jderden777

I Need A 1.4x Tele-converter..

Sun Nov 11, 2001 10:34 am

i'm going to DFW in a little over a week and i was planning on buying a 1.4x converter for my 70-300mm lens to give it just a little over 400mm capability (full zoom, which i won't use that much at 420mm)...so i have sigma lenses, and a canon elan 2e body, which brand/version should i get? i'm looking at either sigma or tamron, and i will probably go for sigma...the 1.4x APO Teleconverter EX for Canon...but i just want a little reassurance before i buy into this...any thoughts?

jonathan d., DFW bound!!!
"my soul is in the sky" - shakespeare

joe pries

RE: I Need A 1.4x Tele-converter..

Sun Nov 11, 2001 11:57 am

Jonathan, if you are planning to shoot from the outside by the perimiter fence at DFW you might have a very frustrating time, i know the ops/cops are kicking anyone they see out of there.

Joe

jderden777

RE: Joe

Sun Nov 11, 2001 12:08 pm

Joe:
Thanks for the heads-up...most likely i'll just be shooting from the ramp though  Smile/happy/getting dizzy and if i do want to shoot outside the fence i'll try and contact airport police (i'll be in constant touch with airport ops, as they are taking me on the tour) and see if i can spend some time out there...

jonathan d.

p.s. you reckon i should ask them if it'd be ok for me to "shoot" a little while outside the fence?!  Wink/being sarcastic or should i use a better choice of words? hehe

da Fwog

Sun Nov 11, 2001 4:36 pm

Jonathan,

the Sigma EX converter is not compatible with your lens. The reason for this is that in common with the Canon converters, the front element of the converter extends beyond the front of the barrel. This means that if you mount it on an incompatible lens, one of two things will happen.

Either, 1: it simply won't go, because the protruding front element will stop you twisting it on. Or 2: it will go on okay, and then when you zoom out, the rear element of your lens will hit the front element of the converter - glass against glass! Ouch!

For info. on the Sigma converters, see this page:

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/html/pages/ConvComptChart.htm

sia jubilee

Sun Nov 11, 2001 5:41 pm

Hi jonathan,

It is not recommended to use tele converter on 70-300 4.5-5.6 (4-5.6) lens.
As almost of the converters are design for those "L" series lenses.(longer than 180mm)
Such as EF300mm f4, EF70-200m f4/f2.8.
Just like the case of me.
I canot get good result when using my 1.4x or 2x on 70-300mm.....
I only use them on my Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8D, Tokina 100-300 f/4.

Alan

Carlos Borda

Sun Nov 11, 2001 6:21 pm

Not sure if it's recommended or not.... but I've used by Sigma EX 1.4 teleconverter with my Sigma EX 28-70mm f~2.8 lens and with good results too. Reason being is that I have no lens that covers me between the small 70-80mm range since my big lens is the Nikkor 80-200mm f~2.8. It's not often that I use the converter with the 28-70 lens, but on those rare times that I had to, the results were acceptable.

~Carlos

jderden777

Mon Nov 12, 2001 3:33 am

oh well, i guess i can manage without one...sometime hopefully i'll have enough money saved up to by those fast glass f/2.8 zoom lenses...for now i'll just have to settle with my current equipment...

jonathan d.
9 days til departure for DFW

DSMav8r

Mon Nov 12, 2001 5:51 am

Jonathan,

You may want to check out Kenko's TC's, they are about the best you can buy. I own both the 1.4x and the 2x Teleplus 300 models, both are fantastic. Another plus is, they work with well with most lenses' AF, where Sigma's notoriously have problems.

The Kenko Teleplus 300 is pretty pricey ($179), but well worth the $$$. Kenko also has a less expensive model for around $70-$80, which works well also.

The Tamron TC's are just re-badged Kenko's, so those would work well too.

Aric Thalman
Omaha, USA
To most people, the sky is the limit. To those who love aviation, the sky is home