ake0404ar

Surprise, Do U Always Know What You Have On Film?

Wed Jan 09, 2002 5:31 pm

Not like some others I just shoot aircrafts, not really paying attention to what it is. I am more concerned about the angle, light and composition, but the other day I was in MUC and to my surprise I saw the new Hapag Lloyd A310-204 in TUI livery.

I of course had no clue what it was, I just thought it kind a looked nice.....so I took some shots. After having picked up the slides I noticed that I have something special on film......

Here is a preview, currently stuck in the queue....

Anyone had similar experience?

Vasco Garcia

Thom@s

RE: Surprise, Do U Always Know What You Have On Film?

Wed Jan 09, 2002 5:42 pm

Actually yes. I was just waiting for this plane to fill more of the frame, it wasn't untill later I noticed how well the blue sky and the dark mountains matched the rest of the scenery.  Smile

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Thomas A. Hjelmen

Nice shot btw Vasco.

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

nighthawk

Wed Jan 09, 2002 11:37 pm

I gotta say AKE0404AR that is a really nice pic! BTW with regards to the airline in the picture, will all the airlines remain individual, or will they all be renamed TUI? The reason i ask is that the plane still has the old airlines name on it, yet the newly repainted Britannia planes do not carry the airlines name, unless i am mistaken?

Carlos Borda

Thu Jan 10, 2002 12:27 am

I caught this moment on film by accident (sort of)....
I was concentrating on just taking some sunset shots of WTC 1 from the obs deck on WTC 2... I must have took a half dozen shots like this that moment because I was bracketing and the sun was getting weak fast.
After 9/11 I decided to pull those slides out from that day's visit up there, I had them tucked away in the closet for a couple years... and much to my surprise in the corner when I pulled this slide, I see an aircraft ... an MD80 on approach into LGA.

Click for large version

Photo © Carlos Borda

~Los

mikephotos

Thu Jan 10, 2002 12:44 am

Vasco..that's where you and I differ. Personally, I remember each and every shot, including the registration. Heck, I would have even remembered there was that Team Luft. Dash in the background.

Great shot! I'm sure it'll be accepted.

Michael

ake0404ar

Thu Jan 10, 2002 1:09 am

Michael,

true, In the beginning I was not at all for Regs, nowadays I am starting to pay more and more attention to it.
Nonetheless this shot was a difficult one, had to shoot thru the fence at 500mm and there were some other obsticles in the way as well.

Vasco

chris28_17

Thu Jan 10, 2002 1:15 am

With all due respect to Carlos and that picture, PLEASE dont take offense to this, but... "... and much to my surprise in the corner when I pulled this slide, I see an aircraft"

Now, last time i checked, this IS "airliners.net" not "reallygoodpictures.net" And although i dont nessasarily disagree with that picture being here, it does raise some very valid questions...

Once again, dont misunderstand me, it is an awesome picture, when i first looked at it i stared at it and was like "wow" the artistic value to it is incredible... But, i just wanted to point out what i think alot of people are thinking but dont want to say (since it is the WTC and all... )

Just my $0.02, please dont take offense... thanks

CHRIS

b757300

Thu Jan 10, 2002 2:05 am

I have a slide I took in August 2001 @ DFW of an American 767-200. When I looked @ the slide more closely, I found out the registry number of the aircraft is N334AA. If I can ever figure out how to get the slides from that trip to scan correctly, maybe I'll upload it.
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

Carlos Borda

Thu Jan 10, 2002 2:46 am

Glad to hear you enjoyed that shot Chris... thanks.
I take no offence to what your trying to explain, but I'm not really sure what it "is" your trying to say here.

What "valid questions" and what "people are thinking but don't want to say"? Could you explain in more detail...

Personally... I never want us (Americans) to ever forget what we once had and how quickly it was taken away from us by terrorist. WTC was a symbol of many things to this country... economic power, freedom and pride to name just a few.

Again... thanks for the nice comments on the shot.

~Los

Chris writes:

>>With all due respect to Carlos and that picture, PLEASE dont take offense to this, but... "... and much to my surprise in the corner when I pulled this slide, I see an aircraft"

Now, last time i checked, this IS "airliners.net" not "reallygoodpictures.net" And although i dont nessasarily disagree with that picture being here, it does raise some very valid questions...

Once again, dont misunderstand me, it is an awesome picture, when i first looked at it i stared at it and was like "wow" the artistic value to it is incredible... But, i just wanted to point out what i think alot of people are thinking but dont want to say (since it is the WTC and all... )

Just my $0.02, please dont take offense... thanks

CHRIS>>

Carlos Borda

Thu Jan 10, 2002 2:51 am

500mm and thru the fense with obsticles... and rotating never the less. Nice shot Vasco... just curious, but what type of lens did you use for it? The clarity is very sharp.

~Los

Vasco writes:

>>Nonetheless this shot was a difficult one, had to shoot thru the fence at 500mm and there were some other obsticles in the way as well.

Vasco<<

mikephotos

Thu Jan 10, 2002 2:52 am

Carlos...I think Chris was really saying that your shot sucked big time and he couldn't even see a plane with a 30x loupe. Hey, but I like it  Smile

Michael

Carlos Borda

Thu Jan 10, 2002 2:59 am

Hahaha.. good one Mike.  Big grin
I was actually kinda surprised myself at the time when Johan accepted it for that same reason. But in light of what the WTC tragedy meant to so many around the world... I understand why he added to the datebase.

~Los

F5 Mike writes:

>>Carlos...I think Chris was really saying that your shot sucked big time and he couldn't even see a plane with a 30x loupe. Hey, but I like it

Michael<<

Fly-K

Thu Jan 10, 2002 4:00 am

I think most of the photogs who are also spotters and take an interest in aviation itself know pretty well what they have shot. For some, that's the whole reason to go out shooting, and that's why many note down what they've seen/shot.

Konstantin
Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been...

wietse

Thu Jan 10, 2002 4:11 am

Personally, I am completely nuts about aviation, but somehow, when I am there spotting, I am there as a Photographer, and not as an aviation hobbyist. I don't quite care what a/c it is, as long as I can get a good picture of it! Usually the photo's I remember the most are the ones I get disappointed with, and the unsuspected ones are often the most rewarding. (the ones you didn't remember you shot)

Wietse/AMS
Wietse de Graaf

mirage

RE: Nighthawk

Thu Jan 10, 2002 5:15 am

The newly repainted Britannia planes do carry the airline name, check my last photos to confirm.

Vasco, did you upload that photo with that Copyright banner in that position?

Luis

da Fwog

Thu Jan 10, 2002 5:32 am

A couple of examples for you: in this first shot, I never noticed the heron in the foreground, even though it was quite large, and right in my line of sight. When I looked at the pic afterwards I laughed out loud - it looked so comical

Click for large version

Photo © Chris Sheldon

This second example, I never saw the third a/c (Emirates A330) until after I had fired the shutter and thought I missed it, but as I was gradually moving the camera up as the BY 757 was climbing out, it just sneaked into the top of the frame, which was a nice surprise (This one's sitting in the queue - not sure it will be accepted, as all the aircraft are quite small):

http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/big/g-byad-011230-9297.jpg

ake0404ar

Thu Jan 10, 2002 6:31 am

Carlos wrote:
"500mm and thru the fense with obsticles... and rotating never the less. Nice shot Vasco... just curious, but what type of lens did you use for it? The clarity is very sharp."

It was shot with the lens I shoot 90% of my stuff, Sigma 170-500mm. Gives great results with the right light as soon as it gets dark, well then of course it lacks a little......

Luis wrote:
"Vasco, did you upload that photo with that Copyright banner in that position? "

No, not really I resized it for faster loading and added the copyright, just in case!!!!

Vasco G.

joe pries

Thu Jan 10, 2002 6:40 am

Hey Vasco,
I am very impressed with your shot at full 500mm sigma lens- my old sigma f2.8 70-210 at full 210mm wasnt always as sharp as your 500mm. nice work.

Joe

Dazed767

I Know What You Mean

Thu Jan 10, 2002 8:52 am

I didn't expect this to come out, something I've been trying to get for awhile. I'm quite happy with it. I'm kinda worried that it will get rejected because I'm missing the tail.....
Justin

thomasphoto60

Thu Jan 10, 2002 9:14 am

First, I want to say to the Screeners and Johan....Please upload Justin and Vasco's pics..... both are simply stunning!

Like Vasco, I am not too attentive to reg #s, I too am more concered with light, composition and a unique angle. However, I am always paying close attention to what aircraft style and airline that I am photographing. I have had few suprises.

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

Thu Jan 10, 2002 9:37 am

I usually keep track of the date, airport and a few regs. Then I put them in a plastic bag together in the refrigerator until I get them developed. That way when I get them back from the developer, I know that every slide out of that bunch was shot at (for example) LAX on December 17, 2001. I can then stamp the correct date on the slides. So yes, I usually always know what I have shot.

Stephen

jderden777

RE: Surprise, Do U Always Know What You Have On Fi

Thu Jan 10, 2002 10:53 am

As well as being a photographer, i love flying as well and am working on my ppl...i love flying around with flight sims and i know pretty much everything that i shoot...because i've loved aviation ever since i was little i've picked up on the different aircraft types over the years...so i definitely know what i'm shooting...and if i don't, i shoot it anyway so i can look it up and find out what it is!!!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

jonathan d.
"my soul is in the sky" - shakespeare

ILS

Da Fwog

Thu Jan 10, 2002 12:30 pm

Click for large version

Photo © Chris Sheldon

Did you see the cool bird in the grass?

ILS

Thu Jan 10, 2002 12:30 pm

LOL  Big thumbs up Never mind!!

TGuse

Thu Jan 10, 2002 5:15 pm

Seems like the bird is a spotter, too!!! Big grin

Torben

Carlos Borda

Thu Jan 10, 2002 5:55 pm

Hope he had a ramp pass around his neck....  Big grin

~Los

Torben writes:

>>Seems like the bird is a spotter, too!!!

Torben>>

N509JB

The WTC Photo

Sun Jan 13, 2002 7:18 am

The only reason that pic was taken was because of the 9-11 events. The aircraft is, without a doubt, "too far in the distance" A great shot of a building, but not an airliner...Not saying I wouldnt have tried to pull that off myself  Big grin

B

chris28_17

Sun Jan 13, 2002 7:36 am

The only reason that pic was taken was because of the 9-11 events. The aircraft is, without a doubt, "too far in the distance" A great shot of a building, but not an airliner...Not saying I wouldnt have tried to pull that off myself

the picture B is referring to is this one:

Click for large version

Photo © Carlos Borda

Sorry i didnt respond till now, i had forgotten about this post... anyway, i've been thinking more about this, and this: "...and much to my surprise in the corner... I see an aircraft!" makes me laugh everytime i read it... there is now a link to "World Trade Center - South Tower 2" which, last time i checked, isn't an airliner.

Call me insensitive, i like the picture, I REALLY like the picture, but c'mon folks, my mouse arrow is bigger than the aircraft. Out of the 6882 current hits the picture has recieved, i would say 6250 of them wanted to see the building, 30 wanted to see the actual aircraft, and the other 602 wanted to try and figure out where the heck the airplane actually was in the picture. (recent poll by CNN i believe, so you know its accurate  Wink/being sarcastic )

i digress, in conclusion, nice picture, but i dont think it belongs. Nothing against carlos, hes a good photog and i like his stuff...

CHRIS

Carlos Borda

RE: The WTC Photo

Sun Jan 13, 2002 2:32 pm

Not always necessarily Brian.... "Too far in the distance" is not always a good reason for a photo not to be accepted on here, if the image depicted is more of an overall artistic aviation related type of impression rather than of the aircraft itself. I'll try and explain it....
The main subject in my photo is the WTC, true... but the fact that it shows an airliner flying above it's airspace (be it small) still makes it an "aviation image."

Here's a fine artistic example of what I mean... and this shot has been around before mine.

Click for large version

Photo © Lawrence Chiu

The airliner depicted in this image happens to be a big widebody A330, but you can hardly even tell what type it is because it's so small in the image. The main subject of this image however in not really the plane... it's the rain pouring down from that dark thunder cloud in the distance. But the fact that this photo contains an airliner in it (be it small) is what still makes it an "aviation image."

There's many other examples of this type of photography (small airliners in the image) around the site... just have to look around closely for them.

~Los

Brian writes:

>>The only reason that pic was taken was because of the 9-11 events. The aircraft is, without a doubt, "too far in the distance" A great shot of a building, but not an airliner...Not saying I wouldnt have tried to pull that off myself

B<<

Carlos Borda

Sun Jan 13, 2002 3:27 pm

In reality Chris.... "anything" belongs on this site as long as Johan Lundgren says it does. It's his site, his rules so that makes him the boss of all bosses on here... I just upload them and the decision as to whether they should be accepted to HIS database is left up to him and his great staff of screeners. At least until his site goes IPO and we all buy shares in it thus becoming shareholders with a vote.  Big grin

That particular shot was accepted by Johan himself personally... so I think it might be best to direct the question to him as to why he accepted it. I'm sure it's safe to say because it stood up to his guidelines of personal "overall" artistic aviation quality. Again... it's his site, his taste and his rules.

Now I'm not going to bullsh*t you... that shot obviously got accepted for the main reason being that it depicts the WTC, which just so happens to be the biggest world news story ever in recent times.
But the fact remains that the image shows an airliner in it.... and that's all it simply took for it to be considered "aviation related." (See my previous post for an explanation and example of this type of aviation photography)

I don't take anything wrong at all that you or anyone might have to say here about that image in regard to whether it belongs or not, really... because to me if an image becomes "thought provoking" then I really did my job as a photographer very well.
I have received very good email feedback from the viewers about that shot... people complimenting me on it since the day I uploaded it and in the process I've also been able to sell several 8x12 prints of it. I even made a good airport operations contact at a major airport because someone saw that shot. Again... I'm glad to hear you really enjoyed the shot, comments of any kind are always welcomed.

And BTW- there are links to airports and location on here where photos are shot from and those are not airliners either.
"World Trade Center - South Tower 2" is merely the location from where that image was taken.

~Los

>>Sorry i didnt respond till now, i had forgotten about this post... anyway, i've been thinking more about this, and this: "...and much to my surprise in the corner... I see an aircraft!" makes me laugh everytime i read it... there is now a link to "World Trade Center - South Tower 2" which, last time i checked, isn't an airliner.

Call me insensitive, i like the picture, I REALLY like the picture, but c'mon folks, my mouse arrow is bigger than the aircraft. Out of the 6882 current hits the picture has recieved, i would say 6250 of them wanted to see the building, 30 wanted to see the actual aircraft, and the other 602 wanted to try and figure out where the heck the airplane actually was in the picture. (recent poll by CNN i believe, so you know its accurate )

i digress, in conclusion, nice picture, but i dont think it belongs. Nothing against carlos, hes a good photog and i like his stuff...

CHRIS<<