cabbott

SIA B777 At CPH

Sat Aug 17, 2002 3:04 am

CPH People

Did anyone else photograph 9V-SVI SIA B777 at Copenhagen on 16th Aug.

This aircraft returned to Copenhagen making a emergency landing due to a complete Engine No1 failure after takeoff. The aircraft was delivered only last week and has 60 hours on the clock. The Engine is a complete rightoff!

I have uploaded some photographs for you to see, they are in the Que and will be processed accordingly, I think you will see how much damage was done to the engine.

The aircraft is stored at SAS Hanger 6 pending investigation from Boeing and RR.

Did anyone photograph it on finals with the smoke coming out??

Colin

Jofa

RE: SIA B777 At CPH

Sat Aug 17, 2002 4:04 am

I was at CPH Wednesday, so to answer your question, nope, didn't get it.

Do you have more info on what will happen now, from what i've heard the aircraft is still at CPH, will they fly in a new engine for it?

cabbott

Sat Aug 17, 2002 4:40 am

The aircraft will be here for at least 1 week more.

They can fit the 777 engine on a 747F so we will just have to wait and see.

Colin

PS Pictures await screening

Jofa

Sat Aug 17, 2002 5:27 am

Looking forward to seeing those pics!

Zander

Sat Aug 17, 2002 7:07 am

I didn't get it either.

Colin, please let us now if you get some more information about when they will fly in a new engine and with what.

Alex

Ejazz

Sat Aug 17, 2002 11:42 am

Colin,

Please don't jump the gun and make assumptions which at present are wrong. Here at SIA we are only aware that a part of the engine cowling dislodged. The crew were advised by CPH Tower and decided to make a precautionary return. The engine did not fail and neither was it shut down. That is the only information we have received until further investigations are carried out. Only after the enquiry will we then know for sure what happened and what failed.

Cheers
Etihad Girl, You're a great way to fly.

Ejazz

Sat Aug 17, 2002 5:24 pm

Statement from Singapore Airlines on this incident:

SINGAPORE, Aug 17 (Reuters) - A two-week old Singapore Airlines aircraft bound for Singapore from Copenhagen was forced to return to the airport there earlier this week after some debris fell from its left engine, the airline said on Saturday.

"A Boeing 777-ER aircraft turned back to Copenhagen on August 15, 2002 after the captain had been advised by air traffic control that some debris might have fallen from the left engine," it said in a statement.

There were 270 passengers on board the Boeing plane.

The airline said the captain did not shut the Trent 892 engine down, which was working normally, but decided to return to the Danish capital after dumping fuel.

It said the problem was not engine-related but there was some damage to the fairing -- a panel placed under aircraft wings for aerodynamic purposes -- and minor impact on a refuel panel.

The aircraft was making its 10th flight, the airline said

NOTE: The Captain did NOT shutdown the engine, which was working normally.
Etihad Girl, You're a great way to fly.