planedoctor

Digital Images- Pro90 Is

Mon Sep 03, 2001 10:13 am

Hi there,

I just shot a bunch of photos at CLE yesterday with my new Canon Powershot Pro90 IS digicam. Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

http://www.pbase.com/mistereman/airliners&browse=Y

Thanks

Ken

Granite

RE: Digital Images- Pro90 Is

Mon Sep 03, 2001 4:37 pm

Hi Ken

Nice pics indeed. Good quality and sharp.

I've been to CLE once and the pics bring back memories  Smile

Regards
Gary Watt
Aberdeen, Scotland

da Fwog

Mon Sep 03, 2001 6:23 pm

The quality of your shots is rather good. I particularly like "737grndcont".

It's a shame that quite a lot of the shots have the sun overhead or behind, because they would look a lot better if the sun had been behind you when taking them.

Sukhoi

Mon Sep 03, 2001 8:18 pm

Nice shots, just goes to proove you dont need to spend a small fortune on a digital SLR to get similar quality shots!

Regards

Paul

Craigy

Mon Sep 03, 2001 8:56 pm

Again, nice shots. Hope to see them on A.net soon.
What camera settings do you use? As a Pro90 user, I always shoot in RAW mode with the contrast and saturation levels turned up in the camera.
Regards,
Craig

planedoctor

Mon Sep 03, 2001 9:55 pm

I use the camera set to Jpg fine (not superfine), but only because with a 64mb card I don't have the luxury of using RAW yet (unless I want to drive 2 hours to CLE to get less than half the number of photos). I plan on getting a larger CF card in the future. I use normal saturation and contrast, but I think I may want to turn up the contrast, at least, because I seem to have to slighly bump up the contrast in Photopaint for just about every shot. For shots of moving aircraft that are at a distance I set the focus to manual, infinity to reduce lag/ search time. I still am fumbiling with the metering. Any suggestions on metering white fuselages with this or a similar camera would be welcome. That was especially difficult with the sun angle as was mentioned here. I realized that the sun angle would be bad before I even headed out to CLE, but since it was the only day in the foreseeble future when I could go and it was clear, I decided to try to put up with the sun...

This camera has its share of limitations, but the 37-370mm (35mm equiv) image stabilized zoom lens beats my other digital camera hands down for aircraft photos.

Thanks for your comments!

-Ken

brownphoto

Tue Sep 04, 2001 4:57 am

Hi-

Overall very nice! however one comment - on my monitor and it may just be mine, the photos taken showing the "shady" side of the plane have a VERY distinctive blue cast to them.

This is common because "open shade" often registers blue on daylight film or pixels.

If you can - and I know this works wonders on my Nikon D1 - shoot with the white balance ALWAYS on "cloudy".

It has always worked for me, so you might wish to give it a try.  Smile

At the worst, you can just use photoshop to correct the colors.  Smile

Joe Brown