Fly-K
Topic Author

Selling Photos Of Crashed Aircraft

Wed Jul 03, 2002 10:19 pm

All day long yesterday I had the only photo of the exact Bashkirian TU154 that was involved in the tragic midair here at a.net.
I thought a.net was so well-known that I would get many requests for usage.
Then my conflict would have been if it's OK to sell the photo and make money from the tragedy of others. But to my surprise I didn't get any request...
What would you have done, selling it actively, giving it for free?

Konstantin
Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been...

Staffan

RE: Selling Photos Of Crashed Aircraft

Thu Jul 04, 2002 3:21 am

Why not sell it and donate the money to someone who needs it? Would have been a nice gesture I think.

Staffan

Aer Lingus

Thu Jul 04, 2002 4:07 am

I have often considered that scenario myself and have had the same reaction but just think, what about all those press photographers who take very distressing images yet sell them to news agencies and make a packet full money out of it.
Well imagine what that photographer You also have to think........"well its an aeroplane, nothing wrong with selling a pic of an aeroplane". So its a picture of the downed Tupolev but there's nothing exactly morally worng about it. Eventually its entirely up to. Just do what you think is acceptable.

Cheers,
Martin

Dazed767

Thu Jul 04, 2002 4:07 am

Donate the money....no comment there (yes I'm a greedy bastard).

Just wait around, someone may buy it (considering it was the only one in the DB, don't give it for free).

EGFF

Thu Jul 04, 2002 5:58 am

If it was me, im with these guys ... i would forward the money to a kids charity, you'd be the better person at the end of the day...
EGFF
All together or not at all

jwenting

Thu Jul 04, 2002 8:36 pm

I see no problem selling photos of a crashed aircraft. What would you do if it crashed after the sale???

Photos of the crash itself may be something different, but if not you someone else WILL sell them.
If you feel bad about it, indeed donate the money (minus your cost, possibly) to a worthy charity.
I wish I were flying

lewis

Thu Jul 04, 2002 10:02 pm

I have a whole roll of photos of an ambulance helicopter that crashed two weeks ago in Greece but I cannot sell them or upload them 1) for moral reasons 2)My father actually took the photos because he is the president of the committee that does the investigation of the accident. Oh well...

Gonzago

Tue Jul 09, 2002 8:48 am

Funny how you mention that crash in Greece. Just today someone was printing up photos of the crash in my office. I work for Pratt & Whitney Canada... and that's all I have to say.  Big grin

Dazed767

Tue Jul 09, 2002 9:35 am

You would not upload them for moral reasons? What's so wrong about uploading a pic of such nature?

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Ihsen Mejri

2912n

Tue Jul 09, 2002 10:01 am

There is nothing wrong with selling photos of a crash. But there are limitations. Common sense/decency would keep you from selling or distributing photos of victims (ie...bodies, parts of bodies etc...) If the motive is to inform then selling the photos is fine. If the intent is to shock I think those persons who want to shock others should be forced to watch an autopsy of one of their own family members.