Just wonder, can you take a perfect still shot of
a moving/flying plane at dark?

Thanks

Daniel
AirTeamImages -ATI-

Staffan

RE: Moving Night Shots...

Tue Dec 04, 2001 2:10 am

Either by using super fast film or be really good at panning. A fast lense will also make it easier.

Staffan

ckw

Tue Dec 04, 2001 2:25 am

I was trying this just the other week. The problem is that for an airborne aircraft, or aircraft on the runway, you're pretty much reliant on the aircraft's own lights to illuminate itself, and logo lights etc. don't give off a lot of light! On 100ASA film I was getting exposures running into many seconds (going to 400 wouldn't help much) making panning nearly impossible, even on a tripod, as the aircraft will be moving around a bit in the vertical plane over this sort of time period.

You may get lucky with an aircraft moving slowly in a well lit ramp area. If you can expose at, say, 1/15th of a second on a slow moving aircraft, the impression will be of much higher speed.

Cheers,

Colin
Colin K. Work, Pixstel

mirage

Tue Dec 04, 2001 7:26 am

Or you can use the movement in your advantage.

This was at 1/8 sec using the Image Stabilizer, hand held but luck is a enormus factor for this kind of photos.

Luis

ckw

Tue Dec 04, 2001 7:49 am

Nice one!

Cheers,

Colin
Colin K. Work, Pixstel

Glenn

Tue Dec 04, 2001 6:12 pm

Got this one plus a few others in the sequence.The aircraft is actually running along the runway taking off. It is not a fake, the lights in the background are evidence of that but no doubt someone will say it is. They know who they are. Illuminated mainly by nothing  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

ckw

Tue Dec 04, 2001 9:42 pm

Glenn - surely this is presented as darker than the scene actually was? Eg. a dusk shot with some underexposure?

If it represents the actual light levels, and the plane is moving at anything above a crawl I can't see how you could get both plane and background so sharp (no motion blur) - unless of course you're using fine-grain 6400 ASA film  Smile

Cheers,

Colin
Colin K. Work, Pixstel

Glenn

Wed Dec 05, 2001 2:41 pm

Actually Colin, it was shot at 1600 ISO at 1/90 sec. The image was a lot darker, I actually lightened it and got this result. from memory the sun had set about 30 minutes before to give you an actual idea of the actual darkness. If I didn't have a digital camera, I wouldn't have even attempted this shot.

ckw

Wed Dec 05, 2001 6:02 pm

Interesting - it sure didn't look like a 1600 ASA shot in the version you provided - it seems to be far less grainy/noisy than film would be at 1600. Have you cleaned up the noise at all? In any case, if that's what you can acheive at 1600 it would seem this is a seriously under-sold virtue of digital. You may make a convert of me yet!

Cheers,

Colin
Colin K. Work, Pixstel

Glenn

Wed Dec 05, 2001 6:18 pm

Well the image is only a fraction of the size so it has hidden the grain to a certain point. However it has generated those white bars on either side of the image. When you blow it up, it grains all over the place  Wink/being sarcastic The amount of detail I was to get was impressive enough to me. I guess with Digital camera's it works a bit like video where it is able to capture low lighting conditions better. In any case, I wouldn't make a habit of taking these shots.

Off to Nowra on Friday to get the Skyhawks last official flight before they leave on Sunday to return to New Zealand. Hoping to get some decent shots there

Carlos Borda

Sat Dec 08, 2001 12:56 pm

I did some searching around in my books and came across the name Gordon Ho. He has some pretty unique night time action shots both in books and on a.net. Would like to know what type of film he used and his settings when shooting these. In a situation like his it sure did help to have a brightly illuminated Kowloon City as a backdrop to provide plenty of light. Very interesting shots....

~Carlos

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Gordon Ho

Click for large version

Photo © Gordon Ho

Click for large version

Photo © Gordon Ho

jderden777

Sun Dec 09, 2001 1:21 am

Carlos;
If i recall correctly from a post a long time ago, he was using an 85mm f/2.8 lens...not sure of the shutter speed but it probably wasn't that low as the lights of kowloon probably helped out with that (maybe 1/60?)...they are spectacular photos though...geeze i wish i could've gone there...

jonathan d.
"my soul is in the sky" - shakespeare