Invader
Topic Author

Refined Standard For Location On Upload Page

Tue Oct 09, 2001 6:56 am

Hello photogs,

After having to correct the same things over and over again, we decided to refine the standards for the Location entry on the Photo Upload Page.

These standards are described in a new version of the Location "Help" item. Please take a look.

As a reminder : non-standard inputs might result in your photos not turning up in all database searches.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Peter Vercruijsse
Database Standardization Editor

airbus380

RE: Refined Standard For Location On Upload Page

Tue Oct 09, 2001 10:51 am

Hello sir. Are you a new forum moderator?

Sonic99

Tue Oct 09, 2001 11:02 am

Neat.

A quick query/comment (thought?):
Is there a way to advertise the change more prominently on the upload page than actually just implementing the new description? Some people don't visit the forums (or may be unaware of this forum) but upload on an irregular basis and may thus not be aware of such changes. Perhaps place a "What's new" next to the FAQ link?

Just a thought.

Stephan

PUnmuth@VIE

Tue Oct 09, 2001 7:08 pm

Hi!
According tu the rules described in the new Help Text for the Location I would like to point out that thers some info missing for the Austrian Airports:
This is what is in the drop down menu:
Graz - Thalerhof (GRZ)
Innsbruck Kranebitten (INN)
Linz - Horsching (LNZ)
Salzburg - Maxglan (SZG)
Vienna - Schwechat (VIE)

And thats how it should be:

Graz - Thalerhof (GRZ/LOWG)
Innsbruck Kranebitten (INN/LOWI)
Linz - Hörsching (LNZ/LOWL) <-- ö not o!!!!
Salzburg - Maxglan (SZG/LOWS)
Vienna - Schwechat (VIE/LOWW)
Klagenfurt (KLU/LOWK) <-- Missing in the menu.

Regards
Peter
-

Invader
Topic Author

Tue Oct 09, 2001 8:04 pm

Airbus380 :
No, I am not a new forum moderator, but I am the database standardization editor at Airliners.net since about two years or so. See the "About Airliners.net" at the front page.

Stephan :
The Help item was flagged with "New", but as soon as I added something to the upload file, it disappeared again. This is a technical problem, and Johan is looking into it.

Peter :
Many countries have already been overhauled and standardized, but Austria not yet. This is an ongoing process, and currently I am busy with USA - California, a mammoth "country" with originally almost 400 different location entries, which has gone down now to 256 by standardization, but I am only halfway yet. Every airport is checked from about ten different sources, but California has the added problem that there are many helicopter photos taken at all sorts of locations. It is a lot of work to establish if they were made at heliports, or somewhere in town or in the field (an "In ...." location). But I will put Austria high on the priority list! By the way, airport names are always given in English (and therefore you will see Vienna, and not Wien), and German/Swedish/French/Spanish/etc accents are left out, therefore it is Horsching.

General remark :
WHEN a location is provided in the upload list, ALWAYS use that entry without changing it or adding to it, even when it is for a country which has not yet been overhauled, and thus might e.g. not yet have all the appropriate IATA/FAA/ICAO codes.

Regards,
Peter Vercruijsse
Database Standardization Editor

lindy field

Tue Oct 09, 2001 10:50 pm

Just a note, Peter. I for one really appreciate the standardization of California locations. You seem to be making a lot of progress!