Alaskaairlines
Topic Author

How Do You Guys Store Everything?

Tue Apr 09, 2002 1:25 pm

Hello all!

I thought I would ask something new. How do you store all your slide, prints, digital photographs?

I shoot slide and I haven't been in the hobby long enough to start wondering about storing the slides yet.

Do any of you guys use those huge slide storages? I mean the ones that can hold 12,000 + slide with those nice and big drawers?

I know guys here that have tons of slide, guys like Joe, Mike, Charles, and lots more, just would like to know how everything is kept in order.

For those who shoot Kodachrome: I can't understand how in the world are you suppossed to find some particular slide if you store them in the Yellow Kodak boxes? Puzzles me..........

Also, you digital guys join in, You must have one HUGE computer if you store them on your hard drive!

Well lets hear it.......................

-Dmitry

rindt

RE: How Do You Guys Store Everything?

Tue Apr 09, 2002 1:56 pm

Quite easy Dmitry... just keep a database spreadshit of all slides you have, and which box they are in... then it becomes MUCH easier to find slides  Smile I list them by alphabetical order in 26 different sheets (A-Z).

-Rob

What other people think of you is none of your business!

Alaskaairlines
Topic Author

Tue Apr 09, 2002 2:23 pm

Rob, do you mean those plastic sheets that hold 20 slides per page? Well thats how mine are stored.

-Dmitry

rindt

Tue Apr 09, 2002 3:28 pm

Well, I've got multiple binders, with 25 of those "20 slide-per-page" sheets per binder, in other words 500 slides per binder. BUT, this is only where I keep my spare slides... I *try* to keep track of the amount of spares, so I know many I have left... but sometimes I get lazy and lose track.

Otherwise, my "collection slides" (which include those I've paid for, gotten through trade, and slides I have shot myself and reserved spares - for long term trading/auctioning, as slides only increase in value as they age). I prefer to look at selling of slides as recouping costs, than actually making money though...  Smile

-Rob

What other people think of you is none of your business!

Fly-K

Tue Apr 09, 2002 3:42 pm

I have them in the plastic sheets that Dmitry mentioned, sorted just like the jp airline fleets, and a huge spreadsheet with all the details. It's always a lot of work sorting them in, especially when adding a few hundreds. By now, the collection fills 10 binders.
All other slides (such as impression shots) are in boxes.

Konstantin
Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been...

yevgeny

Tue Apr 09, 2002 4:05 pm

Hi Dmitry
Digital images stored on the CD. Very risky to store all your photos on the Hard Driwe!

Yevgeny

Staffan

Tue Apr 09, 2002 7:19 pm

I put a number, for example "234-15" on the slide. 234 is the film number (which I also write on the box), and 15 is the slide number on that film. Then I enter all the info on a spreadsheet. This index number I also put in the filenames of my scanned slides.

So when I need to find a specific slide, I just go to the spreadsheet (where I can sort them by airline, aircraft, reg, date etc.) find the index number of the slide I want, then look up the box that it's in and then it's easy.

Staffan

cfalk

Tue Apr 09, 2002 11:56 pm

As of right now, I record the details of each shot in a database (I started in Access, but ended up on Excel - more flexible). I scan the better ones (maybe 5-10 slides out of 36) and store them by film number in binders, using those 20-slide sheets. Of the scanned ones, about half I will trash myself as not of upload quality, and the other half I'll send here. Every once and a while I will burn the raw scans that I made to CDs (I don't save the upload files, just the big scans).

I am considering whether I should scan the whole film every time, and archive to CD, one film per CD (works out to about 19.2 MB TIFF file per slide). As I have a 50-slide feeder, it's no effort.

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

skyliner

Wed Apr 10, 2002 2:24 am

I store the primary collection (15,000+ slides) in metal slide boxes (Logan #200) which hold 750 each, and the extras in 20-slide plastic sheets in binders. The metal boxes don't take up too much room, are very portable and have two advantages for long-term storage: they keep out light, and permit some air to circulate, which the plastic pages do not.
George

Alaskaairlines
Topic Author

Wed Apr 10, 2002 4:04 am

Thanks guys! I'll have to stick to the slide sheet deal for now.

-Dmitry

EWRvirgin

Wed Apr 10, 2002 7:11 am

The spreadsheet is a good idea even for images store on CD-ROM.

BTW, what's a "spreadshit."  Wink/being sarcastic

lanpie

Thu Apr 11, 2002 5:26 am

For storage I use special metal boxes for slides, they come in different size. I also use rotary slide trays and the plastic and yellow boxes for slides. In the past I used plastic sheets. Unfortunately I noticed, the plastic stuck to the slide and when I tried to get the slide out it left mark on it.

I use excel to keep track of my slides and photos when they are scanned and accepted I put them on a CD.

Regards,

Pierre