rolo987

Removing Window Glare?

Wed Jul 17, 2002 8:17 am

I have a few pictures from my last vacation that I wanted to upload. The problem is, on a few of them there is window glare. Is there a tool on Photoshop that can fix this or is there no way to remove it at all?

ckw

RE: Removing Window Glare?

Wed Jul 17, 2002 8:20 am

There's no tool specifically for this purpose, but very careful use of the clone brush might work in some cases - but if the glare is extensive, it is likely that your retouching will look worse than the original glare.

Cheers,

Colin
Colin K. Work, Pixstel

rolo987

Wed Jul 17, 2002 9:14 pm

If there really is no way to remove it, then how do you take pictures from the terminal without getting that window glare?

cfalk

Wed Jul 17, 2002 9:23 pm

Rolo987,

The best solution is to not take pictures through windows. I'm not joking. If there is only a small part of the picture that is affected, a little cloning work might do the trick, as Colin said, but for the most part, forget it.

Charles

The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

ckw

Wed Jul 17, 2002 9:46 pm

If taking shots through glass can't be avoided ...

1 - get as close to the glass as possible. Ideally, use a lens hood and have it right up against the glass.

2 - make sure you are at right angles to the glass

3 - try using a jacket or similar to make a hood around your head and camera - sure people will look at you strangely, but, hey, if you're a photographer/spotter you'd best get used to it!  Smile

Cheers,

Colin
Colin K. Work, Pixstel

lewis

Fri Jul 19, 2002 10:03 pm

Won't a polariser help?

cfalk

Sat Jul 20, 2002 2:25 am

Yes, a linear polarizor will certainly help, at a cost of about 2 stops, and a little extra time taken setting up your shot, as you have to align the filter.

But the ideal is still to find someplace where you can shoot without glass in front of you.

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

hkg_clk

Mon Jul 22, 2002 6:36 am

Besides getting as close as possible to the glass, you should try to stand in a position such that you've got a blank wall/piller etc behind you which will create less reflections on the glass.
See my homepage for a comprehensive guide to spotting and photography at HKG

brianhames

Mon Jul 22, 2002 11:19 am

Yes, next time, ask the captain to turn the plane around so you can get the side of the airplane with no sun coming in the windows...

Or you could get a lens hood, those help.

Mark2102

Fri Jul 26, 2002 9:21 am

I had that same problem when I take pics through a terminal window. This same thing happened to me a few weeks ago at EWR while taking a picture of the plane I was flying. It was early in the morning when there is that horrible sunglare and it was right on the side where it made it impossible to take a picture. So i kneeled down so I would not get my own reflection through the glass and I positioned my camera close to the window and angled it so the glare was in the sky. I used the monitor on my camera to see where the glare is. It was not one of my best pictures though. I agree with everyone who says it is best to take pictures without glass.

Mark

serge

Fri Jul 26, 2002 9:49 am

Rolo987: Would you be able to show us the photos? Or me (cessnapilot88@hotmail.com)? It would help to see if its removable..

regards,
Serge  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

rolo987

Sat Jul 27, 2002 12:56 am

I will post them on here sometime this weekend or early next week.

Alex

BA

Sat Jul 27, 2002 1:27 am

Like everyone has been saying. The only tool that would work is the Clone Tool. However that is even limited. It will only work to a certain extent.

If the glare is small, then you'll probably be able to get rid of it. If it's large, then you'll be spending too much time removing it, plus people will be able to tell that you edited that area because it's large.

Glare is difficult. Basically you're going to have to stick with it. If it's small, you might get away with it by using the Clone Tool.

Paint Shop Pro 7 has a Scratch Removal Tool which I found to work excelent not only on scratches, but removing dust, and other particles.

It might POSSIBLY work decently on glare. I am not too sure though.

I'm not sure PhotoShop has the Scratch Removal Tool. You might want to look into it.

If it doesn't, then download the 30-day trial of Paint Shop Pro and try it out.

Good luck.

Regards
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

rolo987

Mon Jul 29, 2002 6:00 am

mirage

Mon Jul 29, 2002 6:12 am

You can't be serious, do you expect that photo to be accepted here?

Luis

BA777

Mon Jul 29, 2002 6:07 pm

Im sorry, but theres a whole list of things that i can see in that pic that seriously hurts its chances  Sad

BA777

PUnmuth@VIE

Mon Jul 29, 2002 6:35 pm

Rejection reasons: badangle, badmotiv, badcentered and badscan.
See te line running through the sky from left to right? If you should have more of those please check them for being leveled, the plane not being obstructed by gates, fences or any other awul looking stuff. And for a beginner it would be much easier to get photos in a acceptable quality if you take them with the sun in your back. So check your possible uploads for those issues and upload them only if they meet the criteria, this would help the Q and also the speed of the screening process.
peter
-

rolo987

Tue Jul 30, 2002 10:34 pm

But what about this picture?

http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/big/ready/P1010017.JPG

Really, the only major problem is window glare.

Alex

Fly-K

Wed Jul 31, 2002 12:24 am

I've had a few photos rejected recently for window glare. Problem is, under these conditions (aircraft taking off) I had little time to take measures against the window reflections - maybe the rule shouldn't be so strict in this case.

http://airliners.net/procphotos/rejphoto.main?filename=IST_takeoff_150702_4.jpg

http://airliners.net/procphotos/rejphoto.main?filename=IST_takeoff_150702_3.jpg

Konstantin
Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been...

andrewmorrell

Wed Jul 31, 2002 1:03 am

There's a really great graph on the "Add Photos" page that is an acceptance matrix. It shows your chances of getting any particular photograph accepted based on the major criteria which distills the ANet mission.

I don't think that there's a single point of failure here. Yes window glare is an issue, but there are other issues at work as well, including all of the things mentioned above by Peter.

What kind of equipment are you using? Are you doing *any* digital enhancement?

andrew
Go Blue!!!

TomH

Wed Jul 31, 2002 1:27 am

There are multiple problems here, even in the later images. I'll stick to the glare problem. If you are shooting through glass, in addition to the good tips already given, you should ensure that you are wearing dark clothes. If you have light-colored hair, or like myself, a distinct lack of it, you should wear a dark hat too.

Next time you shoot through glass, if you see indistinct glare, move your body around. If the glare changes or moves, then you are the source of the glare-wear darker clothes. Also, when in the terminal, don't position yourself with a bright wall to your rear, and avoid the lights from restaurants and newsstands.

Now, I know Colin is very well experienced, but even if he sent one to me for free, you won't see me with a dark hood around my head and camera at ANY airport these days. Though technically, it sounds like the best idea of all.

That 150702_4 takeoff shot-maybe if it was taken on a better day, with less smog and haze.

Keep shooting!