klm744

Digital Camera Noise In Picutes

Mon Jul 22, 2002 7:06 am

I have a dimage 5 and I have noticed that when I take pictures of aircraft with a large amount of sky around them, there is a lot of digital noise in the sky. It is very noticable, and visible throughout the entire sky. This occurs whether cloudy or a clear blue sky. I have read reviews that say that the dimage 5/7 are prone to noise, but the thing is that when I shoot an aircraft on the ground or almost anything else, there is not too much noise. I know that many digital cameras are prone to noise when shooting long night exposures, but are they also to some extent when shooting images with a lot of sky visible? I am thinking of changing cameras to a 707 or a nikon 5700 for this among other reasons, but want to make sure this is a problem isolated to the dimage 5/7 and not all digital cameras. Any input from dimage 5/7 owners or digital users in general would be appreciated

Shawn Patrick

RE: Digital Camera Noise In Picutes

Mon Jul 22, 2002 7:13 am

Before buying the F707, I was seriously considering the Dimage 7, but as I read on review sites and in forums, these cameras have some big issues. It's why Minolta just released the Dimage 7i - they attempted to fix some of those issues, and they did it successfully, more or less. As for the noisy blue sky, all cameras have that to some extent, even film cameras. Blue is just a difficult color to work with.

The F707 would be a great camera to upgrade to. I have seen very very minimal noise with the blue skies, much better than the Dimages can do. If you want more information and/or want to see some of my pictures, feel free to email me at shawnb777@earthlink.net

Cheers!

-Shawn

BA

Mon Jul 22, 2002 7:14 am

I'm not an owner of a Dimage camera. Infact, I shoot film, but I do have a Sony Mavica FD-95 that I use for personal things.

Yes, one of the problems with digital is "digital noise" in blue colored areas, particularily dark blue (such as navy blue).

This I am sure will one day be fixed, but this is one of the problems still going on in digital. Some digitals are better than others when it comes to this digital noise, but pretty much all of them have it.

It has to do with the CCD which overtime will be improved.

From what I've heard, a low ISO helps reduce this digital noise. So you might want to experiment around.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Regards
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

ckw

Mon Jul 22, 2002 7:15 am

All digital cameras are prone to noise in the blue spectrum (even on a cloudy day, there is a fair bit of blue light in the sky). This is why blue sky shots are so important to reviewers. Some cameras cope better than others - a strong case for try before you buy. If the dealer won't let you take a few shots of the sky before taking your money, find another dealer.

Cheers,

Colin

Colin K. Work, Pixstel