NB: Request From The Screeners

Sat May 04, 2002 4:00 am

Hi all

As you may have noticed, the website is currently experiencing a technical problem with adding new photos to the database. As webmaster Johan is away enjoying a well-deserved break at the moment, the screeners have decided to halt photo additions for two days.

As a result of this, the potential for a logjam to develop in the uploads queue is quite high, so the screeners are asking for your co-operation by requesting that you hold back on your new uploads for five days (i.e. until Wednesday May 8) so as to give them a chance to clear the backlog after Johan returns.

No-one wins if we let the uploads queue get too long - you end up waiting a long time for your uploads to be processed, the screeners get overloaded, and overloading can lead to snap decisions, especially on the borderline ones (trust me, I'm a corrections editor - 30,000+ correction submissions so far this year ...).
So, let's all give ourselves a break, and temporarily hold back on those uploads. Things will be back to normal by this time next week, at the latest.

If you have any specific queries in this regard, please feel free to contact me via email. Please note, however, that I am not a screener myself, so I am not able to answer questions like "what's happened to my uploads?" ... I don't have access to that part of the website admin, so unfortunately I cannot help there.

Thanks for your understanding & co-operation.

Regards
Andrew Davies (Southflite)
Corrections Editor
andrew@airliners.net

mirage

RE: NB: Request From The Screeners

Sat May 04, 2002 5:01 am

No problem, as usual I upload about 15 photos and wait until all of them are processed to upload the next batch.

Luis

dragon-wings

Sat May 04, 2002 10:18 am

thanks  Smile/happy/getting dizzy I did not know about the technical problem.
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

Bruce

Sat May 04, 2002 12:26 pm

How about re-uploads of those already in the database? Do they get the same treatment or does someone else work on those?

I have a lot to send in......

bruce
Bruce Leibowitz - Jackson, MS (KJAN) - Canon 50D/100-400L IS lens

Bruce : Re. Re-uploads

Sat May 04, 2002 6:08 pm

Hi Bruce

The re-uploads are on a separate system to the normal uploads, and as far as I know only Johan deals with those. So there shouldn't be any problem with sending those in now.

Andrew

PUnmuth@VIE

Sat May 04, 2002 6:48 pm

But wouldnt it be a fine idea to keep the workload on the system as low as possible to avoid possible further problems??
Peter
-

Tonimr

Sat May 04, 2002 8:32 pm

OK:

I'l hold...

Toni
There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'.