yegpix
Topic Author

Use Of Photo Request. Help Please

Fri Apr 12, 2002 1:57 pm

I got this E-mail today requesting to use one of my photos. He wants to use it on his company website as a database photo. What do you guys think, should I let him use it for free just having me as credit for the pic or should I charge him for it or what? Here is the E-mail and the picture in question. Thanks for your responses . Kevin

Dear Mr. Wachter: I'm writing to ask for permission to use your photo off of Airliners.net. It will be used as a file photo on my company's website. Thank you for your consideration, if you do decide to grant permission, please send me a copy that is not watermarked from Airliners. The photo is of a 727 parked on snow in twilight. Thank you again for your time.

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Kevin Wachter

Alaskaairlines

RE: Use Of Photo Request. Help Please

Fri Apr 12, 2002 3:07 pm

You should charge him! Because if you don't.........next time he will look for a free one, and will not pay to get one. That just spoils all the buyers! Charge him $100 - $200.

-Dmitry

ckw

Fri Apr 12, 2002 6:07 pm

Be careful with this one - he says he wants it as a "file photo". Now to my mind a file photo is an image you hold in stock for a vareity of possible future uses - could be a web site image, or the cover of an annual report or advertising campaign.

Yes, you should charge, but I think you need to clarify exactly what use is inteneded - a one off website use is one thing, the rights for unlimited reproduction is another!

Cheers,

Colin
Colin K. Work, Pixstel

skyliner

Sat Apr 13, 2002 9:09 am

Whatever you decide about payment, be sure to clarify and limit the rights to usage. It would be best to do this first, if possible; the outcome may indicate whether there should be a charge or not.
George

yegpix
Topic Author

Thanks For Your Feedback Guys!

Sat Apr 13, 2002 3:12 pm

Thanks guys, I emailed him back today and asked a few questions about how it would be used and I asked him to send me a link to their website, what they would offer me in return,etc. I haven't heard back yet so I suspect they were just looking for a freebee! Thanks again for your reply's guys. Hey, that rhymes. LOL

Kevin

Alaskaairlines

RE: Thanks For Your Feedback Guys!

Sat Apr 13, 2002 4:46 pm

Good luck! Let us know if anything turns out, it would be interesting to hear.

-Dmitry