Bruce
Topic Author

Delta "Insider" Photos

Thu Jul 04, 2002 1:15 am

Just wanted to say "great job" to those "insiders" at DL & ATL who always give us these awesome shots....Tommy, Jonathan, Gregg...and the others, y'all know who you are!!

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jonathan Derden

View Large View Medium

Photo © Gregg Stansbery

View Large View Medium

Photo © Tommy Simms

View Large View Medium

Photo © Gregg Stansbery

View Large View Medium

Photo © PeachAir

Delta's old ad slogan used to be "We love to fly and it shows"....so true, so true!!!!

We don't see nearly as many "insider" & ramp shots from the boys at UA, AA, Northwest, or many others. There are a bunch of SW ramp shots but nothing beats the DL TOC shots!! Keep up the great work!!!

bruce
Bruce Leibowitz - Jackson, MS (KJAN) - Canon 50D/100-400L IS lens

jderden777

RE: Delta "Insider" Photos

Thu Jul 04, 2002 1:57 am

Bruce,
i'm no insider at ATL...i don't work for Delta or anything, but i would really love to work there...i just got lucky one day, and Tommy said he would help us out! the guys down there are awesome....Tommy and Gregg are truly great people...i want to see some of Tommy's shots from DFW soon as well... Smile

thanks for the compliments though! i'll keep uploading more of the shots from that day...

jonathan d.
"my soul is in the sky" - shakespeare

TommyS

Thu Jul 04, 2002 2:54 am

Awww shucks. Embarrassment I have to say that if it wasn't for Gregg (Grassy Knoll Dude)Stansbery I probably would have never re-discovered this hobby. He is the one that turned me on to this website. I didn't think there was anyone out there that was weird enough (like me) to just sit around all day taking pictures of airplanes. Gregg is a photog freak. You guys should see some of the stuff he has in his albums. I mean he has been doing this for forever. He's got pictures that he took of the Wright flyer on it's maiden voyage (Just kidding, he's not really THAT old!). Sorry Gregg.

Anyway, Bruce thanks for the compliments. I will be thinking of you the next time I get over the Huntsville area. I'll see what I can do about your overhead shot. (Guys, Bruce needs an overhead view of the Huntsville, Alabama.)

Then there's Jonathan. Well, what a class act. He was like a kid in the candy store. I think this guy shot like 40 rolls of film that day. He and Jonathan Birdwell LOVE aviation!

Happy Shooting,
TommyS <------No, not a pilot
ATL

flpuck6

Thu Jul 04, 2002 3:05 am

I'm jealous! LOL.

I haven't had the pleasure of meeting/talking with Gregg, but I have with Jonathan and TommyS...it's always a pleasure when fellow spotters are just as nice and welcoming!

-Chris
Bonjour Chef!

jderden777

Thu Jul 04, 2002 5:03 am

Tommy,
only 10 rolls my friend  Wink/being sarcastic...i could've shot more, but i wanted to leave somewhat a good amount of film for the rest of the summer...hehe...and as far as loving aviation, what else is there?  Big thumbs up it was a great day, to say the least.. thanks a lot!!!! now, let's see some of your stuff from DFW, tommy! by the way, we still gotta hook you up with Jeff Gibbons...see about that house...

take care!
jonathan d.
"my soul is in the sky" - shakespeare

Bruce
Topic Author

RE: Insiders

Thu Jul 04, 2002 6:06 am

10 rolls of film??? You need a digital cam my friend..........

Atlanta certainly has enough traffic to support all those photographers shooting away....and lots of plane lovers! I thought people would think I was wieird standing on the roof of the garage taking pics, but even the MARTA guy was there with his scanner and planespotting guide, trying to learn what kinds of jets they all were!

ATL really needs an "official" observation area. I guarantee if they built one it would always be occupied....

I guess with the big holiday tommorrow (and security threats) it's not a good idea to stand on the roof of the garage taking pics....Lets just hope this weekend is safe for everyone who flies. After this week's crash and drunk pilots we don't need more bad news.

Bruce Leibowitz - Jackson, MS (KJAN) - Canon 50D/100-400L IS lens

EGGD

Thu Jul 04, 2002 7:00 am

On behalf of Europe, I would like to thank Florian Kondziela:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Florian Kondziela
View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

The last picture... I've seen that aircraft at AMS when leaving... and its amazing how it looks in the hanger, and amazing to think that thing flies at 7 miles above the ground, and nearly at the speed of sound.

Who cares if he doesn't actually work there?!?!

Steve Hall:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Steve Hall
View Large View Medium

Photo © Steve Hall

View Large View Medium

Photo © Steve Hall
View Large View Medium

Photo © Steve Hall

And more, but I can't be bothered to search

Dan  Smile

Flyer732

Thu Jul 04, 2002 2:03 pm

Only problem with ATL is if you actually spot this place, it gets boring real quick with nothing but MD-80s and DC-9s coming in until you get 2 hours of 767s and 777s then its back to MD-80s. I've been spotting this place since 97...still hasn't changed...and I love it.

I'm a sick sick puppy
Ryan Gaddis