jderden777

"Trouble" At ATL...

Sun Dec 30, 2001 1:30 am

hey everybody...
i took a day trip down to ATL yesterday, where i spent the day flying in a Delta 737-200 sim and taking pics from the ASA end of concourse C...
after a few hours of taking pics there, the ASA gate agents apparently got worried about me, my friend, and Matthew Lee (he was there too, and he has some NICE photos on here!)

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Matthew Lee

anyway, after a while an ASA gate agent came over to us, while we were taking pictures, and said:
"i'm sorry but you cannot take any more pictures here."
to which we all replied, "why's that?"
agent: "it's a new FAA regulation, it is illegal for any pictures to be taken inside the airport"
us: "yeah, right.."
then matthew lee stood up for us all and said "if you can bring me any paperwork showing me that it's illegal then i'll quit"

hooray for matthew!!!! so the gate agent stomped off and didn't come back with any more excuses to get us to stop taking pictures...

but later a national guard dude came over to us, and it just so happens i was in the midst of taking a picture, and he bumped into me (probably no accident) and said "What the hell are you guys doing?...HUH?"
i just kinda stood there for a sec, not sure of what to say having a national guard dude kinda invading my personal space...then matthew turned and said to him
"we're just amateur aviation photographers taking pictures of AIRPLANES...that's what we do as our hobby"
the nat'l guard dude said "oh, so no pictures of people?"
"uhhh...no..airplanes..."
and then he walked off, but stayed around the area keeping an eye on us...

so just a heads-up to all you photogs heading down to ATL anytime soon...they're pretty anal about the picture taking, but just stand up for yourself, and as long as you are just taking pictures there is nothing they can do to stop you from taking pictures...just some advice: always stand up for yourself and your hobby...there is nothing illegal about it.

jonathan d.

"my soul is in the sky" - shakespeare

SJC-Alien

RE: "Trouble" At ATL...

Sun Dec 30, 2001 1:46 am

,,,Yes,,know your Rights,,,,

Ask for a supervisor, get your paper and pencil out and start asking names, or write them down from the name plate, ask to see THEIR ID to confirm THEY are real.(see how fast they back off...)...ha ha just a 'turn the tables' on them and put them on the defensive, ask to see if their ID is real...you could stir all sorts of s**t out of it....

Ask them to produce the new security act paperwork and show you where it says 'no photography'...it was total BS,,,good thing Matthew Lee stood up...VERY good...they were just throwing their authority around...we make an easy target......

Wouldn't it be nice to have some major media attention on a story like this, related to our hobby, put on National news channels...? Of course, it may backfire, too.......I think I'm gonna do some checking and find out all I can on airport security issues and see what this new law entails...so I'll keep you posted...

SJC ALien

jderden777

Sun Dec 30, 2001 1:49 am

hey SJC-Alien,
Thanks and email me or post here for anything...my email is: jderden777@hotmail.com

i would never let a gate agent boss me around about taking photos, but i gotta admit i was a little disturbed by the national guard guy breathing down my neck..

jonathan d.

Dazed767

Sun Dec 30, 2001 7:33 am

Good for you, I'd do the samething too if it happened.(and asking for the name and seeing the badge is a good idea!)

C-GRYK

Sun Dec 30, 2001 7:37 am

Good for you guys! Finally some people who are strong minded enough to stand up for themselves in the face of adversity. Let's all keep spotting and start standing up for ourselves, we have a right to be taking photos of aircraft, there will be no law in the USA (or my Canada for that matter) against aviation photography in my opinion. People just like to feel important. Good job guys!

Jeremy
Think before you type!

2912n

Sun Dec 30, 2001 10:36 am

I am all for people having the right to take photos, (like a photo in a terminal is really some security threat...) if we, as photographers, manage to piss off enough people our rights will be taken away. Some moron will make it illegal to use cameras inside a terminal and we will all be screwed.

By all means stand up for yourself, but try being polite about it.

planeboy

Drama

Sun Dec 30, 2001 11:51 am

Life is all about "Drama"

Enjoy and respect. Be careful of being caught in the "wrong place" at the "wrong time".

Unfortunately, the "NEGATIVITY GOD" has captured the world's attention. So what shall we do ?

As the fellows above have mentioned - DON'T GIVE UP.

Remind the "paranoid bastards" - THE WORLD IS STILL FREE !!!!!!!!

Fore - otherwise - we all lose.....

We need folks to stand up for what they believe in now more than ever....

Does anyone remember the "Boston Tea Party" ?

Does anyone remember when President Reagan was shot?

Does anyone remember Nixon's impeachment?

Does anyone remember seeing the video of president JFK having his head blown to pieces in Texas - and his wife picking up the pieces and trying to put them back into place while they were driving in that little parade ?

That was sad - she actually tried to put the pieces that she could reach - back into her husbands head - as if it would bring him back to life...

Little did she know - but that is another story...

Life is all about drama.

Take your pick.

Do what you wanna do.

CcrlR

Sun Dec 30, 2001 12:12 pm

I guess you handled the situation carefully and calmly. I had people that do that to me sometimes and I tell them that there isn't anything in the regulations about this. As long as I am not harming anyone in the airport or on the planes it's not illegal. and they say whatever and they leave. Sometimes the police look at me and they don't care. They just walk away.
"He was right, it is a screaming metal deathtrap!"-Cosmo (from the Fairly Oddparents)

H. Simpson

Sun Dec 30, 2001 3:09 pm

Thank you for bringing up the topic, keep our hobby alive!

KCLE

Sun Dec 30, 2001 3:55 pm

Call me stupid, but why was the National guard guy so worried about you taking pictures of people, even though you weren't? Is there some sort of law against taking pictures of people in an airport terminal?

5280AGL

Sun Dec 30, 2001 5:21 pm

I believe the only law is that you cannot take pictures of the security check points (like you would really want to anyway). But I am not even sure it is a real law...They sure as hell will nail ya if you try though.

mirage

Mon Dec 31, 2001 12:16 am

"...just some advice: always stand up for yourself and your hobby..."

Yes, it's nice to have Matthew Lee around to stand up for you, lol.

Luis

scottysair

Mon Dec 31, 2001 8:34 am

Jonathan,

What is problems with National Guard at ATL airport and did he was tell you something about with no camera allowing with the airplanes. So it was about due of heightened of security. If you were taking a pictures and they will tell u will had a leave. This is important as for the aviation photography. Well, that it for now.

Regards,

Scott

b757300

Mon Dec 31, 2001 3:47 pm

National Guardsmen are the worst. On Wednesday, my friend was flying back to Seattle out of our small airport here in College Station, Texas. I went to see him off and to do some more experimenting with my camera since you can get close to the runways and outside without a problem. Anyway, his dad took a picture of him and within 2 seconds, that M16 carrying fool was in his face. He took the camera out of his hands and removed the film all because the security area was about 30 feet in the background. Well, I went outside to watch the Saab 340 takeoff and who shows up, Mr. Rambo. He tells me that it is illegal to take pictures at airports and to give him the camera. (He couldn't grab it since it was around my neck.) I told him it was not illegal and if by some chance it was for him to show me solid proof, not just his words. I don't think he expected someone to respond this way. After thinking for a second, he told me to come inside and talk to the guy in charge of the airport. I told him fine, since the Saab has already left, and we went inside. The airport manager quickly told him I was NOT breaking the law and unless I was in an area declared off limits then I was not going to be detained. I went back outside and finished my roll of film with a few pictures of a Continental EMB-120 arriving from Houston. I got them developed and tried to scan them. All but one came out "soft and fuzzy". I need a different lens but that's another story.
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

Alaskaairlines

Mon Dec 31, 2001 5:58 pm

I don't see what in the world they want, is our hobby of aviation photography going to hurt them or slow things down?

Good report.

-Dmitry

jderden777

Tue Jan 01, 2002 2:18 am

Mirage (Luis),
Alright...yes it was good to have him around. He was just the one who spoke up first before I did. i do thank him for being the one to say something, but if he didn't speak to them first then i sure would have. i already had my mouth open to speak when Mr. Lee spoke up...i would've said pretty much the same thing he did, except he beat me to the chase...
so yes i do think we need to stand up for ourselves and for our hobby...in this case it wasn't me doing ALL the talking

jonathan d.

SJC-Alien

Tue Jan 01, 2002 10:28 am

I called my Congressman's office and asked for a report and I'm still waiting,.....as soon as I hear, I'll let you know......and I'm keeping prints of this stuff, btw,,,,nothing I'd like better is to bring a 'class action lawsuit' on this,,,,when I have the right info. I'm taking my time......"just you wait, my pretty"

SJC Alien

tu154m

Who Do You Know, Jonathan?

Tue Jan 01, 2002 8:51 pm

Everyone,
I agree with all of the continue taking pictures stuff. One question for Jonathan....Who do you know that got you time in ANY one of DL's sims??? I work for DL in ATL and there is no way in hell they would let a mechanic in there!!!! I had to go to an aircraft taxi procedures class and they let us drive the thing, but just to practice emergency stuff. I would have to go under Leo's desk to even get considered to "pop in" and fly a sim.(And it ain't worth it!). Obviously you are doing something alot of us aren't. I can fly for free and anyone that goes to as many places as you have been(paying I assume) and gets access knows someone! And you are only 16-21!?!?!?! Congrats on getting the hint I never got!
Steve
CEOs should swim with cement flippers!

Jan Mogren

Tue Jan 01, 2002 8:57 pm

>I would have to go under Leo's desk ..<  Wow!

You know, if you REALLY want something..  Laugh out loud

(JUST KIDDING ALRIGHT!!!)

/JM

AeroPresentation - Airline DVD's filmed in High Definition

tu154m

Tue Jan 01, 2002 9:13 pm

OH Yeah!!!! Just kidding! There is nothing that important!!!!!!!
CEOs should swim with cement flippers!

SafetyDude

Tue Jan 01, 2002 11:42 pm

Good job standing up for our hobby  Big thumbs up
If I ever get bothered I'll use this!

Alen, tell us as soon as you know!
-Will
"She Flew For What We Stand For"

RC Pilot

Wed Jan 02, 2002 1:37 am

I had a simalar situation at the airport that is kind of close to my house (quad city airport) in moline, IL

I wasn't taking any pictures. I just like going and watching the planes at the airport. I was parked in a grassy area that the firefighters use to test there fire trucks and I guess it's used for other things.

But anyway, Its not a very busy airport so I had to wait a while some times. I wasn't sitting in my car, I was standing a little away from it for a good view.

A police officer came over and told me this was restricted. And I politely responded and left. I went over to where a residential street ended. This street faced the terminal. I had to be about a half mile to 3\4 of a mile away i Think. Probubly less, but it was at least 3 football fields.

A few minutes later that same cop came up and he searched my car, which I didn't mind much because i thought he was going to let me stay after having seen what I was up to.

Then he told me to leave. Now there was a house not to far from us and I told him that I wasn't anymore of a threat than the man living in that house there if not less.

Then he threatened me with this having to see the FBI bull !@#$ and since I really dont want to be in the news since I still go to school I gave in.

I should have keeped going, I love arguing with power hungry morons. Let me remind you I live in the quad cities, there isn't much that happens here and the police jump all over the littlest thing.

Just being polite doesn't really help in an area like mine.

Good luck all.

jderden777

Wed Jan 02, 2002 4:01 am

first of all, about the sim time in ATL...
i know a delta 732 captain and he also is a flight instructor for it...he flies 4 months out of the year and trains others for 8 months. he used one of my photos in a powerpoint presentation (along with gregg stansberry's, and brian stevenson's)...i asked him if i'm ever in ATL and had the time if he would show me around...so i flew down to ATL for the day last friday, and met up with him...he took me and jonathan birdwell (flew down there with me) into the DL 737-200 sim and we flew around for about an hour...i have to say i made one of my best landings in that sim  Smile/happy/getting dizzy i greased her down on 8L at ATL (sim, of course!)...ahh what a great day that was! i took a bunch of pics, and i will get them back on thursday afternoon...i got some shots of N813DE, the DL M11 in new colors....so be on the lookout for some of my shots from this trip

jonathan d.

SJC-Alien

Fri Jan 04, 2002 10:44 pm

Still awaiting an answer.....from the Congressmans office,.,,

I did look up the web under NTSB/FAA and the like and it's a HUGE report....so I am trying to cut corners...there is nothing I can find so far in regards to any paragraph/article/section in regards to airport photography, etc,,,,being banned, so it looks like we're in the clear, just under my 1st examination...more to come

I'll keep you posted...

SJC Alien

EGGD

Fri Jan 04, 2002 11:45 pm

This 'matthew lee' person seems to be some sort of super-man..

Tell me more about this person, does he live in Metropolis?

SJC-Alien

Sun Jan 06, 2002 12:42 am

well..if he does,,,there aren't too many 'phone booths' to use anymore...  Big grin

Alien

flyDLjets

Sun Jan 06, 2002 1:07 am

I had a similar problem at Key West. I really enjoy being able to walk out on the tarmac to board so as I walked out I took out my camera and took pictures of a Comair Brasilia and my awaiting Eagle ATR-72. As I was taking pictures a Comair first officer walked up to me and said, "I don't think you can take any pictures out here." Then the natl. gaurd got interested. Being an commercial pilot I told him that you know as well as me that there are no damn regulations about photography. He stared at me blankly and walked away with the Natl. Gaurdsman. I have recieved the same treatment from ramp crews at small airports. I was taking shots of Jimmy Buffett's Falcon 50 at PDK in Atlanta after one of my flights and I was told to leave and they wanted my film!!! I told them to f**k off and called thier supervisor.

I am done venting now!!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

SJC-Alien

Sun Jan 06, 2002 2:40 am

Excellent, good story

,,,from what I've seen on the new FAA order,,,,,,,and I haven't read it all.....is there is nothing about taking photos at airports,,,,it's more of who/what/when/where each airport thinks what 'their responsibility' is for 'security' at each airport....

I think if we challenge them and say' show me the papers',,,or,,,,,'show me the paragraph...article/ number'...etc,,,,we got 'em cold,,,,cuz I can't find anything on restrictions on photography yet...

I'm still checking.....and I'm gonna re-call the Congressmans office,,I still haven't gotten a response yet..

I say challenge authority - nicely, firmly,...
don't blow it for everybody

SJC ALien

United_fan

RE:Trouble @ ROC

Sun Jan 06, 2002 2:47 am

I was unfortunate to have my first experience in my 15 years of plane spotting today at my airport,ROC (Rochester,NY) I was sitting in my car in the same spot I have sat for 15 years,reading the new Airliner World,after watching a DL727 land,when I happened to glance in my rearview mirror and saw a Monroe County Sheriff walking up to my car with his hand on his crappy-ass Glock. Anyways,I turned my scanner down and rolled my window down. Then he asked that stupid question like he wants to be friends and shit 'how ya doing?' I said 'fine' He said 'what are you doing here?' I said watching planes. He said 'that's not allowed anymore this is a restricted area!' WHAT????? since when I asked? September 11th I was told. I said there are no signs! He said that sign right there says No trespassing - I said that means inside airport property! He then goes into asshole cop mode and tells me to vacate the premises immediately! Since when is sitting in my f-ing car listening to the scannner an illegal activity?Well I'm sure my plate was noted - but i don't care I'll be back tomorrow!Fu%k em. The thing that really burns my ass is before he came,a lawn mowing company's truck pulled up and the gate was opened for him to come in with NO inspection of any kind!There could have been a terrorist or a bomb on board (it was a fullsize van) Sorry,but I'm still pissed off.One of the few pleasures I have in life on my day off is now considered ILLEGAL!! I sent the Sheriff's office an e-mail about why when I was there last week a Sheriff came down looked around an left when there was 6 other cars doing the same thing!

Thanks,I had to vent!
Scott
Champagne For My Real Friends,and Real Pain For My Sham Friends

H. Simpson

Sun Jan 06, 2002 7:33 am

relax, Scott0. I'm sure they won't bother you since I also had my name down in the FBI sh*t...

here's my story: I was at EWR(well, close to it, where there is a furniture store)watching planes with binoculars, I try to stay off the crowd area to avoid troubles...after 30 mins, a cop show up and parked right in front of me and said "whatever you are doing here, stop it." then I said what's wrong? he said
"you can't photograph or watch the planes with binoculars, it's a THREAT to NATIONAL SECURITY" Angry then he continues "there may be future attacks and I suspect you may be a TERRIOST". Then he took down my name, address and phone#. at the end he told me to leave immediately.

I don't care it anymore. how could a 16 years old be a terriost just by telling with binoculars. It DOES NOT make sense, right?

BTW, there was a nice European(i think) guy show up and try to explain to the cop what i' doing, I didn't have a chance to say thanks so I should say "Thank You" here to whoever he is. Big thumbs up

by a very  Pissed mike

United_fan

RE: H.Simpson

Sun Jan 06, 2002 3:02 pm

Sorry,but I don't like being treated like a crimainal for planespotting becausue some buzzhead a$$hole cop is on a powertrip!

H. Simpson

Sun Jan 06, 2002 3:10 pm

yeah they like(and loved) to use Plane spotter as a target for showing off power.

5280AGL

Sun Jan 06, 2002 3:15 pm

Well, do you really blame the guys? Afterall, they spend hours and hours walking around the airport NEVER FINDING ANYTHING or collecting fingernail clippers from elderly women who might be terrorists. So, after awhile, they just need someone to pick on and flex their manhood...

LOL, jarheads....

United_fan

Sun Jan 06, 2002 3:20 pm

That's okay,I'll be back tomorrow-they don't intimitade me! It would never hold up in court anyway.

5280AGL

Sun Jan 06, 2002 3:45 pm

The day that photographing aircraft in the U.S. is illegal is the day I move to Canada.  Smile

H. Simpson

Mon Jan 07, 2002 5:44 am

I'll go with you, 5280AGL. I'll be in Toronto Big thumbs up

tpk

Thu Jan 17, 2002 12:08 am

Wow, I guess I missed a hassle there - I changed planes at ATL on the same day (12/28) and luckily did not have the same experience. I feel bad that you guys had to go through that. While there, I spent some time on Concourse E and got some great shots of a Korean 744 that was parked away from the gate. I also shot from Concourse A without any hassle (suprisingly). Since that was my first time photographing since 9/11, I felt encouraged.

I was at PHX and SAN later in the trip and was approached only once by a cop in Phoenix who understood immediately what I was doing, talked to me for a few minutes, and then left me alone. In San Diego, even after spending 2 hours standing on the roof of a friends truck at the end of the runway near Laurel and Harbor, not a single cop questioned me.

I have to say I was really suprised by all of this and I hope that my experience gives other people the hope that we will still be able to continue with our hobby without fear of being taken in for violating a law that doesn't exist.

jderden777

Tpk

Thu Jan 17, 2002 7:15 am

I saw the KAL 744 sitting there....DANG i'm kicking myself that i didn't go get it....geeze...also saw the Soaring Spirit 777... Pissed

jonathan d.

:::still kicking:::
oh well...next trip i'll get it! maybe by the next time i get down there Alitalia will be flying to ATL!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

tpk

Soaring Spirit

Thu Jan 17, 2002 12:06 pm

Jderden777-

Yeah, I saw psyched about the Soaring Spirit too. It was my first time seeing it and there was a nice deep blue sky during the hour I was there. When I arrived, it was parked at the gate right next to the escalators down to the tunnel, so it was way too close to get a shot of the whole plane. I had to run to catch my connecting flight, but I did manage to shoot the tail though.

I enjoyed ATL a lot, and until I read your post, I was actually considering taking an esaver down from Hartford one weekend - arrive early and stay the whole day shooting inside the concourses, then return to the airport early on my departure date. I may still go but need to be prepared for the possibility of a hassle.

Take care and good luck spotting in the future.

Tim

flpuck6

Thu Jan 17, 2002 12:34 pm

Come to think of it, I was ATL that day, 12/28!

The 2:30pm arrival from PVD, flt. 1557, 757 N624DL n/c lol.

I had 45 mins. for a connection time, so I did not get to roam around and take photos. Took a few "artsy" shots from the gate window, that's all. Didn't want to risk anything either...

then again, I was asked not to take photos on my return leg through SLC.
Bonjour Chef!

flpuck6

Thu Jan 17, 2002 12:43 pm

Hey guys-

Read the following extremely informative thread started by SJC ALien...

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/general_aviation/read.main/708143/
Bonjour Chef!

gocaps16

Thu Jan 17, 2002 11:43 pm

If some idiot wants your film, you should charge him for it.
hmmm, How about $100 per exposure in a roll. LOL, you'd be a rich MF'r. Also, a way to piss him off.
I can't beleive a pilot told you that you were not allowed to take pictures? I've been on commuter flights where the captain let me take picture of the plane while boarding on the ramp. Man, sercurity now sucks to all of us.

Jonathan, about Matthew, yea, he's a true spotter. He is lucky because he works at IAD and spots everyday and fly non-rev on weekends.  Smile

Kevin/DCA