gee, this is making me think twice about attempting to post any of my shots. I have a ton of shots, just haven't gotten around to getting a scanner in order to upload them.

Granite

Wed Aug 15, 2001 4:54 pm

Hi Stephen

It would be nice to see some of your shots.

Is there any way you could find someone local to scan some prints for you?

Airliners is always looking for new photographers  Smile

Regards
Gary Watt
Aberdeen, Scotland