BO__einG
Topic Author

Need Advice For These Rejections.

Sun Jul 14, 2002 4:17 am

Hey guys,

Lately I have been having some trouble getting these photos accepted.
They were rejected a few times even though I uploaded them re-edited.

1. http://airliners.net/procphotos/rejphoto.main?filename=JuneG80024.jpg
A screener claims that there is still noise in the shadow areas. Odd, I don't see it.

2. http://airliners.net/procphotos/rejphoto.main?filename=JuneG80095.jpg
Blurry rejection.

3. http://airliners.net/procphotos/rejphoto.main?filename=JuneG80089.jpg
Blurry Rejection.

4. http://airliners.net/procphotos/rejphoto.main?filename=JuneG80073.jpg Blurry rejection.

5. http://airliners.net/procphotos/rejphoto.main?filename=JuneG80065.jpg
Again blurry rejection. I sharpened this 6 times!! (using the unsharp mask)

I would like some feedback on these 5 photos.
They were all taken on the day of the G8, which means Security was tight and I was limited to how close I could get to the planes.

Bo
Follow @kimbo_snaps on Instagram or bokimon- on Flickr to see more pics of me and my travels.

wietse

RE: Need Advice For These Rejections.

Sun Jul 14, 2002 4:22 am

1. sorry, there is noise on the cargo door and several other areas
2. Something strange here, look at the titles, not sharp by far, kinda blotchy
3. Same, looks kinda overexposed
4. Don't see blur, but noise in the shadow under the wing
5. Sharpening it six times doesn't guarantee sharpness. It looks sorta overexposed as well, either with the cam, or the slidescanner.

Wietse
Wietse de Graaf

Shawn Patrick

Sun Jul 14, 2002 4:24 am

There is clearly noise in the shadow areas, and this is a very bad angle. The only other thing you might try is up the contrast a little bit to get rid of some of the noise in the shadow areas... however you might lose some detail there as well. If that doesn't work, then I'd say it didn't make it because of a bad angle.

Shawn Patrick

Sun Jul 14, 2002 4:27 am

oops I was referring to #1

BO__einG
Topic Author

Sun Jul 14, 2002 6:45 am

Alright, I guess some of my picts can use some more sharpening.

With the helicopter in the first one, I honestly do not see any signs of noise.
I guess having my monitor fixed at 1600x1280 hides the noise in the shadow areas.
Anyways, I will see what I can do and upload again. If all fails then I will scrap these and move on.

Bo
Follow @kimbo_snaps on Instagram or bokimon- on Flickr to see more pics of me and my travels.

Shawn Patrick

Sun Jul 14, 2002 7:21 am

Don't worry just keep shooting and you'll eventually learn from your mistakes and then you'll be able to see some of your photos here. I'm learning too.

My main problems are cutting off the landing gear (nose shots), getting window reflections (keep forgetting the polarizer), and having pictures blurry because I always forget to close down the aperture as much as I can to forgive some of my focusing errors and to try to sharpen things up.

Also, Johan absolutely loves sunset pictures (hint hint). My only picture here so far is a sunset picture, and of the 10 pics I just submitted, 9 were rejected right off the bat, but the 10th one is a sunset picture and it's still in the system. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Best of luck to you

-Shawn

chazzerguy

Sun Jul 14, 2002 8:03 am

Bo-

I see shadow noise in all but the last one... And like the others are saying, #1 does have a good bit by that rear door.

Have you tried downloading the monitor calibration program?... It might be you just don't have your monitor contrast calibrated quite right... My monitor, like yours, is set to 1600, but it's not hiding that noise one iota... Quite the contrary...

-Chazzerguy

BO__einG
Topic Author

Sun Jul 14, 2002 9:24 am

Here is the revised picture of the first rejection.

http://genji.image.pbase.com/u12/bokimon/upload/3084826.JuneG80024.jpg
Hopefully the page will open up.
I tinkered around with the curves around the shadow area to help get rid of the excess noise.

I also downloaded the calibration program, my monitor is kinda incompatible with it. For the Brightness/contrast, the highest level of brightness and contrast my monitor can do isn't good enough to meet what the program requires.

Bo

BO__einG
Topic Author

Sun Jul 14, 2002 9:28 am

http://www.pbase.com/bokimon/people_pictures

Boo!
How about this, the previous link did not work.
This will take you to the photo gallery, there you should be able to see the thumbnail of my picture, click that and it opens up a large version.

Bo

EGGD

Sun Jul 14, 2002 10:05 am

Bo you not the guy from Ericsemotions.com are you?  Laugh out loud

chazzerguy

Sun Jul 14, 2002 11:11 am

Bo-

I still see a lot of noise in that image as well... Not sure what to tellya about how to fix it. It looks a little better than your first try, but frankly, not much...

BO__einG
Topic Author

Sun Jul 14, 2002 2:52 pm

Alright, I guess it is the best I can do Chazzer. If I darken it more than that, the picture will start to get a little ugly. Maybe I will rescan it in the future and see how that goes.

Dan: hehe no way! And THAT is what the address is eh,, (been pondering that fer a while now)
I visited that site a long time ago and saved some of the funniest faces that he made. Big grin Such as that Road Rage example.

bo

planeboy

Sun Jul 14, 2002 4:16 pm

Yo Bo,

Last week I submitted 7 photos. A few days later - I checked and they were all in the high quality section. Guess what ? All but one rejected. Funny thing - the one that made it was the one I thought had the least chance. I guess this one made it on being unique.

Guess it's time to buy a new camera...

Oh well, can't afford it at the moment.

I think it will only be more difficult to have pics accepted here - a sudden surge in high-end digital cameras and great photos by those using them making it difficult for the screeners to see anything less.....

chazzerguy

Sun Jul 14, 2002 8:44 pm

Funny you say that Planeboy... I shoot digital, and when I first started submitting photos and getting rejections I was convinced there was an anti-digital bias.

I know better now though. The standards are tough, but I think it's just a matter of figuring out a handful of tricks and tweaks, and before you know it your acceptance rate will go up...

fuairliner

Sun Jul 14, 2002 10:19 pm

Bo,

you might want to use some kind of blur tool in order to reduce the noise. If you apply it very carefully there might be an improvement (only works on plain areas).

#2 and #3: especially the titles are not sharp, but the other parts need some sharpening, too
#4: the picture looks soft, especially the top of the fuselage
#5: heat distorsion

Instead of applying the unsharp mask six times I would rather redo the previous action and use higher values the next time.

Frank
Frank Unterspann - Hamburg, Germany