dee-see-eit

Copyright Violation On Ebay

Mon Oct 01, 2001 8:23 pm

Thanks a lot to fellow a.net photographer Michael McLaughlin, who informed me about another "funny" copyright violation.

A guy is selling one of my photos via ebay, and it seems he/she has done this with other pics regularly during the last months...

This is the link, in case you want to see it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1010991737

And this is the original he took from a.net:

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Marlo Plate

I've got in contact with the seller and the ebay guys to try to stop this kind of fraud...

Regards
DC8
(Marlo Plate)

hias

RE: Copyright Violation On Ebay

Mon Oct 01, 2001 8:33 pm

Hi there,

found another violation by this guys:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1012152407

Not very funny....

Regards

Mathias
www.spotter.de.vu
mathias.henig@gmx.de

Dazed767

Mon Oct 01, 2001 8:35 pm

Oh man, I would have never guessed someone would be so stpuid to do that.

jwenting

Mon Oct 01, 2001 8:42 pm

Simple statistics. What are the chances of someone here hitting on a shot at eBay that they recognise as coming from here?
Chances are low, and some lowlife seems to have figured that out.
Probably acting under a fake userid/address so he cannot be traced either.
I wish I were flying

dee-see-eit

To Jwenting

Mon Oct 01, 2001 8:49 pm

Jwenting,

I 100% agree with you. It is basically impossible to stop this kind of things. One of the "bad sides" of the net...

In any case, ebay can remove the images and avoid the same guy to continue (with the same identity).

DC8

hias

Why Not Stopping Saving The Images

Mon Oct 01, 2001 8:58 pm

Hi there,

this has been discussed several times, but now is it time for a protection to save the airliners.net images ? I think yes, as this thread clearly shows. Everyone can save the images from airliners.net and make prints out of them and, in the worst case, sell them for a lot of money.

A spotter at my local airport does this and his business runs quite good as he stated.

If anyone wants to get a image for his personal use, he should contact the photographer who has to decide then.

Hope these copyright violations could be stopped.

Regards

Mathias
www.spotter.de.vu
mathias.henig@gmx.de

Staffan

Mon Oct 01, 2001 9:10 pm

As long as you display the image on the website, someone can steal it.
I read on a webpage about someone who made a hall-of-shame for people who had stolen his photo's. A.net is a well reputated site and a hall-of-shame with a link to all webpages stealing the pictures would at least make the people doing big business of it think twice.

Staffan

hias

Staffan

Mon Oct 01, 2001 9:32 pm

but you can make it harder or almost impossible for most people to steel the pictures...now it is too easy...

jwenting

Mon Oct 01, 2001 10:00 pm

The only certain way is not to put them on at all.
Other ways (note these will allienate many people):
- put a huge copyright text over the middle of the image
- stream them in realtime through an applet (can still do a screendump and print that but quality suffers)

Makes it more difficult, but any techsavvy person will be able to work something out easily:
- display the image in several sections, like a jigsaw. Some sites use this to quite good effect. It does require code on the server to chop up the images and build the HTML of course, and someone can still put the pieces back together in Photoshop, but it will deter the casual person
- put a transparent layer over the entire page, preventing the "save image as" option.
Combine the two and enyone will have to go to the browsercache.
I wish I were flying

chris28_17

Tue Oct 02, 2001 1:24 am

just an idea, how about making image size 800x instead of 1024, or something like that... would that help at all?? just an thought.

CHRIS

*Niels*

Tue Oct 02, 2001 1:51 am

The text is also pretty weird, "Iberian Air" a rather old name isn't it??

Lucky enough the Ebay site has only got 70 hits...

mikephotos

Tue Oct 02, 2001 2:05 am

I was looking for some Airbus A320 1/144 decals and did a searchf or "Airbus A320" and happen to come across Marlo's IB A320 shot. At first I just thought it was him selling it but when I checked the other auctions and found Tommy's Iran Air 747 shot, I sorta knew they weren't "approved" sales.

Hope you guys are able to take care of this. Check his past auctions and see if he actually did sell any of your shots and bill him for the auction amounts.

Michael

ren41

Tue Oct 02, 2001 5:36 am

On the Iberia pic,the seller said that the plane was landing at an airstrip in Madrid, but the photo was taken at BCN!! Idiot!!

Ren41

CcrlR

Tue Oct 02, 2001 6:01 am

Did you tell Johan and Granite(Gary Watt) about what was happening cause if you tell them they might do something too cause I'm glad that I don't have my pictures on it but i'm trying to get them on. I hope you stop them.
"He was right, it is a screaming metal deathtrap!"-Cosmo (from the Fairly Oddparents)

thomasphoto60

Tue Oct 02, 2001 7:22 am

I checked out his other 'alleged' work, most appear to be celeberity oriented with some military aircraft in the mix, the only commercial shots appear to be those of Marlo and Tommy Morgren's.

Time to take out this trash!!!  Pissed  Angry

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

serge

Tue Oct 02, 2001 9:09 am

Pissed  Pissed  Pissed  Pissed  Pissed  Pissed  Pissed  Pissed  Pissed Grrrrrrr.. the anger is uncontrolable over here!!!  Pissed  Pissed  Pissed  Pissed  Pissed  Pissed  Pissed  Pissed  Pissed  Pissed  Pissed That basta*d!  Pissed  Pissed  Pissed  Pissed

mirage

Tue Oct 02, 2001 9:34 am

This is incredible, I think the nightmare of any photographer with photos online. I hope anything can be done to stop that idiot.

Luis

jderden777

Tue Oct 02, 2001 10:14 am

copyright violations seem to be an ever-occurring deal...geeze this is getting way out of hand...we have to do something...i think some kind of legal action needs to be taken against these people, to show them that we won't just write them some nasty e-mail, but that we will actually take the initiative against them. what do you say? are you with me????!!!

jonathan d.
"my soul is in the sky" - shakespeare

b757300

Tue Oct 02, 2001 10:34 am

The auction of the Iberia A320 has been closed by the seller. Guess he knows that he FUBARed this one.
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

b757300

Tue Oct 02, 2001 11:01 am

FYI for anyone who hasn't seen this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1012152407

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Tommy Mogren / Viking Slides

Tue Oct 02, 2001 12:28 pm

Gentlemen ,

Being a long time seller on Ebay and having photos here on airliners, I sent the following email to Ebay's Safe Harbor fraud investigation group:

Concerning auctions # xxxxxx , xxxxxx

Dear Sirs,

It has come to my attention that the seller of the above items ( jht-evergreen ) has stolen the copyrighted photos in question from www.airliners.net .

As a longtime Ebay seller , and aircraft photographer who also has copyrighted work on Airliners.net , I am appalled that this " power seller " has the audacity to steal others work & profit from it on Ebay.

As he has apparently been doing this for some time , I would strongly suggest that Ebay investigate and shut down this " power seller ". Unfortunately , he has a pristine feedback rating and consequently, buyers would not be aware that they are purchasing photo's that are illegal and clearly in violation of U.S. copyright law.

For specific proof view the following link : http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=157754 . You will find the exact same photo represented in auction # 1012152407. It is clearly copyrighted to a Mr. Tommy Mogren.

This " power seller " , one " jht-evergreen " has clearly violated Ebay's policies on unlawful selling of copyrighted material more than once. He has also violated United States copyright law. As a photographer myself , I would not be surprised if the photographers of the stolen pictures in question sought legal satisfaction against " jht-evergreen " .

As my wife and I are also long time sellers here on Ebay , we only ask that you take prompt action ( shut down ! ) against " jht-evergreen " so as to avoid any more illegal copyright violations committed against our fellow photographers on airliners.net.

Thank You,

Roger Lybarger & Lori Butcher

**** I'll let you all know what kind of reply I get****

- Roger

mikephotos

Tue Oct 02, 2001 12:37 pm

The IB A320 auction wasn't ended by him, looks like it was just over and no one bidded on the item. He has it re-listed...

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1012152416

If you check his/her past auctions (includes completed & current auctions) you'll see the IB A320 was listed a few times and also a BA Concorde photo but the picture link no longer works so not sure which photo it was..I bet it was from a.net.

http://cgi6.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewListedItems&userid=jht-evergreen&sort=3&page=29&rows=25&since=30
Michael

thomasphoto60

Tue Oct 02, 2001 1:47 pm

Bravo Roger,

Very nicely put. I may follow this up as well as I sell on EBAY as well.

It might behoove anyone here that sells or purchases on EBAY, to send a similar letter.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the heads up on this guy, while he may not be selling any of my work (so far), I will monitor his sales from now on.

I have noticied that he is not selling too many photos however. Regardless, he will not be allowed to get away with this blatant act of theft.

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

thomasphoto60

Tue Oct 02, 2001 3:09 pm

I too have sent a letter of complaint to EBAY, very similar to that of RWL's

I am curious, if anyone (Marlo or Tommy in particular) has sent an e-mail to the culprit ?

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

mikephotos

Tue Oct 02, 2001 3:18 pm

Thomas,

I've received personal emails from both Marlo & Tommy, they are working on it.

I have this guys auctions bookmarked as well and will continue to check'em out in the future to see what he's selling. I'm sure most of the non-aviation photos are probably copyrighted photos snagged from the 'net.

Michael

thomasphoto60

Tue Oct 02, 2001 3:39 pm

Thanks Mike,

Frankly as an EBAY'er and A.Net'er, I felt the need to send this individual a very strongly worded (no foul language) e-mail (via Ebay). I hope I did not overstep my bounds, but I really felt compelled to respond to this individual's actions. I do believe though that this is something that should concern us all and by showing a unified force, might discourage this person from attemping this in the future.

Again, I would encourage everyone here who is an EBAY'er to log in and send this 'thief' your opinions..

As someone here recently stated, he (jht evergreen) may start to utilize a new screen name, if he is kicked off. As a result I will try to monitor ALL aviation photos that are being auctioned on EBAY!

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

dee-see-eit

Seller Answers!

Tue Oct 02, 2001 4:43 pm

Hi guys,

Thanks a lot for your support. This is affecting all of us with photos at a.net or other sites, including own webs.

The "seller" has answered my mail sent yesterday with following words:
------------------------------------------
Hello Interplate,

This photo is one of the few remaining items purchased last May on a Yahoo auction as part of a lot sale of over 100 photographs. As you well know I am perfectly within my rights to re-sell a finished print that I have purchased.

As an accomodation we will gladly remove it so as to not offend a fellow e-bayer.

JHT-Evergreen

---------------------------------------------

Being well aware that it is very difficult to stop this kind of fraud, I answered (with copy to Tommy) that its impossible that he purchased a photo from which there's only one original slide, and it is in my collection at home. I also asked him to stop selling images taken from internet sites without permission from the respective photographers.

I know that this is not a strong reply, but basically I think sites like ebay must try to stop these guys. He will very well appear in some days with a different identity and try to sell "digital images" of other topics (trains, flowers, animals, landscapes or whatever)...

I will let you know about the reaction of ebay if there is one.

Regards
DC8
(Marlo)

Tommy Mogren

Tue Oct 02, 2001 5:13 pm

Hi guys,

Thanks for writing to Ebay everyone, we all need to stand united on these copyright violations.

I emailed the seller and ebay.com as soon as I found out.

I have only received a response from the seller, saying that he will remove the auction.
So, far he hasn't...it's still there.

I will keep working on this until it's stopped.
I'll keep you posted on the progress.

I really wish there was something to do to stop Copyright Violations...Except "destroying" the photos with a huge 'copyright' notice across the photo.
(like I have done on my own site)

All the best,

Tommy Mogren
Viking Slides Aviation Photo
http://www.vikingslides.com/publish

Flightdeck Action - Cockpit Videos on Blu-ray and DVD - Flights In The Cockpit- You're Invited!

Tue Oct 02, 2001 5:21 pm

Regardless of what he says, he is not "legally entitled" to onsell pictures that he is not the copyright holder of regardless of what he says. Don't let him con you. These images are stolen and as such he is breaking the law. The fact that he didn't check before he bought them is his own problem.

He might also be lying to you. Ask him for the details (auction number) and full contact details of the person he bought the pictures from. See what he does.

VH-ADG

skyliner

Tue Oct 02, 2001 8:18 pm

ADG's comments are "right on". Acquiring stolen merchandise does not give you the right to sell it, even if you didn't know it was stolen. This seller needs to cooperate and assist Ebay in determining where the stolen merchandise came from.
George

Tommy Mogren

Tue Oct 02, 2001 11:46 pm

Hi,

I just emailed the "seller" requesting him AGAIN to remove the auction, as it still is online....

Also requested the information above (Auction ID from yahoo where he claimed to have bought it, sellers ID at Yahoo etc...)

I'll keep you all posted on the progress....

Tommy Mogren - No fan of copyright violators....
Flightdeck Action - Cockpit Videos on Blu-ray and DVD - Flights In The Cockpit- You're Invited!

Staffan

Tue Oct 02, 2001 11:58 pm

He now knows that the print he is trying to sell is stolen, therefore there is now way in this world that he can justify selling it from now on.

In this case, it doesn't matter if he didn't know that it was stolen when he bought it. He does NOW, and that's what counts...

Staffan

dee-see-eit

Ebay Answers

Wed Oct 03, 2001 1:20 am

Hi all,

Ebay has just mailed me their reply to my claim about the stolen photos. I don't understand everything, but it seems to be a little bit complicated to cope with all what they are suggesting in order to avoid copyright violation...

This is their (long) reply, which in any case looks very standard to me. Pls read it if you've time and let me know your opinion:
----------------------------------------------------
Dear Marlo:

Thank you for contacting us today regarding the unauthorized sale of
your images over eBay. We developed our VeRO program to address
situations like yours.

As you know, eBay does not buy or sell any items; we act only as a venue
that enables others to do so. As such, we neither see nor inspect any
items that are offered for sale on the site. However, recognizing that
some posted items may infringe certain intellectual property rights, we
have set up specific procedures which enable verified rights owners to
identify and request removal of allegedly infringing listings. These
procedures are intended to substantially comply with the requirements of
the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, 17 U.S.C. section 512. Click on
the following link to access the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.

http://www.qlinks.net/comdocs/uscopyright.htm

We encourage you to join our VeRO Program so you can immediately take
advantage of its benefits, which include:

Direct access to an identified customer support group dedicated to
servicing the requests of VeRO Program participants;

Ability to report listings in which your intellectual property or other
proprietary materials are offered, reproduced, or otherwise used in a
manner that violates or threatens to violate your rights, and to have
such listings terminated;

Dedicated priority email queues for reporting alleged infringements;

Ability to create an eBay "About Me" page containing information about
your infringement policies, which will be linked to Listing Removal
notices we send at your request;

Ability to use our Favorite Searches feature to conduct automatic
searches for potentially infringing items, click the following link to
go to our Favorite Searches tool.

http://cgi1.ebay.com/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?addsavedsearch&myfavlogin=1

Ability to obtain (through your eBay membership) detailed contact
information on file with eBay pertaining to sellers and bidders involved
with listings which are removed at your request.

We expect the list of benefits to grow in the future, and we will keep
you apprised of any enhancements to the Program.

You automatically become a member of our VeRO program when we receive
from you a completed Notice of Infringement form. For your convenience,
you can download a copy of our notice of infringement form by clicking
the following link

http://pages.ebay.com/help/community/notice-infringe2.pdf

(If you are unable to download a PDF file, please click on the
following link

http://pages.ebay.com/help/community/infringement.html

to view and print a copy of our Notice of Infringement). Please sign
and send it back to us by fax at (408) 558-7468. For future notices,
you will be able to communicate with us by email to an address we will
give you when we receive your first (hard copy) notice.

Remember, time is of the essence because items are listed a limited
duration. Once we have received your Notice of Infringement in proper
form, we can remove the referenced listing(s). Be sure to identify the
specific listings by number; the user's screen name or user I.D. is not
sufficient.

We look forward to receiving from you a completed VeRO Program Notice of
Infringement and working with you in the future.

If you have questions, please let us know at vero@ebay.com.

Thank your for your business. We appreciate your presence in the
community.

Regards,

Yuri
eBay Community Watch Team
--------------------------------------------------

Regards
DC8

b757300

RE: Ebay Answers

Wed Oct 03, 2001 1:27 am

Looks like a form letter to me.

Thu Oct 04, 2001 1:01 pm

Gents,

Well , I said I would let you know what kind of a reply I got from Ebay. Here it is:

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to submit this information to eBay.

We have reviewed the auction you have brought to our attention and taken
appropriate action. We would also like to explain eBay's policy with
respect to reports like yours. eBay is not in a position to make
judgments about the authenticity or authorized nature of auction items,
except in the most extreme circumstances. This may mean that we cannot
remove the item about which you contacted us. If we receive a proper
notice from the rights owner of the photos, then action on our part can
then be taken.

In some cases, we refer the information to the owner of the rights
(copyright, trademark, etc.) involved, if we know who they are and how
to contact them. Although you may be extremely knowledgeable about
these types of items, we often cannot remove items upon the
representations of third parties whose credentials we cannot verify,
unless of course the alleged infringement is obvious on its face.

That is why we strongly urge you to notify the rights holder of the
suspected infringement and encourage them to join our Verified Rights
Owners (VeRO) Program. This program enables them to request the ending
of allegedly infringing auctions.

We appreciate your continued help in keeping eBay a safe and fair place
to trade!

Regards,

Lucian
eBay Community Watch

I will keep a close eye on this seller. Sorry I can't do more.

Roger

Thu Oct 04, 2001 6:13 pm

As the owner of the copyrighted image is here in this thread (aren't they?), give them the contact eMail for that person at ebay and have them send an email that says something along the lines of:

"I am the copyright owner of the image in question and refer you to [airliners link] as proof, please note the copyright notices on this page. I have NOT given permission for this image to be printed and sold in any way and the seller has been informed. I have also not given permission for this image to appear on your web site.

The seller has chosen to continue with the sale in clear breach of the copyright Acts of his country and the United States and is in clear breach of the DMCA.

I request that the auction and all similar auctions be immediately withdrawn to avoid ebay from being involved in any potentially lengthy legal action.

I draw your attention to the Digital Millenium Copyright Act which requires you to immediately remove any image that breaches copyright from your website once you have been shown proof of copyright which I have supplied in this eMail. Failure to remove this image does put you in breach of the DCMA.

I trust you will IMMEDIATELY remove my image from your site.

[sign here]"

See if that does you any good....

VH-ADG

LOT767-300ER

Thu Oct 11, 2001 10:05 am

I was jus wondering did these guys get permission?
http://www.suncountryva.com/newchoice.htm ?

b757300

Thu Oct 11, 2001 10:33 am

Probably not.......

osu_av8or

Right Click Script...

Thu Oct 11, 2001 2:25 pm

I came across an interesting script recently, it eliminated the ability to "right click" thus not allowing someone to "save picture as". You can get around it by going through your temporary internet files, but it would deter some theft.

I am curious, however, is using photos for my personal use (i.e. in my own screen saver) in an unaltered fashion a breach of the DMCA? So long as I do not distribute the images in any way?

Thanks,
Jeff

Fri Oct 12, 2001 12:21 am

'it eliminated the ability to "right click" thus not allowing someone to "save picture as". '

Even that can't be relied upon.

I saw a tip in 2600 a few months back on how to defeat that in about half a second.

Left click on the picture, but do not release the left mouse button.

Then also click the right mouse button and release it.

The right mouse button menu will then appear.

Use "Save picture as ..." just like you normally would.

(This works for me running IE 5.0 on Win2K.)

airplanenut

Fri Oct 12, 2001 2:36 am

You can also defeat it by going to file -> Save As... the HTML for the page, along with every image on it, is saved.... 2 ways right click has been defeated.

Jeremy
Why yes, in fact, I am a rocket scientist...

AIRCANON

Fri Oct 12, 2001 5:57 am

That script does´nt work when using IE 6.0
As soon as you point the mouse on a picture a little window appears on the upper left of the photo including the save picture icon.  Smile

All you have to do is click on the icon and save.