da Fwog

Facilities/spots Currently Open For Spotters

Sat Sep 15, 2001 10:33 pm

I'm starting this thread in the hope that those of you with confirmed information (and not just rumours) can post details of what areas previously used by photographers/spotters are currently accessible at your local airports, and what areas are currently closed. Having searched the web in the last 24 hours or so for details from various airport spotting websites, it seems nobody has updated any of their info. in the light of this week's tragic events.

I hope nobody will see this as insensitive or be offended by this request - above all, our thoughts are with the victims and their families. However, life goes on, and I for one believe that we should continue to pursue our hobby, while giving the proper consideration to whatever security measures might be in force, and not give in to terrorism by giving up doing that which we love.

PUnmuth@VIE

RE: Facilities/spots Currently Open For Spotters

Sat Sep 15, 2001 10:41 pm

Hi!
As we have no designated spotting areas here in Vienna I can only tell you that there was no problem with spotting around the airport the last 2 days. I was only asked by the police to show my ID, and that was all. They even asked if i was able to get some good pictures. The helicopters where very nervous when the flight to Tel Aviv (I think) left yesterday. There were 2 on site flying around very nervous but nothing mor obvious was different.
Peter
-

flpuck6

Sat Sep 15, 2001 10:52 pm

From a quick check on the official Massport Logan Airport site http://www.massport.com/logan/default.asp, it informs us that all parking garages are open. So it makes me wonder if one could go to the top of Parking garage B for some photo ops? If anyone from the area heads out there, perhaps they'll be so kind as to inform.
-Chris
Bonjour Chef!

1stspotter

Sat Sep 15, 2001 11:05 pm

Hi,

closed in Europe are:
Schiphol observation deck
Frankfurt observation deck
Heathrow Queens building

Spotting in the USA looks like impossible to me for the next couple of months. Not only the police will be very nervous, all the American public will report anyone looking a bit weird at or close to an airport to the police.

Marcel

ebos

Sat Sep 15, 2001 11:13 pm

Nothing has changed in OST since September 11. All previously areas are still accessible. I noticed anyting special about security measures so far this week.
In general there is a good understanding between airport inspection and local spotters. Recently weirdos jumped over the fence and each time they were reported to the inspection by local spotters (one guy was walking with his dog on the runway...!). So let's work together instead of annoying each other...

Sven
An-225 stalker: 1 x LUX, 1 x EIN, 1 x DXB, 2 x SHJ, 3 x CGN

jwenting

Sun Sep 16, 2001 12:10 am

At AMS (Schiphol) the areas at rwys 06 and 22/27 are open. Deck might be closed, haven't been there since before last tuesday.
Slightly increased police pressence, driving now sometimes in armoured vehicles instead of regular copcar (probably because there are not enough regular cars to go around).
I wish I were flying

Sonic99

Sun Sep 16, 2001 1:26 am

Hi,

Spotting opportunities in Montreal have remained essentially unchanged besides the two days the airport was closed Sept 11, and 12. It was quite difficult to get around the perimeter, there was nothing much to photograph anyways, except for diverted planes bound for the US that were moved to quite remote corners of the airport (if one could get close enough). When I took this picture of grounded Air Canada aircraft there were two police officers with me at the time (both were actually quite fascinated at the number of aircraft "stuffed" in a small area):

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Stephan Curkowskyj

There are no dedicated spotting areas at YUL to begin with. Furthermore, security arrangements in Montreal - that have been in place for a long time - will not allow non-ticketed public to enter gate areas for any reason! Only places that remain for spotting are the ones that have been used by YUL spotters for a long time now (Felix, Henry, Pierre, myself...) - i.e. the perimeter of the airport. Makes for challenging photography  Smile

Stephan

Fly-K

Sun Sep 16, 2001 6:05 am

I can confirm that the two obs deck at T1 and T2 in FRA are closed, but the platform at runway 18 is still accessible. Security drives by once in a while, but not much different to the normal situation.

Konstantin
Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been...

Sukhoi

Sun Sep 16, 2001 6:39 am

The LGW viewing deck is open as normal and hasnt been closed at all.

Regards

Paul

DSMav8r

Sun Sep 16, 2001 7:17 am

I sincerely hope that other U.S. spotters won't press their luck in the upcoming days and weeks. I fear by doing so, we may give security/police an even more negative opinion of spotters and photographers. If we ever hope to regain the wonderful opportunities to photograph at our airports, we need to back off and let the security and police personnel do their jobs. They have their hands full and the last thing they need is people poking around perimeter fences and parking garages. Your actions reflect on all of us who are photographers/spotters, remember that!

Be patient, things will go back to normal.

Aric Thalman
Omaha, NE
To most people, the sky is the limit. To those who love aviation, the sky is home

dispatcher

Sun Sep 16, 2001 8:24 am

The Southern Airpark at Indianapolis International is open. It did have cones blocking it off all week but they are gone today and there were approximately 8 cars there watching the traffic.

chris28_17

Sun Sep 16, 2001 9:08 am

Dispatcher>>>

hey, you live in indy?? i've been wondering for some time how IND spotting is, i live up here in FWA.... let me know man!!

chris28_17@hotmail.com

CHRIS

sunilgupta

Sun Sep 16, 2001 9:33 am

IAD and BWI are pretty much business as usual. I went to IAD today and told an officer that I’ll be photographing and he said “ok”. I did not check if the obs deck under the tower was open, but since access to the obs deck is past the security checkpoint I can’t check it until I fly somewhere (probably next week). A friend went to BWI and had no problems. Of course DCA is still closed but I drove past the off-airport observation spot and it was open.

Aric, I agree with what you say in general, but it seems to me that things around the airports are pretty normal now. It’s the folks in the terminals and at the checkpoints that have their hands full and now we have no reason to go there!

Sunil

DSMav8r

Sun Sep 16, 2001 11:05 am

I was just assuming (after what I saw during the Gulf War and TWA 800), that things would remain pretty hairy for awhile. Every officer and traveler is going to looking for anything that might be unusual, which photography is to the vast majority.  Smile It is great to see a number of viewparks open again, especially the IND one, which is one of the best around.

Aric Thalman
Omaha, NE
To most people, the sky is the limit. To those who love aviation, the sky is home

MDL_777

Sun Sep 16, 2001 12:09 pm

I drove by the Airport Overlook at Charlotte Douglas International Airport last night, and the gates were shut. It's usually open until 10:30 PM. I figured it might be still closed, so I was not surprised to see it closed. I'm going to drive by it tomorrow and see if it's open. Hopefully, they'll reopen it soon when things get more and more back to normal. I'm going to give it some time, and if it hasn't been reopened in say two weeks, then I might call the airport and find out if they have any plans to reopen it. I hope they do, because it provides a great vantage point.

joe pries

Sun Sep 16, 2001 12:23 pm

K, im very very relieved that rwy 18 spot is still open- i dont really shoot much from the decks anyway- its rwy 18 that is the jewel spot of FRA and i cant wait to shoot there again

Joe

BO__einG

Sun Sep 16, 2001 3:25 pm

Here in Calgary, Things are starting to shape up again.. Still some clog ups with US destinations arrivals/departs..
One spot I know of which is Vital when it comes to shooting when Runway 16 is in use was closed.. Blocked off.

Im not sure about the state of it now . It could be opened ..
Other spots were closed.. I was at my airport for 4 days during the diversions with all the flights.. Since Calgary doesnt receive 777s or 747s or MD11s of Alitalia, It was imperative that I go out and see all these cuz guess what, its all Air Canada here now so Borring.
I was not interfered with security by any chance! 1 or 2 trucks drove by me looking at me but they did nto say anything so it seems pretty cool here, but i do noticed beefed up security cuz Im seeing new security cars.. BLUE TRUCKS! Ive never seen those before.

BO
Follow @kimbo_snaps on Instagram or bokimon- on Flickr to see more pics of me and my travels.

Sun Sep 16, 2001 4:08 pm

The observation areas at KTVC (Traverse City) and GRR (Grand Rapids) both n Michigan have been closed since Wednesday.

propfreak

Sun Sep 16, 2001 4:23 pm

hi all
the obeservation deck at ZRH is open. also the other spots around the airport (approach / intersection 28/16 (heligrill) don't seem to be a problem.
Olav

rindt

Sun Sep 16, 2001 4:50 pm

All is calm on the western front... I have been shooting at the beloved "AVIS" lot, and elsewhere with absolutely no problems what-so-ever here at YVR. I hope it stays that way...

-Rob

What other people think of you is none of your business!

Bogi

Sun Sep 16, 2001 7:33 pm

Both obeservation decks (Terminal and train Station) at DUS are closed

Freundliche Grüße / Best Regards / Atentos saludos / Meilleures salutations

Michael Bogensperger
==================================================
Airliners from Europe and all around the World at
http://www.Airlinerslides.com

petertenthije

Sun Sep 16, 2001 10:01 pm

The official observation deck at Schiphol is closed. You can stil stand alongside the runways/aprons.
Attamottamotta!

AUS_Spotter

Mon Sep 17, 2001 12:16 am

The viewing area at AUS is still open and I was able to get to other unofficial spots I've used in the past with no problem. Aviation Police didn't seem too worried about me standing around with my camera.

Jason - Austin, TX

da Fwog

Mon Sep 17, 2001 5:33 am

I've been to check out MAN today. The viewing areas are open, but I got an unwanted visit from the Police when I wandered off to one of my usual spots off airport. However, it did give me the opportunity to clear up what "the situation" is with them. So for those of you who are interested:

As long as you stay on the public footpaths (of which there are many surrounding rwy 24L/06R) you should be ok. Stray off these and you are likely to get a visit and be asked to move. (In my case, I was in a field that has one public footpath running along one side, and another running up the other side - but my crime was to be in the middle - and too close to the rwy lights as far as they were concerned). If you are in one spot for a long time, you may still get a visit from security and/or the Police to check on what you are doing - they are paying close attention to people around the perimeter at the moment. If you park your car somewhere off airport, DON'T park next to the security fence, and DON'T park anywhere there are yellow lines/parking restrictions in force, even on the grass verges. The police ARE making regular patrols around the perimeter and along the various roads and lanes near the airport, and they are checking on any cars they find parked there.

I felt the need to apologise to these two coppers for them having to come out and check on me, but two nicer and more understanding blokes I could not have wished for. The response to my apology was "Look, no problem. You're just pursuing your interest, and we're just doing our job".

kaitakfan

Mon Sep 17, 2001 11:48 am

How about LAX's south complex for rotation shots off of two five right? that is my main concern. that would be the worst not to have that spot! best place to watch all those international 747's depart!

CPH-R

Mon Sep 17, 2001 4:24 pm

I guess that 'Flyvergrillen' at CPH is still open for shots like these:

Click for large version

Photo © Scandpix

I'll be heading outthere later (when the weather improves)

Yorkie

Tue Sep 18, 2001 7:10 pm

Although the Queens Building at London Heathrow is shut, the visitor centre near 27R re-opened yesterday. Dry place with Cafe, bookshop, nostalgia exhibits and great view for spotting but not great for photos.
For landing shots try the footbridge at Hatton Cross. The Cranford Agreement appears suspended and 27L is used for landing all day with no 3 pm runway switch. It was also used all Sunday and since the rotation usually happens on Monday it appears to me that 27L will be the landing runway full-time in the short term.

KingWide

Tue Sep 18, 2001 7:13 pm

The ILS is being upgraded on 27R [I think the work completes in about a week] so until it's done 27L will be the landing runway.

When the work is done the ILS will still only be cat1 so 27L will always be the landing runway in poor weather conditions.

J
Jason Taperell - AirTeamImages

Bogi

Thu Sep 20, 2001 3:55 am

the observation deck at Duesseldorf International (DUS, EDDL),
Germany, on the terminal B is open again. New is a security check
at the entrance. Still closed, maybe for a loger time, is the
observation deck on the railway staition near 23L.

Freundliche Grüße / Best Regards / Atentos saludos / Meilleures salutations

Michael Bogensperger
==================================================
Airliners from Europe and all around the World at
http://www.Airlinerslides.com

EGGD

Mon Sep 24, 2001 5:07 am

The Obersvation deck at Heathrow Terminal 2 Queens building is open, how i know? I was there over the weekend  Big grin

Happy spotting

Dan

petertenthije

Thu Sep 27, 2001 8:49 pm

The observation deck at Schiphol SHOULD be reopened at the 5th of october.
Attamottamotta!

jwenting

Thu Sep 27, 2001 10:12 pm

Good news. Means I can spend some time there on the 7th before flying out for two weeks of R&R in southern Espana  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
I wish I were flying

CPH-R

Wed Oct 03, 2001 6:55 am

Any words as to Frankfurt? I was thinking of going downthere a saturday for some spotting, but I need to know if it's open or closed.

bodobodo

Wed Oct 03, 2001 6:57 am

According to a friend who just returned from FRA on Saturday (Sept.29th) the observation areas were still closed.

Felix

Thu Oct 04, 2001 1:30 am

Bodobodo said it !
As cause of the terroratacks in the USA and for security
reasons the visitorsterraces at the airport of Frankfurt are closed .For more Information call (49) 69 690 70291-
92-93-94.
In germany :069 690 70291-92-93-94
regard
B747-400 HS-TGR "Siriwatthana"

Ryefly

Fri Oct 05, 2001 12:22 pm

Charlotte Douglas (CLT) airport over view is still closed. I took a ride by there today to see the sad site of the gates closed still.

LJ

Sun Oct 07, 2001 7:53 pm

The opening of the observation deck at AMS has been delayed. Thus it's still closed.

BTW Does anybody know if spotting is possible at Nice?

Regards
Laurens

LGW

Sun Oct 07, 2001 8:11 pm

I am not sure if the obs deck at LGW was ever closed due to the US attacks, I guess they where, not sure

I was up at LGW on Friday morning and the viewing area was open with no sign of hightened security,

Click for large version

Photo © Ben Pritchard

no more security (as far as I could see in the terminal),

or at the end of runway 26

Click for large version

Photo © Ben Pritchard

Anyone know what DUB is like at the mo? Im goin next week and want to get some pics

LGW

qantas744

Wed Oct 10, 2001 8:17 am

Seeing as the deck at AMS was closed on Sunday and we are now seeing Allied forces attacking Afghanistan,I guess that it will remain closed for some time yet.Assuming this to be the case what are spotters/photographers doing in the meantime? I am curious as I am going to AMS on Thursday 11th Oct, hopefully to get some photography done,although I'm sure I can find something else to do if I have to.Any advice would be appreciated,bear in mind I'm flying in from LTN on easyJet and therefore will not have my own transport.

Thanks

Qantas744
you can't buy time but you can sell your soul and the closest thing to heaven is to rock'n'roll

OO-VEG

Thu Oct 11, 2001 3:18 am

Qantas 744:

If you can't get to the terrace on AMS and you are by public transport you can always go to the Buitenveldertbaan spot.

It can be reached by busline 174 direction Haarlem. Once you see a small Mc-Donalds on your left and Schiphol east on your right you are there.

It is also possible to go to the Kaagbaan but that is a long walk. For more information look at:

http://www.schiphol-spotter.nl or
http://fly.to/aviationonline

As you are flying you also could just stay in the terminal area (passengers only section). You can get anywhere nearby the gates and the view is splendid. Windows are quite clean so taking photo's is not that bad.

usair1489

Thu Oct 11, 2001 9:02 am

Someone told me of a place I can pull over to watch arrivals coming into PHL. It's off I-95 South before the exits for the airport and the off-airport parking lot. Can anyone clarify directions to that road and is it accessible from I-95?

Steve
Zinger Aviation Delta Oscar Tango Charlie Oscar Mike

qantas744

Fri Oct 12, 2001 6:10 am

OO-VEG

Thanks for the assistance,sadly I didn't get it in time.The weather was rubbish anyway so I spent alot of time in the terminals as you point out.The specatators terrace is still closed by the way.

Qantas744
you can't buy time but you can sell your soul and the closest thing to heaven is to rock'n'roll

luftaom

Sun Oct 14, 2001 7:02 pm

The spotting tower at Dresden was closed last Friday.

Scotty

Mon Oct 15, 2001 12:27 am

Edinburgh & Glasgow Int - no official viewing areas but the usual areas remain accessible - just be sensible as usual.

Aberdeen - official viweing area open

Glasgow Prestwick - deck still open as far as I know. Certainly was following 11th September

Scotty

Yorkie

Tue Oct 16, 2001 2:05 am

Instead of my annual US trip, I've just been to some of the UK airports and had no hassle anywhere including since the bombing started.

Hadn't been to NCL for a while, since the new viewing area opened. No problems in 2 days. Didn't even see a cop. On the second day a Jet Provost landed. I decided to take a recce and try to view it round the hangars. I took the train to Callerton Parkway and walked up the access road past the "no unauthorised etc" sign - there was a security van but he ignored me. Made it to the flying club, asked more in hope and was given a full hangar tour (airside) plus tour of JP from the pilot.

LBA - viewing area by underpass still open. However they have tightened up round Multiflights, and security van was (politely) turning all undesirables away. Masses of fences, gates etc springing up. All you miss is the numbers in the hangars.

MME - spent a day at various access points including by Catering company which is sometimes iffy. No probs.

RAF Linton-on-Ouse - ridiculous! Still a low wooden fence the only 'security'. Viewing area open. No-one hassling or challenging you. Live and let live. Busier than usual, non-stop training activity including after dark. Only saw Tucanos.

LCY - impressed. Very busy with commuter traffic. Plenty of cops in evidence but no hassle, not even asked for ID. I was surprised just how active this is nowadays - Crossair, VLM, Sabena, Euroswiss, British Euro, EI Commuter, Scot, LH, Augsburg, Regional A/L, I logged over 40 in total. At 5 p.m. the place was shut down with a bomb scare in the car park even then the cops didn't go berserk. It's a bit spooky though with Canary Wharf towers dominating the landscape.

Aer Lingus

Tue Oct 16, 2001 2:25 am

Dublin - No change in security. As per usual cops dont care if you double park on the main raod Big grin
Rumour has it someone actually jumped the fence a month ago and walked their dog on the taxiways. How true this is I dont know  Smile

Martin

Tue Oct 16, 2001 3:06 pm

Only ticketed passengers are allowed in the concourses at Charleston (CHS). Arthur road area has been closed since 1998. The window next to security area at terminal A is the best inside photo spot but I wouldn't even try right now.

A Campbell
Charleston, South Carolina, USA

Wed Oct 17, 2001 12:50 am

The deck at LGB is closed but you can still shoot at the Devry Lot. Lax you can still shoot from Big Cargo, but you need to be descrete about it. SNA you can still shoot from the Gopher Hill but I would stay on the north end of the lot for approach shot as cops are right where the aircraft turn onto the runway.

Stephen

CO777

Sat Oct 20, 2001 7:44 am

The viewing lot at SFO is now closed. They closed it last tuesday. That is sad.
Jason Whitebird

cfalk

Sat Oct 20, 2001 2:09 pm

I went through FRA yesterday. The Obs. deck is still closed.

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.