fallingeese

Filters And Lens Hoods

Sun Sep 08, 2002 8:22 am

I'm the proud owner of a Nikon F-65, aswell as a 75-300mm lens, and a 28-80mm lens.

I'm wondering if anyone uses filter and if so what type. Also I am wondering if anyone uses a lens hood.
Mark McWhirter...Contrails Photography

Craigy

RE: Filters And Lens Hoods

Sun Sep 08, 2002 8:51 am

Yes, I always use a skylight 1A or 1B to protect the lens behind it. I also tend to use a hood even when my back is to the sun, as it further protects the end of the lens from knocks and the felt lined ones also attract dust away from the glass.
Craig.

BO__einG

Sun Sep 08, 2002 3:35 pm

I used to use a Lens hood, but it ripped so I had to trash it.
It is definetly good when you shoot indoors to help kill the reflections.

Also you can also consider buying a UV filter just to protect the lens from scratches and excess dust. SOme photographers dont prefer this UV filter such as myself. Costs about 40 bucks for a piece of thin glass.. Poo Poo.

Bo

Lets see how your magical F65 can do ya for tomorrow.  Laugh out loud
You better get some nice telephoto shots for me to see!

Bo
Follow @kimbo_snaps on Instagram or bokimon- on Flickr to see more pics of me and my travels.

The Red Baron

Sun Sep 08, 2002 5:03 pm

Skylight 1A and 1B and UV(0) filters have no noticeable impact on the quality or colour of your photos - they are really nothing more than bit of protective glass.
I always use filters just to protect the lens - they are a small price to pay. If your lens gets scratched its expensive to replace - a filter is a cheap alternative!!!
As for lens hoods I personally don't use them finding them cumbersome to carry around for little benefit - especially the one on the Canon 100-400 which is the size of a plant-pot !!!

cfalk

Sun Sep 08, 2002 6:42 pm

I don't use any filters at all for aviation shots. But I always use the lens hood, even when the sun is behind me. I find that contrast is just a little bit better with it on, but I can't explain why.

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.