Can't Understand It .....

Thu Nov 22, 2001 2:55 am

I know I'm not the first and won't be the last but I can't figure out what the **** I'm doing wrong scanning my photo's in.
Every one I've ever sent in as been rejected and before I get complaints about moaning, YES it is obviously something I'm not doing right.
My camera is a Nikon 801 with a good selection of Sigma lenses (nothing wrong there then) I use Kodacolour Gold Royale film (not everyones choice but we are all different) I've a Canon N650U scanner and an ADSL connection (so far so good) + probably the most important thing of all I'm an ex semi pro photographer, but when it comes to computers....well er.
Right down to bussiness, I scan my photo's using Arcsoft Photo studio 2000, and I've tried 300dpi right up to 1200dpi then I reduce the image to 1024 width and the height is done auto, I then save it as a jpeg.
When I open up the file again I can zoom in a few times before it begins to break up. I can send photo's as E-Mail attachments and nobody says the quality is bad? I've got loads of brilliant quality slides from Manchester Airport (1970s) etc, but until I sort this problem out I can't be bothered spending so much time scanning them in.
Somebody help pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease...

RE: Can't Understand It .....

Thu Nov 22, 2001 3:05 am

What about some examples?

Thu Nov 22, 2001 3:26 am

Yeah, a few examples and we may be able to help.

Thu Nov 22, 2001 3:36 am

as Peter said, please let us see some pics.

You wrote that you scan with 300-1200dpi, right? So I guess you scan prints. By scanning prints with 300dpi you "can" get some good results. Before I started with slides, I´ve had a really hard time getting prints accepted. Later some of them made it. I used to scan at 300 dpi, resized to 1024, used the unsharpen tool and saved the picture with jpg-wizard and NO compression! Maybe the best way getting prints accepted???

Hope it helps!

Regards from FRA

Thu Nov 22, 2001 5:10 am

If you send your E-mail address to me and I'll send you a couple of examples, but it may not be tonight.
Thanks for your help and patience.
da Fwog

Thu Nov 22, 2001 9:37 am

Hm. The comment about examples meant "post some here". Or rather, stick some on a website somewhere, and provide links in this thread so we can all take a look.

Regarding your old photos from the '70s - the acceptance standards for older material are more relaxed, so you might get these accepted with the technique you're using now. However, if it's possible to improve things, then obviously you should do so - we would like to see these old photos in their best possible light!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Fri Nov 23, 2001 5:30 am

Wietse de Graaf

Fri Nov 23, 2001 8:33 am

blurry, maybe a bit of noise or grain as well.
Either the shots are not well focussed or the scanner needs adjustment. You might be able to improve them a bit in Photoshop or similar.
Composition is quite nice.
I wish I were flying