PUnmuth@VIE
Topic Author

Digital / Scanned Slides Comparison

Thu Jan 31, 2002 6:13 am

Hi!
Just a few pictures that where taken standing next to each other for you to compare.
--

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Charles Falk

Click for large version

Photo © Peter Unmuth - Vienna Aviation Photography

--

Click for large version

Photo © Charles Falk

Click for large version

--

Click for large version

Photo © Charles Falk

Click for large version

--

Click for large version

Photo © Charles Falk

Click for large version

--

No judgement intented. Just some pictures to look at
Peter
-

gerardo

RE: Digital / Scanned Slides Comparison

Thu Jan 31, 2002 6:28 am

Different equipments -> different colors. Charles' pics look better to me in terms of colors. Why is that?

Gerardo
dominguez(dash)online(dot)ch ... Pushing the limits of my equipment

airways

Thu Jan 31, 2002 6:34 am

Peter,

Can we get some facts about the equipments you were using? Thanks!

Michael
http://airways.ch

Skymonster

Thu Jan 31, 2002 8:29 am

I raised this subject a few weeks ago with pictures of a British Airways 777 myself and Paul Dopson shot at Heathrow, and we had a previous topic on this from Gary/Andrew Hunts session in Singapore.

As with the previous topics, again its the difference in the colours that hit you immediately, and again I think I prefer the film based colours over the digital.

I too would be interested in knowing what camera was used for the digital (not so bothered about the 35mm!)

Andy
There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots

KingWide

Thu Jan 31, 2002 8:40 am

Since Peter's being a bit quiet, I think I can answer for him. The digital is a Nikon D1X.

When we were shooting together at Vienna we shot some stuff which is pretty similar and there's an even more interesting D1X and D30 comparison in the offing...

J
Jason Taperell - AirTeamImages

EGGD

Thu Jan 31, 2002 9:04 am

Are you sure he was using the D1X? Might'nt it have been the Coolpix 990, it does look like it..

PUnmuth@VIE
Topic Author

Thu Jan 31, 2002 2:11 pm

Good morning!
Mine where taken with the Coolpix 990. As for the "darkness". I think it has two reasons.
1.) In My opinion the Nikons are generally on the dark side
2.) I used spot metering on the aircraft on this hot and very sunny summerday which might add to the effect a little bit more.
Peter
-

5280AGL

Thu Jan 31, 2002 2:38 pm

The D30 and D1X are really not that good of a comparison, the D1X is far superior compared to the D30. I think the D30 and S1 are about dead equal in comparison, but I really like Fuji's colors better than Canon's, they just seem more film like to me. But as of right now, I think the D1X and D1H are the top guns.

--Chris--

AviationIvi

Thu Jan 31, 2002 5:02 pm

Click for large version

Photo © Ivica Ramljak - FRA Spotting

Click for large version

Photo © Kai-jens Meyer

Click for large version

Click for large version

Photo © Kai-jens Meyer

Kai´s pics were taken with a D30, mine with an EOS 50E

Click for large version

Click for large version

Photo © Konstantin von Wedelstaedt

Click for large version

Click for large version

Photo © Konstantin von Wedelstaedt

Konstantin has some more shots on a.net that we took that day. I tried to upload some more but still have some colour problems (always the same on cloudy days - they turn out too bluish)...

Regards,
Ivica

ckw

Thu Jan 31, 2002 5:36 pm

Personally I'd very much like to see comparison shots of the D1X and D30 - while on paper the Nikon is in a different league, it uses a different type of sensor and obviously the image processing will be different. While it's a given that the Nikon has more pixels, comparisons within the pixel count of the D30 would still be of interest.

Cheers,

Colin
Colin K. Work, Pixstel

KingWide

Thu Jan 31, 2002 7:33 pm

Colin,

Peter and I were shooting together at VIE and there are some very interesting comparisons to be made. I'll try to round up the shots from Peter and post them up here.

J
Jason Taperell - AirTeamImages

LGW

Fri Feb 01, 2002 1:44 am

to be honest I am not to impressed with the Nikon D1X. Looking at the spec and price I am very dissapointed. I think for the value and quality the D30 is in a league of its own..but we havent seen photos from the S2 now have we!

LGW

DSMav8r

Fri Feb 01, 2002 9:42 am

The D30 and D1X are two totally different cameras...The D30 is marketed towards "serious amateurs" and the D1X/H is a pure professional piece of equipment. Professional doesn't always mean better image quality, although in my opinion the D1 series produces higher quality images than the D30. --->

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond1h/page20.asp

The big difference is build quality, features, and SPEED. Which is why there is a significant difference in price...But with the D1H at $3,499 the D30 at $2,999, and the S1 at $2,795 the difference isn't that dramatic.

Aric Thalman
Omaha, NE
To most people, the sky is the limit. To those who love aviation, the sky is home

cfalk

Sun Feb 03, 2002 1:42 am

For your info, my shots were on Provia 100F. There are always tradeoffs with whatever medium you choose. One thing about slide film is that it has now become impossible to get a new c/s like Swiss on A-net as fast as anyone else, because it takes a few days to get them developed, at a minimum, and all you guys with digitals beat us to it!

I still play with what I do with my pics - each batch is treated a bit differently. I think I was rather heavy on the color saturation with those shots Peter listed. Even with close to 2000 pics on this database, I'm still constantly learning, making mistakes, trying new things.

It was great meeting Peter that day - unfortunately, I couldn't complete the day with him, as my dog died that day. But as George Carlin said, "Life is a series of dogs.". Here's Max, the puppy who replaced Buddy, who died that day (same breed).

How did I get to that subject ?

Cheers,

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

EGGD

Sun Feb 03, 2002 8:33 am

Aric, as far as the D1 being better than the D30 (and also the D1X being better), I have to dissagree. The price difference, at least where I am, is bigger than £1000, and as long as you take care of your camera, build quality should not matter. As for speed, (i assume you mean fps), that should not matter either, as I am sure that the only reason why a high fps was a plus for a slide collector because it enabled him to shoot many duplicates of one aircraft, etc. So really, for the price tag its not really worth it.

DSMav8r

Sun Feb 03, 2002 9:35 am

Well, regardless of opinion, I think the facts speak for themselves. I honestly don't know how anyone could argue that the D30 is a superior camera compared to the D1X/H, unless there was brand bias involved. These cameras are in totally different class ranges, the D30 competes with the S1 and the D1X/H competes with the EOS 1D. Regardless of image quality, just the features alone blow the D30 away, which is basically just a low-end consumer body that was converted to digital format. Yes, the D30 takes marvelous photos, but it is not better than what the D1X/H produces...There have been countless comparison tests done between this group and the D30 has never won.

Obviously build quality and speed is a major factor for a lot of people, otherwise manufacturers wouldn't even bother making such a camera, right? You put a D30 in a photojournalist's hands for a couple of weeks, you will see why those things are so important, the D30 could not handle the punishment put upon itself for those applications, whereas cameras like the D1X/H and EOS 1D can. As far as speed goes, the D30 is inferior in both fps rates and AF speed. Speed is important too, not just to slide collectors....Wildlife photographers, sports photographers, etc...all need the capability of a fast frame rate and a fast AF.

Build quality, speed, and features don't matter? Hmmmmmm.... I guess us gullible D1X/H owners were duped into buying something we don't really need!  Big grin
To most people, the sky is the limit. To those who love aviation, the sky is home