AA 737-800
Topic Author

IAH Spotting

Sun Mar 24, 2002 6:13 am

I know this has been a well dicussed topic over the past couple of months, but I just wanted a few specifics if you all didn't mind.

My main question is how is security when it comes to taking photographs from inside the terminal? I'm flying out on Southwest and will have 2-3 hours in the terminal to photograph. Also, are there any good spots close to the terminals (within walking distance) that are good, but that the chance of being hasseled is close to zero.

Thanks for all your help.
Civil engineering isn't about making things perfect...just better.

exnonrev

RE: IAH Spotting

Sun Mar 24, 2002 1:11 pm

I'm not sure about in the terminals, but you won't have any problem from the parking garage rooftops. All are open except for Terminal A (due to construction, not security). They are easily accessible from the terminals and if you get tired of one rooftop, take the elevator to the train level and go back up to another one.

The Terminal C & D garages are heaven if you're a CO fan. From Terminal B (COEX & NW), you can see more Embraer Jungle Jets in one place than probably anywhere else in the world. Since the A rooftop is currently closed, The north side of B is a good place to catch the Euro heavies taxiing by on their way to 15L. (late afternoon)

HPD might ask a question or two, but they won't throw you out. We've picked up the reputation of being one of the most spotter/photo friendly airports in the US post-9/11.

thomasphoto60

RE:IAH Spotting

Mon Mar 25, 2002 9:37 am

Actually the roof of 'B' is off limits as well. I was on a COEX flight to CRP last week and before clearing security, I had some time to kill so I thought that I would head up to the roof and snap a few pics. However this was not to be as the roof is off limits for the same reason as 'A'....renovation.

The roofs of 'C and 'A/B' as Exonrev indicated are still very much open.

As for photographing from 'inside' the terminal, personally I have had no problems. However I would use some descretion and suffice it to say do not attempt to photograph the security checkpoints.

Enjoy your layover.

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

b757300

RE: RE:IAH Spotting

Mon Mar 25, 2002 9:59 am

I think I'll be making a trip to IAH next weekend but it all depends on the weather. I'm going to try and park myself on top of A/B.
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

AA 737-800
Topic Author

Mon Mar 25, 2002 10:56 am

Thanks for all your input so far, but I have one more quick question. How easy it is to get from the top of the garage at C to the Southwest gates?
Civil engineering isn't about making things perfect...just better.

thomasphoto60

Mon Mar 25, 2002 11:08 am

Just take the underground train! It takes about 8 minutes to get from A to C. The elevators are adjacent to the stations at all 4 terminals, press 'LL' when in the elevator.

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"