airplanetire

Point-and-shoot For Airplane Photography?

Fri Jul 19, 2002 6:54 am

My birthday is coming up in the next few months and I was interested in buying a camera. I would want to use it for both airplane picture taking and for just other picture taking. I want to get a point and shoot. My reasons are that for one, I don't want to carry a big clunky camera around. The other is that I can't afford to get the kind of camera one would normally use for photographing airplanes. Would a point and shoot with a zoom take good, clear pictures, of high enough quality to be accepted to Airliners.net? If so, what kind of film would you suggest using in order to get limited grainyness, but to still get the movement without tons of blur? Take into account that I don't want to use slide film because I don't want to buy a slide scanner and I'd like to have the prints. What model of camera should I get? Thanks so much!

wietse

RE: Point-and-shoot For Airplane Photography?

Fri Jul 19, 2002 6:57 am

I highly doubt it... some have succeeded in getting some pictures taken with a point and shoot, but the quality isn't there....

The light metering, quality of the lens etc... are just not good enough to give that extra punch needed for A.net. If you do decide to go for a point and shoot, don't take APS, thats crappy film.

Wietse
Wietse de Graaf

airplanetire

Fri Jul 19, 2002 7:02 am

What is APS? If you can't already tell, I'm highly inexperienced in photography. Thank you.

wietse

Fri Jul 19, 2002 7:13 am

You have 2 options with nowadays point and shoot cameras. Normal 35 mm film (probably the one u know best) and APS (Advanced Photo System). The latter has a smaller area where the image is formed, thus less information is being stored, resulting in a bad (relatively) image.

Wietse de Graaf

MDL_777

Fri Jul 19, 2002 7:53 am

Would a point and shoot with a zoom take good, clear pictures, of high enough quality to be accepted to Airliners.net?

It can be done (I have a few that are on the database that were taken with a P&S), but you need to use really good film and get good scans. A P&S is good to start out with if you are just getting into photography, and want to learn some concepts. However, if you are interested in getting really high-quality images, you will eventually want to explore the option of getting an SLR. I started out with a P&S, and it served its purpose, but I didn't start getting images that I was really happy with until I started using an SLR.

A P&S will serve you well if you are primarily interested in shots where your subject is stationary. But for any shots involving motion, such as takeoffs, landings, approaches, you will want to use an SLR because you have more control with the shutter speed. Finally, the optics on an SLR are just far superior.

As for film, if you use a P&S, you will want to opt for film with an ASA of 100. Anything above that with a P&S will result in unwanted grain.

I don't want to carry a big clunky camera around

You'd be surprised - there are several types of SLR cameras that are light and compact.

Whatever type of camera you decide to buy, have patience, and practice, practice, practice. You may not like your initial results, but once you have developed a feel for what works and what doesn't, you'll start getting the type of results you are looking for.

2912n

Fri Jul 19, 2002 8:30 am

Save your money up and look for a good quality SLR. I bought a Canon AE-1 new in 1978 and still use it today to back up my digital stuff. You can find good used equipment on Ebay or other places for the same money you would spend on a decent point and shoot. You will be happier and a better photographer in the long run.

Vulindlela

Fri Jul 19, 2002 9:36 am

I second the AE-1 idea. I got one on Ebay for $150, but they are available for even less. It is only slightly bigger (with the lens on) than a compact camera. Plus, you will have many more chances to learn about all aspects of photography with this than with a compact camera.
-Kevin
"If you take everything I've accomplished in my entire life and condense it down into 1 day, it looks decent!"

airplanetire

Fri Jul 19, 2002 10:23 am

How much could I get a decent SLR on ebay for with the lens? I don't mean brand new, or even top of the line, but one that will take really good pictures and is not really clunky? The only problem with the SLR still is that I would like to use this camera for other things (i.e. vacations) and I don't want to haul around this giant camera that I can't really fit into my pocket. It doesn't need to be a great fit, but I'd like to be able to get it into my pocket. Thanks for all of your help. I'm taking it all into consideration.

2912n

Fri Jul 19, 2002 12:08 pm

You may want to look at one of the digitals out there. Some that are used here frequently are small enough to fit comfortably in a fanny pack but have the zoom and resolution to give you anet quality. But you are looking at about $500.00 USD.

I think you want the best of both worlds, and that just ain't gonna happen. If you really want quality airplane photos you are gonna have to lug something around. Then when you really get the bug you will find yourself dragging an SLR with a 500mm lens around!!  Smile

Take a look on ebay and in the classifieds of the newspaper. A small investment in good equipment will last you for years and years. Buying a cheap point and shoot will give you cheap.

Craigy

Fri Jul 19, 2002 6:44 pm

"small enough to fit comfortably in a fanny pack"

Can't stop laughing at this. That is one small camera!
Of couse, a fanny is something totally different in the US.

Craig.

airplanetire

Fri Jul 19, 2002 9:45 pm

I'm morally opposed to digital. Okay, maybe not that against them, but I'm not going to spend my money on one. How much could I get a used SLR for? I will probably get $200-$300 for my birthday. That would be because of very generous grandparents and because all of my family lives far away (San Diego, Brussels and nowhere else), they send a little cash instead of something else. I don't want to sound like I expect it though. It's just usually what happens. I don't want to spend all of it on a camera, but I would spend $100-$200. I might be asking for something I can't get, but I might as well find out.

Shawn Patrick

Sun Jul 21, 2002 12:31 am

Well, I'm sorry to tell you that with $100-$200, you will probably have a 1% chance of getting a picture on here, unless it's a sunset photo or a special case photo and you've scanned it damn well.

EGGD

Sun Jul 21, 2002 2:45 am

LOL Craig, I was thinking the same thing  Big thumbs up.

btw. If I was you I'd use a cheap second hand SLR, with a cheap Second hand 70-300mm lens, that is MF... As long as the MF lens is good at locking on (ie. the way to tell that the subject is focused is that there is a green light, and there are arrows to tell you which way to focus..), then you can get excellent results and lots of knowledge at the same time.