mirage

History Of Planespotting

Wed Apr 24, 2002 6:36 am

Hello,

Does somebody know when planespotting was born and why or have some links on the web that I can search. All the searches I made give me sites of photography around airports but this time I need a little history.

many thanks
Luis
P.S. I need this for a writing I'm trying to do

LOT767-300ER

RE: History Of Planespotting

Wed Apr 24, 2002 10:12 am

Planespotting was born when some guy took pictures of the Flyer I flight at kitty hawk.....first powered flight...hence spotting exists as long as aviation itself.....

Wed Apr 24, 2002 10:52 am

Actually I read somewhere a while ago that plane spotting was a branch off from train spotting which started in England.

H. Simpson

Wed Apr 24, 2002 11:16 am

umm...train spotting...never heard of it before, but i think it's just like plane spotting

at least i knew there is bus spotting in Hong Kong! Big grin

Tcas

Wed Apr 24, 2002 11:43 am

Bus spotting. HAHAHA.  Big thumbs up

mirage

Wed Apr 24, 2002 9:10 pm

LOT767-300ER,

Planespotting is not the same as aviation photography. Aviation photography is as old as the first flight but planespotting is not only photography.

The pure planespotting is to take notes of all movements you see on paper, not photography. I think this hobby was born in the UK around 2º WW but would like to have more details.

Luis

dstc47

Fri Apr 26, 2002 4:03 am

It is certainly around since the 1920's / 1930's.
One enthusiast from near me, recently gone to the great threshold in the sky, began in the late 1920's as a child.

In the UK, the Observer Corps, a civilian volunteer adjunct to the RAF probably gave it something of a boost.

Post war the publication by Ian Allen of "ABC" guides of fleet lists and reg numbers began in the 1950's, making it easier to know what was missed.

And yes ABC guides to trains (and to buses?) predated those for aircraft.

flpuck6

Fri Apr 26, 2002 4:50 am

I remember reading planespotting took after train spotting. I think it was in an article promoting spotting at IAH (there is a thread in the archives on this).

There have been jokes that people do ramp vehicle spotting lol. Big grin
Bonjour Chef!

Fri Apr 26, 2002 5:13 am

I have a friend who won't take a slide of an airplane unless there is a van in shot somewhere.  Big thumbs up (its an inside joke)

mirage

Fri Apr 26, 2002 6:50 am

Thanks Dstc47, good help.

Luis
P.S. and theres's also bird spotting

LOT767-300ER

Fri Apr 26, 2002 10:21 am

Mirage,

Yea i do understand that, but the people that were at kitty hawk were technically the first spotters....

LHRSIMON

Wed May 01, 2002 2:07 am

I class planespotting as the taking of aircraft numbers to log into a book,not taking photo's , so here goes.I think this is correct. Plane spotting indeed started in England. I also agree that its an offshot of trainspotting that started in England about the 1920's .This was mainly due to the peoples love of Steam engines. It was not an uncommon sight to have hundreds of people trainspotting on one station in the 50's.

In the 60's - 70's most of the trains started to change to diesel rather than steam and the hobby of train spotting became less popular. Many of the people then turned their attention to those funny things flying in the sky and the hobby of plane spotting become more popular.

I don't know how it spread to other countries like Holland but i guess that's another story.

By the way here in the UK people will spot anything. Buses,trains,planes,birds and wildlife,trams the list goes on.

What's the saying "Mad dogs and Englishman go out in the mid day sun."

Simon
Canon 1D Mk III,Canon 20D+17-40 L f4.0,70-200 L IS USM f2.8,400 L USM f5.6,135 mm L f2.0, 50 mm f1.8,1.4 x II extender

Lindy

Wed May 01, 2002 2:29 am

Actualy Planespotting started in England during Second World War. Before the war, people were watching airplanes (like now you go to the airports and you have families with kids watching airplanes but they dont know the difference between 727 and 737).
The real "planespotting" like I said before started in England. They were civils watching aircrafts flying from the Channel Lamaunche (sp?). They had charts how each aircraft looks like and they were writting down what kind of aircraft just crossed Britain's border. Right away they were sending telegraphs to RAF bases what just flown over their heads. So RAF could prepare in advance to meet enemy forces in the air. After the war, people continued watching planes and writing down registration numbers.
It didnt start in Kitty Hawk (first flight was in Ohio anyway not in North Carolina), it didnt start in 20's but it started during II World War.

Thats the official story about "history of planespotting"

Rafal
BWIADCA - Nikon D100