747 4-ever
Topic Author

Paper Or Slides?

Sat Sep 15, 2001 11:30 pm

I'm using Kodak Gold ASA200,paper, but I'm considering to try taking some slides, I've asked in the photo store for Kodachrome and it costs 15 $, is it worth the price?

jwenting

RE: Paper Or Slides?

Sun Sep 16, 2001 12:07 am

Get Fuji Sensia 100. Lot cheaper and very good.
I wish I were flying

ghost77

Sun Sep 16, 2001 7:09 am

You won´t get dissapointed if you take slides.. I used to take paper but now I´m convinced that slides are better!!
Ricardo Morales - flyAPM - ¡No es que maneje rapido, solo estoy volando lento!

747 4-ever
Topic Author

Sun Sep 16, 2001 4:51 pm

OK! Thank you guys!  Big thumbs up

psa188

Sun Sep 16, 2001 10:32 pm

Check B&H in New York. They sell Kodachrome for about $10 a roll, including processing. K64 is still the best slide film, IMHO.

jwenting

Mon Sep 17, 2001 12:37 am

he's not in the US which means two things:
1) hefty import charges when buying from the US (voiding even the 50% lower price at B&H) and
2) US mailers are useless as Kodak will not ship the processed slides back to you (continuous lower 48 states only for that).
I wish I were flying

crewchief32

Mon Sep 17, 2001 2:38 am

I use print film since I did begin with that hobby many years ago and I want to say that I am very satisfied with the results.
I use brand names like Kodak or Agfa, but also "no-names" like Perutz (they`re damn cheap), but I think it finally depends on the lab that does the development.
And I can think of atleast two resons why I prefer print films, one is the possibility of getting several prints from one negative in the same quality (for an album or for trading, for example) and the second is that you can go through an album, for example, and look at all the prints
quite easily.

Just my 0.02Euros worth opinion
CC32

Mon Sep 17, 2001 3:38 am

The debate over prints vs. slides is all a matter of personal prefrence and what you want to do with your photos after you shoot them. It is easier to get good quality scans from slides than from prints. Personally however I prefer prints. The main problem with prints however, is the processing. Most 1 hour photo labs have terrible quality. I only use a professional film lab for my processing. You can really tell the difference in the results.

I prefer prints for the same reason CrewChief32 does. I like looking at my photo collection a lot. With slides you either have to look at them through a loupe or use a projector. In using a projector, the hot bright light, is not good for the slides if you do it too much.

Richard Silagi

yka

Mon Sep 17, 2001 8:03 am

Slide film is the best choice for where proffessional results are required, such as getting photos accepted to airliners.net. Slides are also much easier to store and last much longer meaning that and your photo will never be subjected to the colour/brightness corrections that occur when prints are printed. Finaly, prints can also be made from slides, if you want your shot to hang on the wall.

On a final note, slide film should really only be used with SLR cameras though, since the exposure needs to spot on and p&s cameras with their comperatively slow lenes often rquire the flash to light the nearby objects while leaving the subject, such as an aircraft some distance away, underexposed. This is one aplication where print film should be used since lab workers can crank up the brightness to produce the final, more correctly exposed print.

p.s. I use fuji sensia(ex sensia II).