ExitRow
Topic Author

Photo Of Entire Shuttle Fleet.

Fri Mar 01, 2002 6:04 pm

I am sitting here "burning the midnight oil" waiting to watch the Shuttle launch and remembered an old question I never had answered.

Has the (current) entire Space Shuttle fleet ever been photographed together? Have all the orbiters ever been in the same location at once? I would have suspected so during the lockdown after Challenger. I e-mailed the photo archives at Kennedy Space Center a few years ago with this question. They sent me a canned response and a (poorly done) montage image done in Photoshop.

Anyone know anything else?

Skymonster

RE: Photo Of Entire Shuttle Fleet.

Fri Mar 01, 2002 7:02 pm

All the current Orbiters were at KSC three weeks ago when I was there. They said that the situation was amost unique. Sadly, one was on the pad (the one due to launch around now) and the others were in the sheds, so no photographs of them together were possible.

A
There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots

PPGMD

Fri Mar 01, 2002 9:09 pm

I think the only time it could have been done is during the post challenger investigations. Current date and time one of the shuttles is almost always away on maintnece or such, though since the maintnece is now done at the Cape it is possible in the future though highly unlikely they would spend that much money for a photo.
At worst, you screw up and die.

PPGMD

Fri Mar 01, 2002 11:52 pm

So what did you think of the shuttle launch? I thought it looked good from where I was standing. None of my pictures came out, oh well, I did get this picture it came out fantasticly.

Thom@s

Sat Mar 02, 2002 12:21 am

But...you missed the shuttle.  Smile

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

PPGMD

Sat Mar 02, 2002 2:40 am

The shutter speed was too low for the shuttle it came out horribly. Anyways I think that looks even better, the next launch I'm going down to Titusville.

ExitRow
Topic Author

Sat Mar 02, 2002 5:30 am

Wow. I didn't think they'd go with such a low ceiling over the Return-To-Launch-Site. Spectacular photo though

(Anita Barrett-NASA via Reuters)

I missed the launch live. Fell asleep at T-Minus 53 minutes. It was nealy 2am PST!! Oh I wish they'd opened the launch facility at Vandenberg!

As for thr group photo, I agree that during the post-Challenger shutdown would have been the only feasible time to shoot such a photograph. But at the time I think they had more important issues to deal with.

ExitRow

PPGMD

Sat Mar 02, 2002 8:30 am

Got to love those sound activated cameras, great launch, but it looks like their coming home.