CactusA319
Topic Author

What's Wrong With These?

Thu Mar 07, 2002 7:58 am

Hi. I'm somewhat new to the upload process here. I currently have 5 photos in the database, 1 HQ and 4 others from years before the site upped its standards, so needless to say they are way below todays strict standards. Now I uploaded 16 photos about three weeks. These were scanned by a regular contributor to the database who has almost 400 photos in the database. So my chances of getting these shot accepted were good right? Wrong. All 16 didn't make the cut, the reasoning being that they were of "low quality".

So I retouched them and submitted 4 (I didn't feel like doing all of them in one sitting and then remembered the new queue rules so I left it at 4). Today 2 of those were screened and rejected.

What is wrong with these pictures that makes them "low quality" and what can I do to improve them?

Here they are:

http://www.airliners.net/procphotos/rejphoto.main?filename=Ba744ord.jpg

http://www.airliners.net/procphotos/rejphoto.main?filename=ac732ord.jpg

Thanks in advance for your help.

b757300

RE: What's Wrong With These?

Thu Mar 07, 2002 8:04 am

They appear too grainy to me.
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

H. Simpson

Thu Mar 07, 2002 8:17 am

also too red, try to reduce them

SafetyDude

Thu Mar 07, 2002 8:19 am

The744 does seem grainy and somewhat of a weird sky. In the 732, there is a weird reflection on the tail and on door 1L. Under the wing and on the grass you can tell it's too grainy. Hopes this helps and good luck!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
-Will
"She Flew For What We Stand For"

Dazed767

Thu Mar 07, 2002 8:32 am

NOW, if you would have only sent me the negatives, you wouldn't have that rejection problem.....  Big grin

ckw

Thu Mar 07, 2002 10:02 am

Yes definitely too grainy - it looks like this is due to the sharpening method used. You won't be able to fix this on these pics, you'll need to go back to the scanner output and try sharpening (use unsharp mask) again. There is alos a colour cast - though I would say more magenta than red - try shifting the colour balance of the midtones SLIGHTLY toward green.

Cheers,

Colin
Colin K. Work, Pixstel

fuairliner

Thu Mar 07, 2002 4:08 pm

If you sharpen the pictures I would exclude the sky. You can use Colin's sharpening tool. It is very helpful.

You also seem to have problems with the colours. In addition to what has already mentioned the white parts on the planes are far too grey/dark. As your shots are almost perfectly with the sun in your back I would expect the white fuselage to turn out much more white.

Kind regards,

Smile/happy/getting dizzy FUAirliner
(Frank Unterspann)
Frank Unterspann - Hamburg, Germany