gkirk

Do New Photographers Have Any Chance Of...

Wed Jul 31, 2002 7:45 am

uploading to airliners.net successfully???

I am pondering taking part in this "hobby" and think I would be proud to have photo's on a.net. However, I have noticed that standards are very high recently compared to early shots on the database...I dont have a great camera, so would it be pointless trying to submit to a.net until I was a better photographer?

Cheers for input
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Staffan

RE: Do New Photographers Have Any Chance Of...

Wed Jul 31, 2002 7:55 am

Yeah sure...ummm wait...you are Scottish right? Nope, no chance for new photographers  Big grin

Staffan

ckw

Wed Jul 31, 2002 8:00 am

Any 35mm camera is capable of making A.net quality shots. Most rejections are due to poor technique when scanning and processing shots, poor phototechnique (camera shake, poor focus) or poor composition. It is very seldom a shot is rejected because of inadequate equipment - the only case I can think of is when a photographer tries to photograph an aircraft which is really too far away for the lens being used.

But it does take practice and more practice to get the best out or your camera. By submitting shots you'll soom find out if and where you need to improve - then go out and try again.

The biggest mistake any photographer can make is to blame the equipment - or think they need a better camera to get good shots.

Cheers,

Colin
Colin K. Work, Pixstel

gkirk

Wed Jul 31, 2002 8:02 am

Hahaha.....most likely I would be adding to the pics from Glasgow,Edinburgh,PrestwickNewcastle, Manchester and the biggest and busiest airport in the world......Carlisle  Big thumbs up

2912n

Wed Jul 31, 2002 8:07 am

I started out on Anet less than a year ago. I had a decent but not extravagant, digital camera and not a whole lot of photographic experience. By watching, listening to advice and asking advice here and then shooting lots and lots of photos I made it to over 100 photos posted. This of course has really given me the bug and has drug me totally into photography, with the concurrent investment in equipment.

Anyone with the desire to do it, a good eye and reasonable equipment can have lots of fun here and get photos accepted. Just be willing to learn, take criticisim and enjoy yourself. Even if the photos don't get accepted ENJOY yourself. Except for a couple of folks here this is just a hobby. You won't get rich off of it, so relax and have fun.

Tony.

Alaskaairlines

Wed Jul 31, 2002 9:22 am

I am a new photographer here also, I started to shoot in the middle of Feb 02. I have 21 uploaded and lots more coming. I was on vacation for 2 months so that slowes things down. But, yeah, definately go for it!

-Dmitry

hkgspotter1

Wed Jul 31, 2002 10:46 am

If its not digital its tough, TRUST ME !!

LGW

Wed Jul 31, 2002 1:19 pm

Hey Gkirk, It's a great hobby and when you really get into it you will wonder why you didint start it earlier!

It isnt as easy as it looks to take good shot but I would reccommend a digital as you can experiment alot to start with and for a newby thats useful. You have MAN near so yuo have a good testing ground for new shots.

Give it a try and see how good the hobby is!

LGW

Skymonster

Wed Jul 31, 2002 7:10 pm

There's more to aviation photography than airliners.net. Take pictures because you want to, and if some of them get onto airliners.net as a side benefit, so much the better.

Andy
There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots

donder10

Wed Jul 31, 2002 7:31 pm

Airliners.net is a useful barometer to see how you are progressing though.Allows you to weed out mistakes and improve.Er....

gkirk

Wed Jul 31, 2002 8:08 pm

Yeah, thanks for the advice  Big grin

ake0404ar

Wed Jul 31, 2002 8:22 pm

Definitely worth a try.

I am still a second class photographer, way behind Gary Watt (First Class Photographer) and I can only encourage you to give it a go.

Before you get started I would review the basics about photography.
It is no rocket science but you have to understand certain things to take good pictures.

Once you mastered that step, you can go out and practise, practise and again practise....

I can't tell you how many crap photos I have at home when I started a couple of years ago......

Then once you think these are airliners.net material, you have to work on the post processing part. For me this is the most difficult part and valuable.

A lot of times the scanning and post processing technique can result in added or rejected images.

Another advise....if you upload to a.net, just start with bagdes of 3-5 images at a time. Have them processed and then continue.

It does not make sense to upload 100 images, which might look good on your screen, but the a.net screeners think about it differently.

This might save you time and a lot of headaches.

Just ask any forum member, we had tons of people come here complaining that they sat hours in front of their PC, uploading images. In the end all of them were rejected.

Just one final note....we all here are a very friendly group and you can pick our brains when ever you want.

Vasco Garcia

sdjminton

Wed Jul 31, 2002 9:13 pm

Yeah sure they do Graham... I have an entry level digicam at the moment and this was my first submission to A.net. It got accepted too Big grin

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Steve DJ Minton

Submitting to A.net will make you a much better photographer, even if initally all your shots are rejected.

Steve.

andrewmorrell

Fri Aug 02, 2002 1:26 am

Definately. I submitted my first photo in March of this year. After an initial period of 100% rejection, I finalyl had my first accepted. With every note from the screeners, I was able to make the appropriate adjustments and now have 28 photos up. My acceptance rate has gone way up due to the screener's comments.

Andrew
Go Blue!!!

Paulianer

Fri Aug 02, 2002 3:12 am

Hi,

I'm also new to a.net. I've started the hobby in may... and know my first photos were accepted. You will learn fast with every shot you take  Smile/happy/getting dizzy It doesn't matter if you have digital or not...

Regards
Tobi/Germany
Tobias Rose - Hamburg (HAM/EDDH) & (XFW/EDHI) - Canon EOS D60 - ICQ: 235621277 - MSN: Tobias.Rose@gmx.de

brianhames

Fri Aug 02, 2002 6:07 am

It took me about a year of photographing before I got anything uploaded, even then the photos were only uploaded because they were of rare aircraft, I'm only just now getting photos uploaded on a regular basis. And I've been photographing planes for about 2.5 years now.

Danny

Fri Aug 02, 2002 5:05 pm

I have started uploading in April with a lot of pain Big grin (read rejections) at the beginning.
But now I have 90 photos in the database and 33 thousand large views  Smile
Quite a nice beggining.
I do not have digital camera. Just simple EOS 300 with 75-300 lens. And it is enough to get shots accepted here.