LGW
Topic Author

Help With My Shots In General / Not Rejections!

Mon Jul 22, 2002 2:34 am

Hi all..Now I got a few 'issues' i'd like some help on.

I have e-mailed several people on this and I have had some good help.

But...id like to put a general request out for help as well.

My digital shots appear to need a lot of work put in in Photoshop. Now, im not bothered spending time on images but I didnt expect to have to do quite so much to be honest.

Not sure on the problem. AFAIK I use 'normal' sort of settings.

Now, heres a link to an orginal out of the camera untoucjed shot... http://lgw.envy.nu/SyrianORIGINAL.jpg

What are your first impressions of what the shot needs as I see so many good shots on a.net and id like to be able to take some without having to do tons of changes in Photoshop. - Whites dont appear very 'white'. (and dont say only shoot on sunny days!!! - i know bout dat one Big grin )

LGW (Hoping you all understand me!)

EGGD

RE: Help With My Shots In General / Not Rejections!

Mon Jul 22, 2002 2:41 am

the image looks a little noisy, and a little compressed. I'd suggest using the least compression possible, the lowest ISO possible, and try overexposing on cloudy days by one stop, looks a little dark.

Regards

Dan  Smile

LGW
Topic Author

Mon Jul 22, 2002 2:49 am

I did save the shot on 10 in photoshop not 12 so may look a little compressed...how much do ppl reccomend i over expose by?

Many thanks for your help Dan and any other help.

LGW

Aer Lingus

Mon Jul 22, 2002 4:12 am

Link dont work benny.......

LGW
Topic Author

Mon Jul 22, 2002 4:23 am

ye gotta paste the link inot a new window - that works

LGW

mirage

Mon Jul 22, 2002 5:13 am

I just resized it to 1024px and applied unsharp mask of radius 0,6, strenght 240%, threshold 5.

But if it was mine I would not try to upload it here, one engine is cutted wich is enough to make a bad composition.

Luis

Skymonster

Mon Jul 22, 2002 5:48 am

LGW,

That image is 687k - for a 2160x1440 image I think that is too small, so I suspect that you must have applied some compression already. I also think that Luis has put just a bit too much unsharpening amount into the above.

Having said that, I've just resized it to 1024 and applied unsharp mask amount=100, radius=1.1, threshold=2 and the results looks fine to me - certainly in the accept rather than reject category if I was first screening it.

Don't get too hung up on what the image looks like out of the camera - what I did to it took around 60 seconds.

Andy
There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots