Joge
Topic Author

Strange Photo...

Tue Oct 08, 2002 1:19 am

Just take a look (is not mine):

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Gerard A. Mark

I've seen 5-engined 747s (on photos), but a 4-engined Tristar?

What do you think, guys? Could this photo be fake or what? At least the pic is blurry. Big grin

-Joge
Bula!

LGW

RE: Strange Photo...

Tue Oct 08, 2002 1:35 am

Not a fake I think as there is another L-1011 shot with 4 engines in the db.

I have to say a bit of resizing wouldnt go a miss on this one  Big thumbs up

LGW

2912n

Tue Oct 08, 2002 1:53 am

Did you happen to look at the comments? It is not a fake. This is the way a spare engine is transported to another location. (There are several photos of other airliners carrying spares like this.)

It is not the greatest quality, but it is an older photo showing somehting unusual, so the standards are easier as far a quality. It is a fascinating shot.

Tony

Ljungdahl

Tue Oct 08, 2002 2:35 am

Here's another one...

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Christos Psarras

Johan... Big grin

Joge
Topic Author

Tue Oct 08, 2002 2:49 am

Nice, nice!

Athens again!  Big grin

Seems like I haven't browsed all the photos taken there, or maybe I've just forgot that one or...

-Joge
Bula!

ExitRow

Tue Oct 08, 2002 2:54 am

"Fake" is a four letter "F" word.

Don't throw it around lightly.

Joge
Topic Author

Tue Oct 08, 2002 3:06 am

Did you happen to look at the comments?

Comments? What comments?  Big grin

Don't throw it around lightly

I didn't say it IS fake. Just asking other people's opinions...  Insane

-Joge
Bula!

ExitRow

Tue Oct 08, 2002 3:17 am

Joge,

Just contact the photographer. Ask him/her first. It's a common courtesy and EXTREMELY easy to do. Questioning the authenticity of a photograph in a public forum without the input of the original photographer is akin to gossip.

I'm sorry. It's just plain rude and I really wish there was less of it here.

Joge
Topic Author

Tue Oct 08, 2002 3:25 am

Ok, ExitRow...

So this is how you react on every questions and opinions and posts in this forum?  Angry

I believe this forum is made for questions about the photos at A.net and aviation photography in general.

Just go and take a look how many posts like "what camera should buy" or "what camera you have" there are at this forum.  Laugh out loud

LOL, just ridicilous...

-Joge
Bula!

gkirk

Tue Oct 08, 2002 3:30 am

The spare engine looks smaller to me than the other engines, but probably just an Optical illusion  Smile
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

ExitRow

Tue Oct 08, 2002 3:34 am

Joge-

So this is how you react on every questions and opinions and posts in this forum?

No. Very different. Do a search on the word "fake" in this forum and you'll see I am not in the minority on this issue.

Wondering about about "how" a photogaph is taken is very different than saying:

What do you think, guys? Could this photo be fake or what? At least the pic is blurry. 

You are looking for consensus. And doing so without contacting the shooter FIRST is just plain wrong. What you are doing can only serve to DISCOURAGE good photographers from submitting work to this website.

LOL, just ridicilous...

Your condescension reveals that your motives are less honorable than just honest curiosity...

This is a touchy subject around here. You're lucky your thread starter was not deleted as flamebait.

Joge
Topic Author

Tue Oct 08, 2002 3:53 am

FFS, ExitRow

It's a common courtesy and EXTREMELY easy to do

Then you just contact the admins and tell them to remove this topic. It's EXTRAMELY easy to do. You don't have to debate here and with that ethical gabble.
Bula!

cfalk

Tue Oct 08, 2002 3:55 am

Joge,

I think you've been around this forum long enought to recognize that whenever the word "fake" is mentioned, things can rapidly get emotional. You can ask things like "how is this possible", and whatnot, but mention the word "fake", and it's like waving a red flag in front of the bull - you can expect to get run over.

Just a friendly reminder.

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

Sabena 690

Tue Oct 08, 2002 4:02 am

Hi Charles,

It is just because Joge is already such a long time around on the forum, that I know that he just wanted to ask a normal question. He certainly did not want to offend someone. He would never do this, therefore he is already too long around on a.net, and has already taken enough pictures in his life to know this.

Best regards,
Frederic

Joge
Topic Author

Tue Oct 08, 2002 4:20 am

Charles,

The point was to start a discussion of that photo. Now see for instance LGW's or Johan's reply. My point was to talk about the pic quality... Well, I won't start another debate, I think this topic and subject is over now.

It's just somebody take it too seriously...

-Joge
Bula!

mirage

Tue Oct 08, 2002 4:49 am

"Just take a look (is not mine):

I've seen 5-engined 747s (on photos), but a 4-engined Tristar?

What do you think, guys? Could this photo be fake or what? At least the pic is blurry.

-Joge"

Instead of asking: "Could this photo be fake or what?"

You could have asked: "Why does it carries 4 engines?"

Your initial post was in fact questioning the autenticy of this photo, not the best attitude as your first worry should be to understand why the 4 engines.

Luis

2912n

Tue Oct 08, 2002 5:14 am

Joge, here are the comments that were on the comments section of the photo.:

"Anyone ever seen a Tristar with Four engines? This is the way Bwee transported their spare engines from overhaul at Rolls Royce, LHR via YYZ, the aircraft would overnight at Toronto, the engine would be attached, then on to Trinidad next day."

Tony.

Ljungdahl

Tue Oct 08, 2002 5:18 am

- In my previous post I wrote: Here's another one...

To avoid any confusion, what I meant was: Here's another one with 4 engines...!!

Johan  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Joge
Topic Author

Tue Oct 08, 2002 5:25 am

Luis,

I KNOW why it carried that fourth engine. That's why I didn't ask it that way! This is photography forum, if I wanted to know why it carries that extra engine, I would have posted that message to other forum. I thought the same thing GKirk did, just why I doubt it.

IMHO, ExitRow is the one acting here inappropriately.

What you are doing can only serve to DISCOURAGE good photographers from submitting work to this website.

If I'm flaming here, I'm not alone...
Bula!

Joge
Topic Author

Tue Oct 08, 2002 5:36 am

Johan,

To avoid any confusion, what I meant was: Here's another one with 4 engines...!!

No worries! That's what I meant! You know how I love that classic stuff from the 80s and especially all those special visitors from ATH.  Smokin cool

-Joge
Bula!

mirage

Tue Oct 08, 2002 5:47 am

Nice attitude, keep it.

Luis

ExitRow

Tue Oct 08, 2002 6:24 am

IMHO, ExitRow is the one acting here inappropriately.

Defending a photographer that has an image pass the screening process from someone who starts a thread questioning its validity in a public forum without ever contacting that photographer first... is inappropriate?

You think the photo is fake. If it were about engine ferrying, it should be in Tech/Ops. You think it's fake and you want to drag this guy over the coals in the court of public opinion.

And I am acting inappropriately?

To quote you:
"LOL, just ridicilous..." (sic)

Tue Oct 08, 2002 7:46 am

I'm with ExitRow on this one.

Threads like this are just open invites for those armchair critics to voice there [cough]expert opinions! and we've all seen them at work in the past > Insane

VH-ADG

EGGD

Tue Oct 08, 2002 7:54 am

Come on now, stop the bickering already!

To be honest, I don't think this topic should have been posted in the first place, HOWEVER I'm sure Joge will not do it again  Big grin. Just cool it everybody, its not the end of the world!

cricri

Tue Oct 08, 2002 6:09 pm

Sorry Joge, many persons seem to believe that you are stupid, but thank god, i know you  Wink/being sarcastic I will close this topic window before i start asking myself who the stupid persons really are here...
Cheers Joge.
Cricri.

mirage

Tue Oct 08, 2002 9:26 pm

Funny cricri, how you use the word "stupid" when nobody here said that, so that's only your opinion.

Clearly you don't have a clue on photography ethics so don't come here acting as a "Mr. know it all".

Luis

gkirk

Tue Oct 08, 2002 10:47 pm

LOL. Cricri, Joge enjoying being bashed?  Laugh out loud
Just because Cricri doesnt take pics of planes, mean he doesnt have a clue on photography ethics?
Uh huh...

ExitRow

Tue Oct 08, 2002 11:36 pm

No one seems to mind Gerard A. Mark (and his photo) being bashed...

I stand up for a photographer being unfairly criticised (IMO) and this is the reaction.

Real great guys. Way to go.

mirage

Wed Oct 09, 2002 12:02 am

GKirk, are you being honest with yourself or just trying to seduce a chat operator.

I know what I'm saying, you can think whatever you like.

Luis

gkirk

Wed Oct 09, 2002 1:32 am

I know the photo is real, trying to seduce a fellow chat operator huh....LMAO That was pretty funny actually, LOL  Big thumbs up
What Joge was trying to say, I think, was that the size of the spare engine, may seem to imply to a few people that the photo could be possibly fake.

FACT

Wed Oct 09, 2002 4:23 am

This thread is in violation of the rules of this particular forum.

What do you think, guys? Could this photo be fake or what?

"or what" is a throwaway statement used in conversation when the speaker doesn't really entertain the idea of an "or what" - it's presence in the sentence is meaningless.
Therefore, the question really being asked is "could this photo be fake" and we don't want people doing that sort of thing here - criticising or questioning the validity of a posted photo is not on - it's insulting to the photographer concerned, least of all.

Should you see a photo that looks fake or suspicious, email Johan or me.
If you see something about an aircraft that looks weird to you, post a thread in Tech-Ops and ask the learned ones who hang out there for an explanation.

Whatever you do, don't diss your fellow photographers!

Joge, we've corresponded by email before, and you struck me as being a decent bloke. Please don't spoil that impression by posting threads like this again, OK?

Cheers,
Andrew D
Corrections Editor, Airliners.net
there are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary, and those who don't

Wed Oct 09, 2002 5:18 am

Oi!

Seducing Cricri is my job!  Wink/being sarcastic

VH-ADG

Sabena 690

Wed Oct 09, 2002 5:38 am

Hi FACT,

"or what" is a throwaway statement used in conversation when the speaker doesn't really entertain the idea of an "or what" - it's presence in the sentence is meaningless.

You have to know this: lot's of people don't speak English as a native language. I sometimes have to correct myself because others misunderstood what I said, just because I couldn't put it in a right sentence.

English is also not the native language of Jorgos. Maybe this can clarify his sentence?

To be honnest, I did not understand this sentence as an offensive one, you did. Maybe this prooves what I say?

Just a thought...

And I think that this topic is still a way better than the typical 'why accepted' threads (if you want to see examples of such threads/replies, just do a search for the replies in this forum of forum member B-OTCH  Big grin).

Regards,
Frederic

dripstick

Wed Oct 09, 2002 7:19 am

Interesting discussion.

I had one of my photos the subject of such a silly accusation and it surprised me more than insulted me. (Cessna landing with 2 'badpeople' walking underneath. I had posted it in an aviation newsgroup.

If YOU, yes YOU!...suspect the authenticity of a photograph in the database or otherwise, then E-mail the alleged "FAKER" and see what your response will be. I'd like to read the replies quite honestly.

Dripstick

What's another word for thesaurus?