Do You Take Your Camera Everywhere You Go?

Sun Oct 06, 2002 7:10 am

Hey all,

I'm sort of wondering if you all take your camera everywhere you go? The reason I ask this is this: I often find great photo opportunities, but rarely have my camera with me at that point in time. (Examples - DC-3 that landed at my home airport, breath-taking mountain wave action as seen from my valley, etc...) But I'm afraid to leave my expensive photo gear in the car, being subject to heat and cold. Will heat and cold affect the photo gear? I guess that's my main question.

'Speed

AA 777

RE: Do You Take Your Camera Everywhere You Go?

Sun Oct 06, 2002 7:18 am

Its like the American Express Card...I never leave home without it!  Smile

AA 777
Matt
CRJ-700 FO

LOT767-300ER

Sun Oct 06, 2002 9:24 am

Well I dont hault it around everywhere.....i go cameraless to school......hehehehe

No i only take it when i go to the airport or when im going somewhere farther than around the burbs here.

JeffM

Sun Oct 06, 2002 9:50 am

I take one of three cameras everywhere, with the exception of the corner store. You just never know.

Jeff

2912n

Sun Oct 06, 2002 10:25 am

I don't always have all my serious gear with me, but I try to have a camera in the car, just in case.

If you keep it in a quality case/bag, especially covered with stuff, you should be okay with the temp variations in a car. But go through the film on a regualr basis.

Tony

serge

Sun Oct 06, 2002 10:28 am

For flight lessons for example, I leave the camera at home! Thats like the only time....

Its kinda nice strolling accross the ramp when Big Sky or Fedex is right next to you, but you got to draw a line somewhere (trying to learn to fly, not to take photos).

Once I get my PPL however, the camera will be with me at all times  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

...Serge

CcrlR

Sun Oct 06, 2002 11:06 am

if I am going near the airport then I might take it. Like if my aunt is going to this store called Continental Sales which is under the approach of the three 31 runways at MDW. I ususally take it with me if I have a chance to go down there. If I am going down to a airport like on a trip out of town and I have to ride on a plane I'll take it. Not if I am taking flight lessons cause I did once and I don't want to do it every time I take them.
"He was right, it is a screaming metal deathtrap!"-Cosmo (from the Fairly Oddparents)

ExitRow

Sun Oct 06, 2002 11:18 am

One time... at band camp...

Actually... one time, I went to the Museum of Flight to pick something up at the gift store and noticed they had a HUGE section of parking spaces cordoned off. (The parking lot shares the perimeter fence of Boeing Field and adjoins the main taxiway.) I asked the security guard what the hubbub was all about. He tells me the Museum was receiving an F-14 Tomcat donation THAT DAY and it was going to be accompanied by a Super Hornet.

Did I have my camera?

No!

I sat there and watched these two beautiful planes fly in, do a carrier break, land, taxi through the fence and park no more than 10 ft. from my slobbering face. People were being blown back by jet blast left and right. It was great. I was thrilled and pissed all at the same time. (Thrissed?)

Now, whenever I know my commute will take me past BFI, I take my camera.

Just in case...

The End.

clickhappy

Sun Oct 06, 2002 11:25 am

I bring everything with me, pretty much everywhere. I got this nifty backback style camera case, has room for my checkbook, wallet, cell phone, mini-scanner, and spare batteries, plus my converters and filters etc.

photopilot

Sun Oct 06, 2002 11:57 am

Murphy's Law.....

The odds of seeing a stunning photo opportunity are inversely proportional to the odds of having your camera with you.

================================

For the slight inconvenience of carrying a smaller point/shoot type of camera (I carry a Nikon Coolpix 950) with you, it saves kicking yourself later. And yes, three of my accepted photos on A.net are from the Coolpix 950. Just remember that when shooting with "only" a 2 megapixel camera, to get close and fill the frame with your image. You really don't have the luxury of cropping later.

Steve.

Oh, and I carry it and other necessities in a 12" long by 6" diameter soft-leather shoulder duffel. OK, Ok, Ok..... go ahead and call it a male purse.  Insane Maybe the women had the right idea all along. But I never miss a photo opportunity.

ExitRow

Sun Oct 06, 2002 12:21 pm

Steve... it's not a man purse. It's European. (Seinfeld reference.)

Big grin

LOT767-300ER

Sun Oct 06, 2002 12:22 pm

Scott.....

I so envy you that you live right right by the Boeing Field and such dude....all we have is the Boeing Headquarters....and a ton of UA A320s at ORD

planeboy

Sun Oct 06, 2002 12:50 pm

WOW - Looks like the cameras are going to all the right places...

Sometimes it is all of no ones business...

Enjoy your own...

Sun Oct 06, 2002 11:21 pm

Thanks you all for the replies,

'Speed

cfalk

Mon Oct 07, 2002 2:04 am

Many professional photographers will always have in their pocket a small "baby camera", like the Olympus mju, just in case they bump into something unexpectedly. Lets face it, carrying a full-size kit everywhere is not practical, but you never know when something intereting will pop up.

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

LOT767-300ER

Mon Oct 07, 2002 2:06 am

I agree Charles,

Its pointless carying a camera when your going downtown (oh wait there is CGX  Smokin cool ) but i mean if your going out or something......

chris28_17

Mon Oct 07, 2002 3:17 am

I bring everything with me, pretty much everywhere. I got this nifty backback style camera case, has room for my checkbook, wallet, cell phone, mini-scanner, and spare batteries, plus my converters and filters etc.

where ya gonna be this weekend? let's meet in a comfortable dark alley somewhere, remind me to bring my knife and crowbar.

haha, actually as i write this i looked at your profile, ironically i'll be in SEA this friday... better watch your back  Wink/being sarcastic j/k

chris

Mon Oct 07, 2002 8:26 am

Always!...

If not I wouldn't have gotten an Aero (something) MD80, Air Transat L1011, Delta DC3, or the FedEx corprate Challenger today!

Brian