Topic Author

No How Did This Pic Make It?

Sat Sep 28, 2002 4:06 pm

Hello guys!

I congratulate Mr. Hunter for getting the following photo accepted:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Colin Hunter

I am just wondering (almost to myself) how in the world did this photo make it to a.net? I haven't ever seen better quality, must be with a D60  Big grin?

I am not flaming ANYONE! So let this thread be useful to all of us and not an argument!

Thanks!

-Dmitry

LGW

RE: No How Did This Pic Make It?

Sat Sep 28, 2002 4:21 pm

Hey!

Whats the point of this post? Yes the quality is poor but seen the date? 1966! thats 36 years ago! not many D60's around then I doint think!

LGW

Alaskaairlines
Topic Author

Sat Sep 28, 2002 4:27 pm

Hey LGW! Sorry, I did not notice the date, thought it was shot recently, thats what makes this one special, and there was no such thing as digital back in the old days.

But, that quality is still a bit on the low side for uploads now-a-days.

-Dmitry

PUnmuth@VIE

Sat Sep 28, 2002 4:39 pm

Dmitry Ben said it already. Just do a search on the DB for Airline: Qantas and Aircraft: 707 the results will be 89pictures in the DB. The take the time and check how many of those have the reg N707JT .....
..... 88
Now back to the first class and lets do some maths OK?
Thats makes how much other Qantas 707 pictures?
 Wow!  Wow!  Wow!  Wow! 1  Wow!  Wow!  Wow!  Wow!
So that micture might fall into the category rare or may be very rare.
And it was explained a couple of times thta the standards are lower for rare pictures. Just check the DB for older pictures which were recently uploaded and you might regocnize that this is very common for shots taken in the 60's and 70's not to meet the requeirements for shots taken nowadays.
Peter
-

Alaskaairlines
Topic Author

Sat Sep 28, 2002 4:45 pm

Understood Peter, I mentioned that I did not notice the date taken.

-Dmitry

KLAX

Sat Sep 28, 2002 5:02 pm

It actually looks really good as a thumbnail! Big grin

-Clovis

rindt

Sat Sep 28, 2002 5:07 pm

Actually, I agree with Dmitry's first thoughts... sure it's a 1966 shot, but there are FAR better shots of QF 707s out there I guarantee it. Sure, they're not on the database yet, but I know someone someday will upload something. I collect oldies slides, and quite frankly, that shot is poor - even for "rare" standards, which it isn't (QF had 707s for decades, it's just that no one has uploaded a good shot as of yet).

Rare = something that lasts only 8months-1year(tops), and isn't shot very heavily. The QF707 fits in neither category. Just because there isn't a shot on the database doesn't make it rare. So if you upload a shot of an American MD-80 whose reggie isn't in the database yet, surely doesn't make it rare.

-Rob
What other people think of you is none of your business!

Skymonster

Sat Sep 28, 2002 5:18 pm

Rob,

The rules are not set by the screeners. It has been made clear in the past that "rare" in airliners.net terms constitutes something that is not in the database. Recently, guidance has been issued that means less lattitude is given for brand new subjects that are "rare", especially where the subject is likely to be photographed again and again in future (albeit that any "rare" but current airplane could crash tomorrow and become truely very rare). Sure, I have pictures of QF 707s that I have acquired and it is possible that the owner of the copyright on some of these will come along here and upload them. None the less, guidance has been given and I (and presumably several other screeners) believe that this picture falls within airliners.net's definition of "rare" and therefore lowering of the standards was justified.

Andy
There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots