Spotting And Photography At DTW

Sun Jul 21, 2002 10:37 am

I am flying on Northwest to Detroit from Boston on Friday, July 26, and returning on the 30th. I would like to do some spotting or photography, especially in the new NWA terminal. How are the authorities about these activities at DTW? Is spotting and picture-taking allowed or will I be chased away by (rent-a) cops citing new security measures. Also where around the perimeter could I go? Thanks, Josh

RE: Spotting And Photography At DTW

Sun Jul 21, 2002 11:54 pm

In a few short words, don't bother inside the terminal. They way the windows aren't tinted you can't shoot through them. Don't know about the outside, but I got the feeling just by looking at the layout of the field that you'll probably be out of luck there too.

Next time don't connect through DTW. MSP is a much more photography friendly airport.

Mark Abbott
Denver, CO
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man...

RE: Spotting And Photography At DTW

Mon Jul 22, 2002 12:28 am

DTW is my closest major airport, and I agree with what was said. DTW seems to have it out for airline photographers compared with other airports I have been to. You can get some decent shots from the new parking garage (about the only place I have been able to take pictures without being investigated). I was excited to try taking pics from inside the new terminal a few weeks ago when I went on vacation, but as it was mentioned, the windows have this horrible black spot type tint on them. If you are passing through and have a few hours, the best bet would be to go to the upper parking garages...but be prepared with a long lens and you'll have to pass security again.