Jer32382
Topic Author

What's The Word On Atlanta And Miami?

Mon Feb 04, 2002 1:12 pm

I will be heading down to Naples, Florida for spring break at the end of March and I want to take a day and spot at Atlanta and Miami. Whats the word on these places. Will I get busted for spotting or no? If no, can ya give me some tips on good places to spot?

tpk

RE: What's The Word On Atlanta And Miami?

Mon Feb 04, 2002 1:40 pm

I was at ATL last weekend and didn't have any problems. I spent three days there and was only approached one time by a parking garage guard who told me that she didn't mind if I take photos, but that her manager says it's not allowed. When I told her I would be happy to speak to the manager, she said ok, but the manager never showed up. While inside, I wasn't bothered at all, and even was helped by a gate agent when I asked him when a certain aircraft was leaving so I could photograph it.

From outside, I recommend the north parking garage. From there, you can get good views of takeoffs or landings and if you are taking photos, you will be facing away from the sun.

Inside, there are windows all over where you may be able to catch good views. If you are taking pictures, the tint in the windows may affect your results. Delta is pretty active there, so an unoccupied gate will only stay that way for a short while. I found that for afternoon views of the International Concourse E, Concourse D is good because the non-Delta gates there seem to be not as heavily used. I spent quite a bit of time at a US Airways gate there. There are also windows down at the end of Concourses C and D from which you can view the runway.

I hope this helps. Have a great time on the trip.

Tim

tu154m

Mon Feb 04, 2002 3:03 pm

ATL has been no problem for the past couple of weeks. If you have a car there are numerous good places around the perimeter, depending on which runways are in use.
Steve
CEOs should swim with cement flippers!

Jer32382
Topic Author

Tue Feb 05, 2002 1:33 am

Thanks for the ATL info. Does anyone know about Miami?

Flyer732

Tue Feb 05, 2002 3:22 am

The holes along 9L/12 are open, but I'd be ready for some hassle.

jderden777

Tue Feb 05, 2002 5:14 am

about ATL...haven't been there since Dec. 28 2001...

MIA - i'm prepared to take any hassle that those cops dish out....i have a defense now  Smile/happy/getting dizzy i'll see you in may, boys!

jonathan d.
"my soul is in the sky" - shakespeare

5280AGL

Tue Feb 05, 2002 7:09 am

I recently talked to a guy who spent 2 days at MIA. He got hassled a least a couple of times each day. They tried the whole "its illegal" BS. But, he was able to get them to back off. He said all he had to do was show him a printout of an email exchange between he and airport operations.

Interesting ... I am just glad we are finally getting some ammo to work with. If I ever get approached again, I will know what to do. Then, I will just enjoy watching these guys making complete fools of themselves.

--Chris--

Dazed767

Tue Feb 05, 2002 7:22 am

MIA / FLL - FLL is back in business, just keep the ladder 10' away from the fence, and all is well.

MIA - The holes along rwy 12 are open, but most likely they will say something. have to be 6' away from the fence, 10' away, can't be near the fence etc. They are pretty nice about it, just don't act stupid about it.