usa4624

Recommendations For A New Slide Scanner?

Tue Jan 15, 2002 6:42 pm

I've decided to replace my failing HP Photosmart 1500 scanner (see previous threads) - what type of replacement slide scanner do y\'all recommend?

Staffan

RE: Recommendations For A New Slide Scanner?

Tue Jan 15, 2002 8:33 pm

Depends on how much money you want to spend, if you are on a tight budget, Minolta Dual II or HP S20 will give you good value for the money.
If you have more money to spend, Nikon and Canon have a few 4000dpi models (not sure about the names).
I use the Minolta, I'm very satisfied with it. In my profile there is a link to my photos on a.net, they were all scanned on this scanner.

Hope that helps

Staffan

sunilgupta

Wed Jan 16, 2002 3:54 am

I have the Minolta Scan Dual II and while it is a very good scanner for the money I am getting rid of it soon. There are three major issues:

1) No Digital ICE – I am sick and tired of meticulously cleaning slides and then still having to manually remove dust from the scanned image.

2) Noise – grrrr…. whrrr…click … pop… whrrr… grrrrr .. etc

3) Quality – Had to send it back for repair three times. First time because it would stop scanning for no reason, second & third times because the bulb blew. The first two were under warranty and the last one was on me ($90+). They won’t sell you the bulb so you have no choice.

So, onto eBay this scanner will go and in comes a Nikon Coolscan IV… it’s a Nikon, it’s under $1000 US ($900), it’s a Nikon, it has Digital ICE, it’s a Nikon, it has USB, it’s a Nikon, it does pretty fast scans, etc. oh, and did I mention that it’s a Nikon  Wink/being sarcastic

BTW, the Coolscan IV is 2900 dpi. You only need a 4000 dpi scanner if you are going to make large prints greater than 8x12.

Sunil

lewis

Wed Jan 16, 2002 6:51 am

I am also in your position. After a little research I decided to buy the Nikon Coolscan IV ED. It has ICE3 and 2,900dpi resolution. It is more expensive than Dual II and S20 but I think it is worth it. I am still putting money away in order to buy it in 2-4 months.

JT8D

Fri Jan 18, 2002 12:48 pm

I recently bought the Nikon Super Coolscan 4000 ED to scan several hundred family slides (many taken in the 60's) I checked out all of the major slide scanners in detail and spoke to some friends who use slide scanners professionaly and decided that the Nikon was the way to go. I've done a couple of hundred slides so far and I am amazed with the results. The Nikon software, Digital ICE and ROC, has completly fixed some of the damaged or faded slides. I have no regrets what so ever with the purchase.

I usually shoot digital pictures when I photograph airplanes, but this new scanner has made me reconsider and I have gone out and bought some Provia slide film because the quality of the images is so good.
Graham Hitchen, KMIA

ckw

Fri Jan 18, 2002 8:12 pm

As a Nikon 4000 ED user, I can endorse the quality of this scanner, but, I agree with Sunil that unless you plan to make huge prints, the Coolscan IV is plenty adequate - and uses exactly the same software.

Note that Canon has a new 4000 dpi scanner out - spec looks very good and the price significantly less than Nikon

Cheers,

Colin
Colin K. Work, Pixstel